The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
YoungBurb88

Question Seat for a box

Situation, I have an 88 Burb with removable 3rd row seating and want to install a system. However, it will be parked in an area where I'll need to keep the system hidden for safety reasons. Does any know if a removable third row seat can be turned into a speaker box? If so, how difficult is th his to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim Hawkins - Free Bird Parody
YoungBurb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Seat for a box

Tint the windows and never turn it up loud around your house has worked for me for years.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
PaPA_BeAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Tint the windows and never turn it up loud around your house has worked for me for years.
Yea My neighbor does the the same,I didnt kno he had a system forever...
His truck isnt the most secure so he dosent advertise it...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

one of my buddies has a newer burb..iirc like a 96 andways he removed the 3rd seat.. and went junk picking found a broken dresser.. then took the draw faces off the draws
and glued them to the dresser.. brock off a leg and removed a few of the draw pulls hardware and glued down the rest so it not rattle..
and this covered his box for years.. as anyone the looked in only saw a broken used up dresser.. worked like a charm
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
one of my buddies has a newer burb..iirc like a 96 andways he removed the 3rd seat.. and went junk picking found a broken dresser.. then took the draw faces off the draws
and glued them to the dresser.. brock off a leg and removed a few of the draw pulls hardware and glued down the rest so it not rattle..
and this covered his box for years.. as anyone the looked in only saw a broken used up dresser.. worked like a charm
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Plan B buy a shotgun and clean it on the front porch once a week works good too.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
E.Furgal
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post

hay you laugh.. he had the stock rims jacked, but not the audio
E.Furgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Pop's C-10

do shallow mount sub in tha back door(s)..a lil tint..color match tha grills to tha panels..folks would never know they where in there unless you turn em up.
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
jimmydean

I did eight 8" subs in the bench seat of an extra cab Silverado, you can do the same in the burb. The cover over the speakers was modified for more air flow, but it looked stock, as was the goal.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I don't know if this is what jimmydean was suggesting, but you could pull the cushion/springs out of the bottom of the bench and design a downfiring enclosure that mocks the bottom of the bench and just put a little padding and the upholstry over it. Won't be the most comfortable thing to sit on, but it'd never be you probably...lol
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
YoungBurb88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I don't know if this is what jimmydean was suggesting, but you could pull the cushion/springs out of the bottom of the bench and design a downfiring enclosure that mocks the bottom of the bench and just put a little padding and the upholstry over it. Won't be the most comfortable thing to sit on, but it'd never be you probably...lol
Yeah, the backseat of the Burb has never seen me... sooo I think I like the idea. What I also like about the idea is that if I need extra cargo space all I need to do is remove the seat, which will remove speakers at the same time.

Know where I might find any plans, diagrams or instructions on pulling this off?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Man...this sounds like a fun project! I don't have any plans/diagrams, but how different is the rear bench of a Burb to the rear bench of a Blazer? If they are the same (Mine is 1st gen though), I can measure mine out and get you some dimensions and designs.

In my mind, you would use all the existing mounts mounts, arm rests and what not and have the speakers downfiring. It'd be a fairly small box, so maybe 8's would be best...but if you invertered the speakers (considering there was enough room under the seat for the magnet) you could possibly get a set of 10's in there.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
jimmydean

We actually built the box as the back of the seat with padding around the subs. The bottom would work as well. Our seat looked like a stock '88 extra cab bench, only the middle part was full of sound.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #14
YoungBurb88

I'll take some measurements tomorrow (and pics to boot) so that you can get an idea of what I'm working with... however, I may run into problems with the subs as the ones I'm working with are a set of 12" Boss Audio 1200 watt subs. So if I can make em fit in the seat, somehow, the rear passengers will be a bouncing! LOL

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Oh yeah...12" subs won't be the easiest thing to get in there and still retain the correct amount of volume required for those. Does the specs on the sub have a preferred amount of volume for a sealed enclosure?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
YoungBurb88

Quote:
Oh yeah...12" subs won't be the easiest thing to get in there and still retain the correct amount of volume required for those. Does the specs on the sub have a preferred amount of volume for a sealed enclosure?
Not sure, I need to take them out of their current enclosure so I can look up some specific info... something tells me that the space in the seat will be highly insufficient.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
jimmydean

I did a box for my buddies Bronco with 2 15" Orion XTR's. The box was on rails and fit behind the rear seat. If you flip the seat forward, you could slide the box forward to give you more "trunk" space. Worked out well. Just used some heavy drawer roller rails and floor mounted latches to lock it in place. Took all of a minute to unlock it, slide it, then lock it back down.

