The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 AM   #1
LeesTruk

TBSS intake swap

Has anyone put a TBSS intake on an early('05 and down) 5.3L, and have noticed an appreciable difference in everyday performance? I'm just curious to know if it's worth the effort, what with a different throttlebody, wiring changes, etc. Currently, I have a 5.3L( LM7 ) in my C10, that has a mild BTR stg. 1 cam and valve spring upgrade, plus a 2200 stall convertor. I'm tempted to start tweeking the performance, but am not looking to make a race truck out of a perfectly excellent running vehicle. Thanks
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: TBSS intake swap

The truck intake is a good performer but the tbss intake is one of the best low end and upper performer stock intakes . If performance minded it would be a good swap . The truck throttle body is only 78mm . The tbss is 87mm . With your cam upgrade already and the stall to get you in the upper rpm range quicker I think it would be a good swap for you .

Now you say every day performance . As for just cruising down the road , gas millage , light throttle acceleration , I would say no . There would be no difference .

But if looking to improve hard throttle steps and wide open throttle I would say yes .

I guess its time to decide .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
71cadc10

I have a used one sitting on the floor, will sell cheap.
say shipping + $40? I can send pics or put a for sale ad up. PM if interested in trying it
Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
rickoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cadc10 View Post
I have a used one sitting on the floor, will sell cheap.
say shipping + $40? I can send pics or put a for sale ad up. PM if interested in trying it
If the OP isn't interested, PM me.
rickoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #5
LeesTruk

Thanks for the info. With what little driving I do with the truck (it's just a toy), fuel mileage is of no consequence. It's already twice as good as the 6cyl. that came out. As previously stated, this isn't going to be a race truck, so top end H.P. isn't a necessity, either. Maybe I should, instead, look at the other end of the truck and just take out the 3:08 gears and move up to a 3:42 rear. My "tune" is good and I really like the way the truck currently performs/drives. It's reliable, makes good (for me) power, and behaves itself well in traffic. So, 71cadC10, thanks for the offer of your intake, but I'll pass on the offer and let someone else have the chance
Old 07-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Custom 68

You would definitely feel more bang with a gear change and that small converter. However I don't think that 3.42 ratio is available so you may need to jump to the 3.73, that is what I am currently running.
I have read the intake swap is a good swap to make, for some it is harder than others depending on if you have a return line system or not.
It is hard to find a stopping spot when the performance mods bite. I was stock, then cam, then added NOS now I am turbo... so it is all fun.
good luck but I would certainly vote to ditch those gears.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #7
LeesTruk

Been looking for a 3:42 gear for awhile. Seems to be fairly scarce in a 4x2 truck. But, not so much in a 4x4. I've located one from an '86 4x4 and figure I can swap out the axles and maybe the brake backing plates. Currently, I'm using an '87 axle (10 bolt), as the truck came to me with a 12 bolt, and 2:73 gears, and NO gear oil inside