The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #51
bowcoffin

Re: Whats the next "67 to 72"??

What I'm hoping for is that they redo the 67-72 era similar to how they have the Camaro, Challenger, and Charger. It would be fairly cool to see a new version of our trucks.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #52
muley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcoffin View Post
What I'm hoping for is that they redo the 67-72 era similar to how they have the Camaro, Challenger, and Charger. It would be fairly cool to see a new version of our trucks.
I'm with you fellers
WORK : A necessary evil that finances
what I really like to do.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #53
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Kit trucks!

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #54
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDSmith View Post
See, it is this thinking that really needs to stop. A modern vehicle is far safer, and FAR better designed than ANY old vehicle.

The 67-72 trucks are wonderful trucks, and they are also death traps. If it is a 10mph collision, I would much rather be in the 67-72, as it will barely have a dent. If it is anything over 10mph though, a new car will protect the occupants far better.

Oh and cars that are mass produced are ALWAYS built on a cost basis. If you want quality, buy a ferrari, or something else hand made. Since the model T was built, it has been a cost basis. The allure of the old trucks is not their quality, or safety, or efficiency, and especially not their power. An old truck is easy to work on. I have seen lego sets more complicated than the 67-72 chevy pickups. Honestly, a monkey could probably work on them and make them run. It is about as simple as a car can get, and that is NOT indicative of quality, as simple and quality are not mutually inclusive.
Yes current cars are safer when you consider them from a technology standpoint. We use less materials just with different geometry to disperse impact force. that doesn't mean that the materials are better, they are just cut and placed better. Add in the use of airbags, and updated seatbelts, of course they are safer, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are better built. If you don't believe that, cut a piece out of a new fender , and then cut a piece out of an old fender, and try to bend them. The older one is more stout, hell you can see that even in the repro's. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, we took pride in manufacturing our American made products. Things were done a lot less automated than they are now. And your right, old chevy trucks are simple, they didn't need to be complicated, there weren't a bunch of pansy ass metro men driving them, they were built for a purpose, to haul, pull, and drag your **** from point A to point B, and they did that quite well. The fact that so many of them are still around and running today is testament that they are well built.
When I refer to cars being produced on a cost bias, I am referring to the fact that out factories are willing to pack up and move overseas, to increase their profit margins. Because I'm almost positive that the dude over in Asia somewhere living in a shipping container apartment building doesn't give a damn about having pride in a car or part he is building for that American car company, he's just worried about his $3.70 he's going to earn today. And as far as high speed collisions go, I've been in them in both new cars and old cars (in fact I was in a roll over in a 63 chevy shortbed, rolled 4 times and all I got was a cut on my leg where it hit the bottom of the dash) and I can say it doesn't make a difference what your in, it only matters what you hit and how hard you hit it.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #55
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcoffin View Post
That would be awesome... as long as it doesn't turn out like the hhr, or the ssr... those kinda failed.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #56
factorystock

Simple technology that a backyard mechanic understands is the main appeal for keeping older vehicles. We don't need expensive dealerships at 100 bucks an hour to diagnose a computer problem. Defensive driving is part of the deal. '64-'66 pickups (most unique styling of any Chevy pickup ever made) are becoming the "next '67-'72". Many ( even members on this site) are jumping back to the pickups that really started it all.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #57
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
That would be awesome... as long as it doesn't turn out like the hhr, or the ssr... those kinda failed.
The HHR was hugely successful on many fronts. They sold almost a half million of them over a 6 year production run. How many "specialty vehicles" can claim numbers like that?

Add to that almost 9,000 SS models over 3 years and you have a quite successful model line.

Try to find an HHR SS for short money these days. If it's in decent shape, you are paying a handsome sum for it... If you can even find one. And finding an HHR SS panel that someone is willing to part with, is almost as rare as a unicorn.

I would almost say that is going to be one of the great collector cars of the future
Old 01-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #58
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
The HHR was hugely successful on many fronts. They sold almost a half million of them over a 6 year production run. How many "specialty vehicles" can claim numbers like that?

Add to that almost 9,000 SS models over 3 years and you have a quite successful model line.

Try to find an HHR SS for short money these days. If it's in decent shape, you are paying a handsome sum for it... If you can even find one. And finding an HHR SS panel that someone is willing to part with, is almost as rare as a unicorn.

I would almost say that is going to be one of the great collector cars of the future
really?....my father in law who lives with us has one and it's not that great. under powered and feels and looks like the whole car is made of plastic. He has because his credit was poor and the dealership had 8 or so of them on the lot that they couldn't give away. I hate riding in that thing. It's like driving a submarine, deep sitting position with shallow windows. The sales numbers were probably so high is because they sold a ton as rental fleet cars.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #59
scmense

I think the ZR-2 version of the S-10 will be a sought after 20 years from now.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #60
PDXk5

Here is my daily driver.

1994 Blazer (last year of the full size blazer, they re-branded them as Tahoes starting in 1995)
I bought this rig new and drive it every day to work, trips, camping, hauling etc.
240,738 miles
I'm not sure that it will be collectable (like a few of you are saying here) but I can tell you it is a solid, dependable rig. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. It's all original and looks and drives like new!

LIKE A ROCK !
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #61
leftybass209

Quote:

The HHR is on a doomed platform that won't survive another 6-10 years. It's based on a Chevrolet Cobalt chassis, and has many recall issues, and issues that GM refused to fix. I know because I own one. Here in CA the HHR isn't special in any form, and regularly see declining sales prices depending on the mileage and if it's a dealer sale. Being an initial sales success and an enduring classic are two vastly different things.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #62
factorystock

On newer modern technology: yes, safer, until your electronic control gismos fail while driving or your air bag goes off unexpectedly.

Last edited by factorystock; 01-18-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #63
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmense View Post
I think the ZR-2 version of the S-10 will be a sought after 20 years from now.
It may very well be, it really is a very cool vehicle. Pretty surprising they actually made such a thing actually, put a whole new chassis and suspension under an existing vehicle, it's usually the exact opposite. ...but the ZR-2 will never be the next 67-72, parts for these have been either expensive or hard to come by almost from the beginning. The ZQ8 equipped S-10s and Sonomas are also very cool, although mine throws a "you won't be passing your smog" code every 2 years like a clock.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #64
skorpioskorpio

Quote:

Really surprised the production figures were that high, I really don't see many of these in LA. The Chrysler equivalent, the PT Cruiser, on the other hand are like cockroaches. I don't really see the retro vehicles being highly collectable, though they may inspire the originals to be more collectable. But then again we're apparently suckers for remakes, I mean even the 2 early front runners for the 2016 presidential race could just use old bumper stickers for promotion.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #65
BlackedOut67shorty

The dealer my mom got her hhr from wanted to buy hers for a good price because of how popular they were, personally its not to bad of a car, drives like a go cart that's about it. As for recalls with how much technology is crammed into these cars and you may not think it but anything can go wrong, even the new ford ecoboost mustangs had recalls. I just pray my car isn't one of them, already had to get a coil pack replaced before I hit 9000 miles. As for the next 67 to 72, we might be seeing more 73 to 87 and the s10s would prolly get more love too, I know I miss mine alot.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #66
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
The year is 2035 or so. Which trucks are desirable and being restored then, like the 67 to 72 are now?
i know opinions are like you-know-whats (everybody has one) but i don't think there will be a newer era of chevy trucks that will be as popular as the 67-72. 20 years ago while everyone was focused on muscle cars, people probably didn't figure any pickup would be this popular. 20 years from now the thing will probably be wagons or vans or something odd...

but chevy has made some good looking trucks! i hope they do something awesome in 2018 for the 100th anniversary...

Name:  67-72.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  73-80.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  81-87.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  88-98.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  99-06.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  53.1 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #67
Mock1

I hope that the 67-72 trucks are as desired as they are now. I gave up my 72 Longhorn before I could really get stared on it good. Kick myself everyday for that. I also have a 2003 Z71 Off Road stepside with the 4.8, great truck but, the step sides are plastic, gauge cluster dont work, and the cats need to be gutted. My 2001 Sonoma is cool, hauls ass , takes a corner at 60 without a sweat, and rides like a car.
I guess you could say I got different trucks for whatever mood im in.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
i know opinions are like you-know-whats (everybody has one) but i don't think there will be a newer era of chevy trucks that will be as popular as the 67-72. 20 years ago while everyone was focused on muscle cars, people probably didn't figure any pickup would be this popular. 20 years from now the thing will probably be wagons or vans or something odd...

but chevy has made some good looking trucks! i hope they do something awesome in 2018 for the 100th anniversary...

