The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
Smallz72project

I got "FED UP" so went and bought a 67'

So its my turn to share my trials and errors with the fine forum in regards to the build up on project "Fed Up". Im not a complete stranger to these year trucks but this is the first on that I am going all out on. I got sick of new cars, and having car payments so I just said enough is enough and sold my car and bought a 1967 swb C10. I have always wanted one and I figured no better time then the now.

Being from Montana....these trucks are hard to find in fairly decent shape, especially shortbox C10's. I searched for a couple weeks and decided I would settle for a 4x4 stepside that I found on craigslist. When I called he said he was showing it to another guy at the moment but asked what was I looking for cause he had 3 or 4 of them. Told him what I wanted and we set up a time to meet so I could look at this stock. When I got there the 4x4 was sold, one wasnt fit for a donor, one was already in bad shape and in a million pieces, and in the corner he had the small window 67. It was a complete truck when I first saw it shy of having a flatbed and it even ran(but needed a tune up). However the clip was already spoken for but he said that he would give me the clip and two doors off a CST and a fleetside box (really bad shape and going straight to the scrap yard). We negotiated a price and I returned later with the trailer to load it up. By the time I got it home it was dark out but as soon as I had free time and light the next day I snapped a few pics of it.

My plans for this truck are to build a soild reliable truck that isnt too flashy yet definetely turns heads, and will out last and out perform most of whats on the road today- shy of fuel economy. I will most suredly have tons of questions...already do actually, as again this is the first time Im really tearing into one of these trucks. And doing all by myself.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Smallz72project

Re: I got "FED UP" so went and bought a 67'

I have actually been into the project for about a month now and have tons of pictures. I just need to go through and organize them so I will be updating this build thread more tomorrow...at 12:03 my mind starts slowing down big time. The truck has 3.73 gears, 4 speed, and a 327. My goals, static drop 3/5 maybe a lil more, possibly big block although that might be down the road, one piece windows, rear tank, shaved, and lots of body work since I got the truck with basically just a frame and cab haha. Well its off to bed for me but I will be back tomorrow. Keep on truckin and hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Rokcrln

Looks like a good pile of parts to start with. Forget the big block go with a 5.3L LS motor and get 20 MPG and tons of usable power plus no cold starts on those cold Montana mornings!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
chevy88

Nice set of buckets in there, nice find all around and good luck with build.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like a good foundation! I'm with Rockcrln, go for the LS motor. You will end up spending big bucks for the big block anyway.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks like a good truck and do I spy buddy buckets?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Smallz72project

It is a pretty decent foundation, there are issues with it but what truck doesnt. Its got the typical rockers, corners, cab supports, and toe board, and kick panel cancer. But its not as bad as some I have seen. And your eyes do not decieve you. Those are buddy buckets, and in very good shape actually. The frame is in awesome shape, and the upholstery is in decent shape although I am going to have them redone, however again that will be down the road. I would love to do an LS swap, but I kinda want to stick with the era of the truck. Plus part of my fed up stance on this build...is Im sick of the technology anymore as awesome as it is. I just want to build a clean straight forward truck that you dont need a computer to run what you have. I'm going through my pictures right now so I will update here in a few of my progress thus far.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Smallz72project

So when I first got the truck, I was planning on just getting it up and running so I could drive it while I do repairs. I had to order a harness and a few other misc. items and while I was waiting I figured since the clip was off I would tend to some issues. First was a tune up and some cancer down on the cowl vent. So I went out and bought a Millermatic 211 Mig welder and tank of argon. Shortly after some packages came.

I proceeded to cut out the cancer when I discovered that it was deeper then I had hoped.

At this point I decided to put the brakes on and that the truck needed to be tore down and fixed the right way the first time, no fix here back track fix that and so forth. Only problem was I didnt have a suitable place to perform this feat especially with winter right around the corner. So one of my buddies agree'd to let me use his "shop" since he wasnt using it for anything. Loaded the truck up and trailered it up to his place. His shop turned out to be more or less a shed on steroids.

Its not insulated, only a couple small single bulb lights, and a dirt floor. But its better then what I had at my house so I settled in to it. He had shot a couple elk that weekend and had them hanging on his meat rack work on the truck was postponed for a week or so as I didnt want to get any metal shavings and dirt on the quarters.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Uh oh, the "might as wells" got you, huh?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
Baged72

What is that hanging to the left of the truck lol carcasses??
Baged72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baged72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz72project View Post
He had shot a couple elk that weekend and had them hanging on his meat rack work on the truck was postponed for a week or so as I didnt want to get any metal shavings and dirt on the quarters.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
Smallz72project

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Uh oh, the "might as wells" got you, huh?
They did but i was expecting it to happen. Im sure it would have been a different story if the truck had already been together and running well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baged72 View Post
Yes those are carcasses, neighbors were poking around a little more then I was comfortable with so they got put on the choping block....not really though. Just dead elk...gotta eat
Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #13
Smallz72project

Once Jeff had his meat off the hooks I went to work on the truck. Doing it by myself and having the entire truck to build...was getting a little overhelmed and still am. I didnt know where to start. With funds being a lil tight right now with the holidays I wanted to just basically prep the truck for the more major work. First task was to remove the flatbed. What a pile o turd that flat bed was. Just barely hanging on and deteriorating fast. Once I had that off I was able to assess the frame. I stared at it for a while and pondered what way I wanted to go with it, and what needed to be done to it.