<edit> Or you could take it out all together if you needed to.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
tubbedII
needs more $$$

It would make for a very heavy seat and a semi-complicated design, but you could incorporate both the bottom of the seat and the back as the enclosure for additional volume...just a thought. However, with a speak with that rating, I'm guessing the overall depth is greater than average and fitting inside an enclosure that shallow may not be possible...
Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
YoungBurb88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I did a box for my buddies Bronco with 2 15" Orion XTR's. The box was on rails and fit behind the rear seat. If you flip the seat forward, you could slide the box forward to give you more "trunk" space. Worked out well. Just used some heavy drawer roller rails and floor mounted latches to lock it in place. Took all of a minute to unlock it, slide it, then lock it back down.

<edit> Or you could take it out all together if you needed to.
I like the idea, but my goal is to keep the speakers out of site as I regular park the Burb in an "iffy" area.

Quote:
It would make for a very heavy seat and a semi-complicated design, but you could incorporate both the bottom of the seat and the back as the enclosure for additional volume...just a thought. However, with a speak with that rating, I'm guessing the overall depth is greater than average and fitting inside an enclosure that shallow may not be possible...
You hit the nail on the head... not possible. Darn. I had the seat out and one of the speakers out as well and took a few measurements.

Speaker: Full height 7 1/2" (top of cone-bottom of magnet) with a Diameter of 12 1/4"

Seat: Depth(including space under seat): Tallest point about 9" to a shortest point of barely 6"

Diagnosis - Darn....

So I guess it's time to explore other options now. If I had a car I would just leave them in the current box, hook em up and go on about my business.

Anyone have different ideas about how to hide a set of " Boss Audio RIP 220 DVC " subs in a Burb?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
jimmydean

How about a box on the side maybe made to look like a tool or storage box.

ALL my stereos are pretty well hidden after my Toyota was stolen years ago. The only thing you will see in my truck is the door pod tweeters.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Hiding 2 12's as big as those is going to be a task. I like jimmydean's idea of making it look like a toolbox, or maybe even an ice chest.

Another option is to build a box that's 8" deep internally and build a false floor in the back. This would make the floor raised to about 11" or so depending of the Xmax of the speaker...may not be ideal but you'd never have to remove it to put stuff back there...just right on top of it.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
YoungBurb88

Quote:
Hiding 2 12's as big as those is going to be a task. I like jimmydean's idea of making it look like a toolbox, or maybe even an ice chest.

Another option is to build a box that's 8" deep internally and build a false floor in the back. This would make the floor raised to about 11" or so depending of the Xmax of the speaker...may not be ideal but you'd never have to remove it to put stuff back there...just right on top of it.
Thanks for the input, I think I need to do a little investigating to see which would work best. Both sound good to me, however, the false floor, as I've been told, would be the harder of the two.

Were the false floor idea the one chosen, I would consider putting the false floor under the middle row of seats as the gas tank is under the floor in back.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
jimmydean

Oh, I like the false floor idea!

In my 4Runner, I did a 10" on each side. I built out the sides a little, but it looked stock. There is a storage space on either side of the 4Runner ('88) and I built speaker grills that looked just like them (had the knob and everything). Nobody had any idea.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
YoungBurb88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Oh, I like the false floor idea!

In my 4Runner, I did a 10" on each side. I built out the sides a little, but it looked stock. There is a storage space on either side of the 4Runner ('88) and I built speaker grills that looked just like them (had the knob and everything). Nobody had any idea.
What kind of tools and materials will be required for a false floor job? Never done anything like this before so I have no clue how to even start.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
jimmydean

Just think of a raised bed most guys (like I will be doing) do to cover the notch in the back and have a solid floor without the hump.

You could raise the whole floor of the Burb about 6" (or whatever would clear the back of the sub with a little room) then you mount the subs in the floor either in the corners, or along the side so you don't cover/hit them with stuff. You could do it smack in the middle to, just make sure you do some sort of a screen or grill.

My brother and I built an '88 SS truck that had 4 10" Nakamichi subs mounted under the truck in band pass enclosures with the ports running up into the floor behind the seat. It won IASCA 100W pro class Nats and was the first of its kind. Not the most practical, but it was cool as hell. Boxes only hung 1" below the frame (truck was a hot rod, not low and slow).

You can make it out of wood, then fiberglass it to make it weather resistant.

All I use on my builds are a table saw, jig saw, Dremel, and drill.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed