The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
68chevyfuelie

I call her..... Beulah.

Started work on my new toy last week. Beulah is a 1972 Chevrolet motorhome. 157" wheelbase, dually, looks like an HO72 rearend. Looks like she has 88,000 original miles. Very clean truck, definately showing her age, but eveything that is important is solid. Looks/sounds like the orignal 350, I haven't checked but it's probably an SM465.
If anybody here has ever watched the movie Porky's, they should know where she got her name from.
Right now the plans are a quick safety, remove the motorhome chassis and replace it with a Uhaul truck box. I need to figure out rear bumper, rear lights, gas tank, trailer hitch, and how to mount the new box. Down the road I'm going to have to figure out how to notch out the Uhaul body for the walkthrough. There is a Lousville/Nissan front bumper that might be in the works, it would be cool if I could find a matching rear. Let me know what you think, and enjoy!!
Attached Images

68chevyfuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
68chevyfuelie

Re: I call her..... Beulah.

Some neat stuff on this old girl. I like the gas filler cap, it just spins and spins, I haven't seen the inside how it's mounted. I think the manual throttle is neat, never seen that on another truck that was factory. The gas tank selector is awesome, it's MANUAL, you move the selector by hand, it moves what looks like a ball valve, none of that hokey electric switches for me!! SPID is actually kind of plain I thought, for something like this. It's orignally a Colorado truck, still has the Colorado trip permit in the glovebox.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
68chevyfuelie

Kind of thought it was wierd to have a radio delete/cover plate.... you'd think on a long trip you'd WANT to listen to some music, it's not like driving 10 minutes to work. Wierd?? Still, it's kind of cool to have the Colorado tag, and read how it left the factory.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
68chevyfuelie

A couple pictures of the old walk-through. I'm hoping to have the motorhome chassis off and gone to the dump on Saturday. It's loose, I need to drop the fuel tanks and finish stripping the inside, and she should be off and gone.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice truck and cool project! Even the camper looks to be in decent shape for its age.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
splehigh

Hello Beulah. Nice to meet you.

Cool truck. Would be fun to go camping in that thing.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
68chevyfuelie

Looks like it was motorhome day at the yard today. I finished stripping the interior, gas tanks and wiring from it, and then off she came. Found a bumper I think will work mint in the back, measures about 84" wide, and the new body is about 84" wide, so we'll try it and see. We had a 1953 Oliver loader/crawler dropped off last week at the yard, and we know it weighs in at 5000 lbs or so, and the crane hoisted it fine. The ol' crane was just a-gruntin' trying to lift the motorhome, so we figure it's gotta be 6000 lb's or so. The whole truck must have lifted 6-8" when we jerked it off. Now all I have to do is get it on the back of a flatbed and wave goodbye as she goes to the dump.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
68chevyfuelie

The owner of the yard put his body on his motorhome today....anybody out there recognize the body, frame, diffs, motor or tranny?
Attached Images