I am not going to run a rear bumper or a hitch so I unbolted the bumper brackets and examined how the hitch was installed. They welded it to the frame and bolted it to the rear crossmember. At some point they pulled something either to heavy or just too hard cause the rear x member is bent pretty bad and the inside mounting points were broken. I knocked the rivets out and just but the hitch near the frame so I could at least get it removed. But I will get more into that here in a few cause I have a few questions regarding it all.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Elk huh? I wonder how that tastes?....Anyways I like your project, also, is it just me or is your panhard bar bent?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
nds1968

Hey if your mig welding steel argon is not best suited. You should use C25 a mixture with argon for steel mig welding. Argon is used with aluminum mig welding and tig welding aluminum and steel. Unless your going fluxcore in which I don't know much about.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
Smallz72project

In fact my pan hard bar is indeed bent. When I do the suspension though it will be fixed with a new adj. one.

Im so used to just simply saying argon instead of just shielding gas, its actually a blend that my supplier has put together with great sucess.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
msgross

nice start... is that a 2bbl carb?
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very good progress!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
Sammy

That truck had a rough life. Glad to see another one saved from the crusher. Good Luck with putting a fresh breath of air in her.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Smallz72project

Thanks for all the comments. No its a four barrel carb, but it got scraped and I got a Edelbrock 650 to replace it. I wasnt going to tear down the motor just yet but while I was screwing in the studs for the adaptor plate...one of the nuts fell into the intake so I had to take it off anyhow. Buying a Victor highrise from a coworker to put on as well.

So heres a couple questions that I have. Since the rear xmember was not only bent but broken as well...I just scraped it. I cut the hitch off but there is still some thats left on the frame with some pretty heavy weld beads.

My thoughts, and I want to get some feed back from some of you more experienced fellows, are to cut off about 6-7 inches off the back of the frame like so..

The red dot is where the rear x-member rivet was and the green and yellow indicate what would be chopped off. From there I would make a new rear xmember and essentially box in the rear of the frame. I will be doing a rear tank and roll pan. What are your thoughts? I really have no idea what Im doing at this point, Im just rolling with the punchs and seeing what works.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Smallz72project

After I had gotten the hitch out of the way and the overload leaf springs, I started to kinda clean up the frame and see what condition it was under all the dirt.

Alot of cleaning to do before I paint it but its in pretty good shape. I think once Im at that point Im going to POR15 it and then put black tractor paint for the final coating.
I wanted to get the springs out so I could pull the rear end and trailing arms for clean-up/upgrade...but the dang cups just spin and I was getting frustrated. I was the only one there so I couldnt try and hold it and use enough force to turn the bolt by myself so I have to rethink my plan of attack. Also noticed that one of the springs is broken..not a biggie cause it was getting replaced anyhow.

At this point is just seems like I make a step forward but just find a brick wall that is in my way. I decided to put the rear of the frame on the back burner while I get some feedback and rethink some things. In the mean time I figured I would start to get the cab ready to be removed and repaired.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #22
Smallz72project

I think we should have a contest on the board....who ever can find the thickest patch of bondo wins. I think I could be a place holder. What you see isnt even the thickest part at one spot there was a lil more then an inch thick of bondo. Some peoples kids I tell ya...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #23
mcbassin
Still Learning

That is some thick bondo right there!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #24
Smallz72project

Your telling me!! I didnt get a pic of it and wish I had but the front half of that same rocker had a couple miller light cans crushed up and shoved into it along with some steel wool and caulking so they could "shape" the rocker...what a joke.

I need to order the patch panels so I can start repairing the cab...but Im not quite sure on what all I need or even what the parts are called. I know for sure cab corners, and outer rockers. I will post some pics of what the damage is and if someone could point me in the best direction for what panels to use that would be awesome. I did some exploration on my own and cut the right rocker off to see what I would need to replace but thats when I just started getting confused after looking at all the panels.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #25
pat 70/71

Glad you got the truck, looks like a fun project .not bad at all, have fun & keep your goal in mind it will be a great truck to drive ...Pat

Last edited by pat 70/71; 12-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote