The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Zylone

Project: Easy Does It!

Howdy everyone, I have been lurking here for a long time. I have had my truck for almost a year now I guess. It is a 72 C10 long bed. I stopped working on it for a few months and just recently started back up. Partially because we were doing everything with hand tools and got somewhat burnt out, and the other reason is just life in general. Family, honey do list, etc. Anyhow, the reason I call this project "Easy Does It" is because a sticker I found on the ash tray with that saying, and I thought it was kinda cool. So.. here we go, I am going to try and catch you all up to date with pics from the beginning...

Zylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Zylone

Re: Project: Easy Does It!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Zylone

Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Zylone

Old 11-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Zylone

Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

cool truck cant wait to see more
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

dude your WILD for goin no shoes out in the shop!!!

commin along bud! whats the plan? that new paint looks good, makes me wanna do mine

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Zylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento70 View Post
cool truck cant wait to see more
Thanks! I will be sure to post more pics as I go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
dude your WILD for goin no shoes out in the shop!!!

commin along bud! whats the plan? that new paint looks good, makes me wanna do mine
LOL I know, everyone gives me hell for never wearing shoes. I hate shoes, must be the redneck in me. I have upgraded to flip flops as of late. When it comes to the metal work and all, I will be in jeans and boots though.

The plan is to get it back on the road ASAP. As long as the safety stuff is good to go, I don't care if it is still rough around the edges. I can always do more later. My son, in one of those pics up there is 17 and is itching to start driving.

I am replacing all the springs, shocks, bushings, as well as rebuilding the steering and all. Oh, and also replacing all brake lines, fuel lines, etc. I am contemplating whether or not to keep the manual gear box for the steering or upgrading to power steering before getting her back on the road.

Other than that, I want to start off with a 2/4 drop. My son doesn't want it lowered, but I do! So, later when he gets his own truck, I will probably be swapping it over to air bags.

The 350 that we pulled out looks pretty good so far. At some point, I am going to take it to the machine shop and have them check it out. If it is good, I plan on just building a mild vortec headed street motor for now. Don't want the boy getting too crazy with it just yet. I figure once he gets his own truck, I will probably do a LS1 swap on her.

The transmission that was in it was an SM420. It did not come stock in the truck either. I guess they put it in there because it had a PTO attached and it was a true farm truck. I cleaned it up real well and sold it to an older fella who runs a 67 C10 tow truck and needed another transmission. He was very happy to find mine for sale.

More than likely, to keep costs down and to get it on the road asap, I will probably put a TH350 in it. Down the road, I would like to put a T56 or a TKO in it. Speaking of trans, whomever put the 4 spd in there took a torch to the floor and made a nasty huge hole in there. The high hump cover was just barely sitting over the hole. Not bolted down.

Anyhow, I have been rambling for a while now. I have always been interested in old trucks since I was a kid and never had much of a chance to do much mechanic work so alot of this is new to me. But, we are having a blast! It is not going to be a show truck by any means, but I plan to make it as nice as I can without worrying about a ding here or there. The frame is all out of a can, and will do the rest that way. Rust encapsulating primer, and flat black on top of that. Will probably do the same with the body as well once all the patch work is complete.

One last note, I appreciate this site and am glad to be a member! I have lurked for a long time and this place is AWESOME! Hopefully I can return some help and knowledge in return for everything I have been learning so far here!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Welcome to the forum and keep the updates coming .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
leddzepp

Making quick progress! Oh, and I usually wear flip flops when I am working too....except when there is a possibility of something falling on my foot.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
Zylone

WOO, merry early christmas to me today!

The old lady asked if I wanted to go to Sears, and I knew what that meant! So, I got an air compressor, air chisel, impact gun, and air ratchet. SO AWESOME.

I spent most of the afternoon rearranging the garage since it is really starting to fill up now with tools and parts. But, we did give the impact gun a good workout. We got the rear shocks removed and the panhard bar removed. Those bolts were IN THERE! We were able to get one bolt out of the rear bumper mounts but the other three were not budging what so ever. So, need to go get some penetrating oil and soak em good. Oh, also the U bolts for the rear trailing arms. Those are on there pretty good too apparently.

So, after running a few more errands, I took the air chisel to the rivets holding the upper ball joints in place. It about wore me out, but I got all 8 rivets out! WOOHOO!!! FINALLY! Hopefully tomorrow night I can get those two a arms cleaned up and primed. I will be sure to get some pics tomorrow of the updates!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
brian69longbed

brave for being barefoot in the garage! ha ha looking good. keep the pictures coming!
|__(O)______(O)]

My build thread:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=354115
brian69longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

that is one unique tailgate,and your right bare feet and welding don't go together
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
Zylone

HAH, I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice the home made tailgate. I almost want to hang it up on the wall. It is a real piece of work. Let me tell ya!

Ok, I really didn't do crap to the truck this week. I was trying to get the heater working damn near every night after work. I finally got it working good. Not to mention, getting blood drawn two times this week made me feel like poo.

Anyhow, here are some updated PICS!! The pics I forgot to upload of the ball joints, and finally after doing some hackery got the passenger bed side off. The driver side is 2 bolts shy and some hackery on the tail end like the passenger side. Oh, and the bed floor has one bolt left holding it all down. Crossing my fingers to get it all blow apart tommorow and spend the rest of the weekend ripping out the rearend and cleaning all that mess up!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Zylone

Finally, we got the bed all torn apart and off of the truck. Ended up having to grind the head off pretty much every carriage bolt to get the bed apart. I would have liked to have lifted the whole thing in one piece, but we just don't have room. Dang long bed is LONG! Anyhow, here are a few pictures as she sits now. Hoping to get the rearend and suspension out tomorrow.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Zylone

Today's update: I didn't get the rearend out like I had planned. I went to town with the wire wheel on the grinder though. I got most of the top and outer sides of the frame cleaned up. I also got the drive shaft finally taken out, and got the majority of the remaining brake line off. The connection where it drops down from the frame to the rear axle is stripped. So, guess I am going to have to cut it out and go from there. Anyhow, here are a few pics of today's progress. It doesn't look like much, but the dirt and grime was THICK!!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
dfwright

subscribing... It's good to see what the other locals are up to...

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

hey man any updates, your like the barefoot bandit of trucks lol

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote