The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

Re: I got "FED UP" so went and bought a 67'

nice project.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #27
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Wink Re: I got "FED UP" so went and bought a 67'

If I were you I would not cut off the end of the frame, you see that last hole on the top of your frame? Once you mount your bed you will need to run a bolt through there to bolt on the bed, so try to keep the frame intact, just try to cut around the welded hitch "piece" with your grinder and a cutting disc, use a hammer to knock it outta there, and dont forget to wear face/eye protection while youre at it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Puropedo; 02-25-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #28
mcbassin
Still Learning

I'm with Jhonny, just cut the scabbed portion off and weld in new metal. Should be easier then splicing the whole end.

Last edited by mcbassin; 12-15-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling like a school girl
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #29
Smallz72project

Thanks for the comments guys, it keeps a guy going for sure. Next time Im out at the truck I will see if I can shave off the portion of the hitch opposed to just hacking it off. Although I'll still have to make a new rear x member.

Progress on the ole 67' is gunna be held up for a couple weeks. Snow really hit hard here in the good ole bigsky, and work is slammed. And then comes xmas. Plus I just got back from my aunts funeral, she had been fighting cancer for the last six years.

With work being busy it is gunna be hard to get out to work on the truck seeing as one its about 15 miles away from me, and two I have some parts ordered for it. I went to Goodmark industries web site and ordered up a bunch of panels. Dont really think its all that I need though so Im sure I'll have to put in a second order. Also need to swing by Pacific Steel and pick up a sheet of 18 ga.

I think I will see if I can repair and salvage the fenders and hood from the 68 clip. Save me some money plus give me something to stay busy with and give the illusion that Im making progress lol. I will get some pictures of the clip soon.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #30
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Sorry to hear about your aunt. It is a good thing you are busy at work, theres lots of unemployed people out there, and yes I know it really sucks when it gets too cold to work on your project, but keep us updated with any progress!
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #31
Smallz72project

So have made no progress on the truck, I keep getting overhelmed with everything that needs to be accomplished, plus Im trying to collect parts for it right now. Found a guy a couple towns away that has a 72 lwb that he shortened the frame and box, so Im anticipating being able to grab that and use what I can and then possibly part whats left or scrap it.

UPS left me a package while I was at work. My repair panels from goodmark industries came in. I ordered foot well panels, front door pillars, inner/outer rockers, and cab corners. I got everything except for one of the foot well panels. They didnt charge me for it, but its listed as ordered and not shipped. Although it doesnt say that its backordered either...kinda annoyed with that at the moment. Also that I need to get floor extensions and cab supports still before I can even really do any repair on the cab...so thats gunna be a couple weeks out still.

Fairly pleased with the product although there are some areas, expecially on the cab corners that are going to take some massaging.

Took some pics of the 68 clip. Still up in the air weither I want to try and clean up the hood and fenders or scrap em.

My helper (Torq)..although he had no thoughts on what I should do.

Both fenders are about the same in this area...not the prettiest but I think with some patients they could be saveable until I can replace them down the road.

Really the only part of the hood thats...bad
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #32
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice looking repair parts you have there. I hope your cab repair goes smoother than the one I'm working on. I found more rust than I expected when I got into it. The yellow front end looked really solid in the first pic, then scrolled down and saw the rust. It will take some time to fix the fenders.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #33
Smallz72project

Well I hope everyones holidays are going well. My xmas present from my parents couldnt have come at a better time. They bought me the tanks and cart for my oxy/acyetlyn torch. I made it up to my truck the other day and made some pretty good progress...at least for me..you guys Im sure its childs play. But with the old hot wrench handy I was able to cut the springs and spring cups off the truck allowing me to remove the axle and trailing arms.

My buddy Zach that came up to help. Was nice having an extra hand around.

And feel lucky...one of the few times you will actually see a picture of myself.

And my new helmet I purchased, sort of merry xmas to myself
Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #34
mcbassin
Still Learning

SWEET WELDING HELMET!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #35
Smallz72project

Thanks! I think so as well Its so nice, in the past I have only ever used solid helmets, the kind that you have flip up and down to actually see...this one is GREAT!! I can see it helping my welding ten fold.

Update on the situation with my frame as well, I cut through the welds that were holding on the rest of the hitch on three sides and started to knock it off...it was a piss poor job when first done and rusted the frame really bad and part of the frame ripped when I did this.

So what I was thinking I could do is just cut that 4-6 inches of the frame off on the lower half, its like this one both sides of the frame as well. Now do you think I need to weld in another plate or would it be okay to just leave it so I at least can still bolt on the bed?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 AM   #36
Smallz72project

Made a step in the right direction this last weekend. I finalized a divorse that was bound to happen and it was only for the best....

Naturally Im talking about divorsing the cab from the frame!!
Special thanks to my friends Zach and Josh, only with their help was this possible.

Was pleasantly pleased with the shape of the rest of the frame once it was all visable. All I need to do now is get the engine and tranny out and then I can start building my chassi. Unbolted the shifter housing on the tranny to better accomodate cab removal and was happy to see that the gear box was in really good condition. I will be switching the truck to an auto however.

Then went about cleaning the frame some more, in some areas the textured lining that they put on the frames was pretty thick. Tomorrow when I go up there Im just gunna focus on getting the frame all cleaned up inside and out.

And also settled on how to handle the rear of the frame that was scabbed up from the hitch.