Attachment 1351361

Attachment 1351362

Attachment 1351363

Attachment 1351364

Attachment 1351365
And they always look good in red! My last 2 (although current project will be Switchblade Silver):

Name:  IMG_0649.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #69
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
The '64-'66 will rise to the top as the most collectable Chevy pickup ever made.
No big block, buddy buckets, tilt or air. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SURVIVOR-196...p2047675.l2557
Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #70
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
No big block, buddy buckets, tilt or air. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SURVIVOR-196...p2047675.l2557
There are different measures of collectabilty vs popularity. While they are very collectable and well liked, as that auction shows, that era is just too rare and expensive to be the next 67-72 in my opinion, especially in the midwest and east. One of the key things to the popularity of the 67-72's is the strength in numbers. I've been casually watching for an authentic pre 67 4x4 for a long time now and nothing is around here under 10,000 and there have only been 2 in the same number of years around here. Even 2wd's are practically nonexistent here.

Trucks like the GMT400's don't have the numbers problem and many of the younger guys have good memories of them as kids. That is what got many of us 67-72 fans started

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #71
special-K
Special Order

All regular cab shortbed GM Trucks will always be desired as more than just another truck. There will never be another 67-72, 60-66, 55-59, 47-55, 41-47, etc. They have all been loved and cherished through time and you can't go by the fact that more people have caught on to all of them more in recent years than ever. It's nothing new, just a whole lot of people have opened their eyes and bought what has been out there all along. There are many factors, such as internet, magazines, TV coverage, reproduction parts support, and just good old monkey see-monkey do. Once you see something and you like it you want it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #72
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
I am going to say the 88-97...
Quote:

I traded my 09 HHR SS last year for a 11 Volt. Talk about a change! Obviously i knew what i was getting into. The Volt actually has more room up front. Rides and drives nice. I drive around with my foot to the floor. Has a lot of torque though. I had to buy a space saver spare and strap it and a jack in the cargo area!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #73
UMDSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Yes current cars are safer when you consider them from a technology standpoint. We use less materials just with different geometry to disperse impact force. that doesn't mean that the materials are better, they are just cut and placed better. Add in the use of airbags, and updated seatbelts, of course they are safer, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are better built. If you don't believe that, cut a piece out of a new fender , and then cut a piece out of an old fender, and try to bend them. The older one is more stout, hell you can see that even in the repro's. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, we took pride in manufacturing our American made products. Things were done a lot less automated than they are now. And your right, old chevy trucks are simple, they didn't need to be complicated, there weren't a bunch of pansy ass metro men driving them, they were built for a purpose, to haul, pull, and drag your **** from point A to point B, and they did that quite well. The fact that so many of them are still around and running today is testament that they are well built.
When I refer to cars being produced on a cost bias, I am referring to the fact that out factories are willing to pack up and move overseas, to increase their profit margins. Because I'm almost positive that the dude over in Asia somewhere living in a shipping container apartment building doesn't give a damn about having pride in a car or part he is building for that American car company, he's just worried about his $3.70 he's going to earn today. And as far as high speed collisions go, I've been in them in both new cars and old cars (in fact I was in a roll over in a 63 chevy shortbed, rolled 4 times and all I got was a cut on my leg where it hit the bottom of the dash) and I can say it doesn't make a difference what your in, it only matters what you hit and how hard you hit it.
Once again, it is thinking like this that is full of anecdotal evidence and a lack of scientific facts that perpetuate poor thinking.

Let me correct you, point by point.
  1. Modern Steel - Current steel is FAR better than the steel from the 1960's. Older vehicles are made of mild steel, which is only currently used in developing countries. High strength steel is a more recent steel that has been incorporated in vehicles in the last 20+ years. Source: http://www.automotivemanufacturingso...cost-effective
  2. Better built - "Engineering was subordinated to the questionable aesthetics of nonfunctional styling at the expense of economy and safety. And quality deteriorated to the point that by the mid-1960s American-made cars were being delivered to retail buyers with an average of twenty-four defects a unit".Source -http://www.history.com/topics/automobiles. 24 defects!!!!! Modern cars tend not to leave with more than 1 or 2, as consumers have far more options. This is very basic business sense.
  3. Automation - Sorry buddy, but robots are better at repetitive tasks than humans. I'd rather have a vehicle made with tolerances of fractions of a millimeter than fractions of an inch. Automation = quality control. Once again, business 101. Also, your nostalgia about vehicles made in the 50's and 60's being American built pride is pure anecdote. They were built by blue collar American workers, many of whom hated their job then as they do now. People don't really change that much.
  4. Outsourcing labor - Once again, you are using anecdotal evidence. I'd suggest you take a look at where Chevy has their factories located. I'll save you the trouble, here they are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tors_factories
    Most still in the U.S., including their pickup line. Here is a little business lesson for you. Many companies realized that it was MORE costly fixing quality control issues and issuing recalls of products produced in overseas factories.
  5. Pansy Men - ????, you really need to get with the times. New trucks can out tow, have more horsepower, better gas mileage, and are more comfortable than the pickups from the 1960's and 1970's. A factory 350 with a 4 barrel was factory rated at 250hp. My modern v8 in my mustang is rated at 420hp. The factory 350 from the 70's got 12-16mpg, current trucks with v8's get 20+. Factory towing from a 1970 C10 with v8 and 3.73 gears was 9500lbs. Modern chevy 1500 with the v8 is rated at 12000lbs max for the trailer alone. This is also a 4 door truck.
  6. So many still around - It isn't because they are well built, it is because a retarded monkey could keep them running. Similar to an ak-47, these trucks are built loose, with sloppy tolerances. So many guys keep these trucks "working", and by working I mean their engines are tuned to run, but not run efficiently, and the truck has rust holes, and patches, and how many parts have been replaced?

Look, I like the old trucks for their simplicity, and the fact I don't give a **** if someone dents mine, but they aren't better, they are just cheaper to maintain. My problem is that almost every thing you said was just wrong. You need to do some research. I'm glad you survived your rollover, but you were incredibly lucky.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #74
UMDSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
....interesting but here is a simple correction:
'The younger set has resigned itself to their parents making payments on their import until the novelty runs out, then starting over'....lol
ahhh, modern parenting...lol

Coley

Here, let me fix that for you.

The younger set has resigned itself to fixing the ****ed up situation your generation has gotten us into. .

This board sounds like a barber shop half the time, with ignorant old men *****ing about how "things were better" while the current generation is funding their retirement, and the old guys are the ones that drove us into this debt, let our infrastructure fail, and then complain people today are lazy. I'm 34, have worked since I was 14, worked my way through 1 bachelors and 2 masters degrees. Picked up a blue collar trade when my field collapsed in the early 2000's and moved back into white collar when I was able. I am not alone. Young people tend to be more realistic and thusly disillusioned because they realize they have been dealt a **** hand. The American dream your generation was promised is nearly unobtainable for a lot of my generation.

I bet back when you were working a blue collar job you had a pension, and health insurance, and a college education was affordable.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #75
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDSmith View Post
Here, let me fix that for you.

The younger set has resigned itself to fixing the ****ed up situation your generation has gotten us into. .

This board sounds like a barber shop half the time, with ignorant old men *****ing about how "things were better" while the current generation is funding their retirement, and the old guys are the ones that drove us into this debt, let our infrastructure fail, and then complain people today are lazy. I'm 34, have worked since I was 14, worked my way through 1 bachelors and 2 masters degrees. Picked up a blue collar trade when my field collapsed in the early 2000's and moved back into white collar when I was able. I am not alone. Young people tend to be more realistic and thusly disillusioned because they realize they have been dealt a **** hand. The American dream your generation was promised is nearly unobtainable for a lot of my generation.

I bet back when you were working a blue collar job you had a pension, and health insurance, and a college education was affordable.
Being an old guy my only question is, are your degrees in law, medicine, engineering or computer science?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Closed Thread