Still need to dress the cuts a bit and I think it will be good to go. And thanks to a board member, I will be getting an original rear x member to replace the mine that got scraped. This is the best group of people EVER!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #37
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good. Keep going...you're making good progress!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #38
mcbassin
Still Learning

sorry to hear about the big "d" the progress on the truck looks good!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #39
Smallz72project

Thanks Guys, its your words of encouragement that keeps one motivated to push on. At times when all you are doing is tear down and cleaning, getting further and further away from it looking like a truck, It can become discouraging. I stood back for about five minutes staring at the truck in pieces assessing everything and though oh boy what did I get myself into haha.

And thank you for your concern in regards to the big "D" Mcbassin, lol although I was just making a play on words. I didnt really get a divorse, not nore ever have been married. I was referencing the divorse to removing the cab from the frame lol.

Thanks again and keep on truckin!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #40
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Looks good, 67s are the best

I was gonna suggest cutting that section of the frame off like you did & just weld a piece of plate back in, but it looks like you have it under control

Im glad that I have better cabs than that, so I dont have to do so much rust repair lol

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #41
oldblue72c10
LIGHT' EM UP!!!!!!!!!!

I may also place in the bondo championship haha the po of my 72 lwb had it repainted and the painters just poured bondo into the cabcorners atleast alittle more than a gallon just in cab corners and more in the bed fenders and rockers but im glad yours is coming along good job

BONDO IS YOUR FRIEND WOULD YOU EVER USE YOUR FRIEND

1972 custom 10 longbed
current 360 building a racing 355
oldblue72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #42
Smallz72project

Update time! But nothing super exciting unfortunately. Got the motor out of the frame with help by my buddy. Being on a dirt floor however made the job twice as difficult as it is. Basically just lifted the motor out and rolled the chassi back and set the motor on the ground. I then got the front cradle undone. But have run into a snag that I need to brain storm. With the engine on the ground it leaves me no room to actually pull out the cradle.

You ever have those moments that you do something and then realize DOH!! didnt have to do that. I had one of those moments although its not a real biggy. While I was removing all the points of frame contact to pull the cradle, I absently mindly just cut the riveted sway bar bracket. Only to realize after the fact why didnt I just undo the saddle bolts! Needless to say I had some choice words for myself lol.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #43
nuke1

Great starting pont you have there, trust me, in the end it all comes to a good point, even if it is still in primer, trust me. I remember the days of working on a gravel floor at the farm, man did they suck, but you make do with what you have and it still works out. That front clip is very salvagable, blast it and work it, it will be good, nice shape, the cab needs a little work but a great starting point and your frame is nice. Hope to see more progress soon. Gonna watch out for it.

Later James
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
msgross

yeah, 2 bolts will remove the motor from the engine crossmember, then three bolts will remove the motor mounts from the engine...

I'd check Craisglist for an engine stand... make it easy to roll the engine over and work on it, plus it holds it up off the floor.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #45
msgross

If that 68 hood has a nice ridge down the middle (not dipped like most) it would be worth fixing, based on any rust issues on the inside... In 4 years i've only seen about 3 or 4 really nice used 67-68 hoods... aftermarket isn't perfect and it's $$$ too.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #46
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Nice project looks like she will be looking great in no time flat..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #47
mcbassin
Still Learning

looking good! Digging the welding helmet!

Last edited by mcbassin; 01-16-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #48
Smallz72project

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Great starting pont you have there, trust me, in the end it all comes to a good point, even if it is still in primer, trust me. I remember the days of working on a gravel floor at the farm, man did they suck, but you make do with what you have and it still works out. That front clip is very salvagable, blast it and work it, it will be good, nice shape, the cab needs a little work but a great starting point and your frame is nice. Hope to see more progress soon. Gonna watch out for it.

Later James
Thanks James, if someone of your experience and caliber thinks that clip can be salvaged...then by all means I will do my best to try. I want to stick with the era of 67 so naturally I'll weld up the marker light which is the easy part of the whole deal lol. Im not a stranger to metal fab or body work, just not the best at it and its been a really long time. I used to work in a body shop for a few years before I headed off to college. Hopefully I wont be working in the dirt for too long. Only reason I brought it up there originally was cause winter was around the corner and Id have to work on the truck outside at my house. Plan is to get the cab repaired and the chassi a roller again and then I can bring it back to my house for the million small things that need to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
Quote:
yeah, 2 bolts will remove the motor from the engine crossmember, then three bolts will remove the motor mounts from the engine...

I'd check Craisglist for an engine stand... make it easy to roll the engine over and work on it, plus it holds it up off the floor.
Quote:
If that 68 hood has a nice ridge down the middle (not dipped like most) it would be worth fixing, based on any rust issues on the inside... In 4 years i've only seen about 3 or 4 really nice used 67-68 hoods... aftermarket isn't perfect and it's $$$ too.
Haha yea, thanks for the tip Although I already have an engine stand. With the floor being dirt the hoist and or stand doesnt want to move at all with 600+ lbs on it. Im not gunna use this motor anyhow. Giving it to my buddy. Gotta love the ease of pulling a chevy motor though. Not really sure what you are refering to on the hood though, it has a decent ridge. Needs to be fixed on the nose of it, but not sure what you mean dipped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Nice project looks like she will be looking great in no time flat..
Thanks! She'll look good eventually lol but I dont know about no time flat lol, could definetely happen if I find a bottomless wallet!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #49
Smallz72project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
looking good! Digging the welding helmet!
Thank ya much, its pretty sweet. Havent been able to utilize it just yet but hoping in the next week or two it will be well broken in with the cab repair phase begining.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #50
chevy71c10

Nice progress so far! Keep the updates coming. Will be a very nice ride when completed.

71' C10 SWB
00' Dakota R/T
05' Z-71 Silverado
16' Z-71 Silverado

Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376904
chevy71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote