The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #51
msgross

Re: I got "FED UP" so went and bought a 67'

the center ridge running down the hood, if you look at it from the side (profile view) it should have a slight arch from the cowl area to the nose of the hood... often they are bent in the middle from years of opening and closing...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #52
Hubscrub
Cruzin

nice project
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #53
Smallz72project

So I have finally gotten to a point where I can start making decent head way. I got the engine moved and was able to pull out the front engine x-member assembly. After that I proceded to start knocking rivets out of the frame..got about 20 of them and my head was pounding and wrist throbbing from all the vibration so I called it a day. I just used a air chisel and yes I used ear and eye protection. Couple years ago I got in a wreck on my harley and shattered my right wrist, they fixed it by putting a plate and five pins in. So I can only handle so much chiseling before it starts hurting. But onto some pictures.

When your in a corner..just break out the big guns. Special thanks goes to Les Schwab for allowing me to borrow the boom truck and Justin for giving me a hand.

Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #54
Smallz72project

Well a small update. Frame is almost completely cleaned up and ready to get primed. Have a few small touches that still need to be done but making good progress, would have loved to have just taken it to a blaster and been done in a day but it takes a lot longer when you clean it all by hand. I will get some pictures up later this weekend. Decided to save myself a few dollars and modify my center x member opposed to buying an aftermarket one for a couple hundred dollars. Traced out a 4.5 inch circle and cut it out with my cutting torch. I need to dress the cuts and weld in a few supports but I think it will turn out spectacular. Also went out and picked up a hand full of clamps and 100 bolts/nuts/washers so once everything is cleaned up I can bolt the frame back together and start cab repairs. Sat down this evening and watched Ebfabmans videos that showed up in the mail and now I am anxious to get that cab whipped into shape.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #55
chevy88

What are you going to use for a motor and transmission?

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #56
0331grunt
Now what??

Looks like a good project.. Making good progress!

"The quality of a persons life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." ~ Vince Lombardi

"A dream doesn't become reality through magic, it takes sweat, determination and hard work." ~ Colin Powell

my, um, build

USMC OIF Veteran SEMPER FI!
0331grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #57
mac72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz72project View Post
Made a step in the right direction this last weekend. I finalized a divorse that was bound to happen and it was only for the best....

Naturally Im talking about divorsing the cab from the frame!!
Special thanks to my friends Zach and Josh, only with their help was this possible.

Was pleasantly pleased with the shape of the rest of the frame once it was all visable. All I need to do now is get the engine and tranny out and then I can start building my chassi. Unbolted the shifter housing on the tranny to better accomodate cab removal and was happy to see that the gear box was in really good condition. I will be switching the truck to an auto however.

Then went about cleaning the frame some more, in some areas the textured lining that they put on the frames was pretty thick. Tomorrow when I go up there Im just gunna focus on getting the frame all cleaned up inside and out.

And also settled on how to handle the rear of the frame that was scabbed up from the hitch.

Still need to dress the cuts a bit and I think it will be good to go. And thanks to a board member, I will be getting an original rear x member to replace the mine that got scraped. This is the best group of people EVER!
NOW! he's truly a member! In deep like the rest of us poor bastards
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #58
Smallz72project

Thanks. Not really sure one engine/tranny combo right now. I would love to go with a 402 or even a H.o502 but I might just settle for a healthy 383. Tranny wise either a TH350 or 700R4.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #59
Smallz72project

Wow its been along time since I posted, its bad when you have to go to the bottom of page 6 to find your own thread haha. Things at work went kinda sour and I was just in a slump but have some progress to post, and some questions to ask. Went up to Kalispel and bought a 72 for parts. Talked with the guy over the phone and he made it out that it was in great shape and had everything organized into baggies. Used to be a long box and he shortened the frame and the box. Has a 327 and TH350. I mainly wanted it for the tranny & tranny xmemeber, 5 lug swap, and was hoping the box was in good shape. Showed up and the truck was nothing as he described although had the main parts that I wanted/needed. Cab isnt in super bad shape, but the guy hacked up the box. His welding skills were lacking to say the least. and boxed the frame in all wrong, needless to say alot of it is going to scrape. But only picked it up for 800 smackers so it was worth it.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #60
Smallz72project

I got the frame all cleaned up and am now ready to coat it and start putting the suspension together. Im thinking of just spraying it with weld through primer as I want to get it back to roller status so I can move it around while I fab and mock up the rest of the chassi before final coating. Started tinkering on the cab a bit more, stripped the most of the guts out, ripped all the wiring out. Discovered a few more issues that make me weary about pushing forward. At this point I need to decide if I want to continue with my 67 cab or switch over to the 72 cab. I want to keep the 67 if at all possible for the reason of the small back window. First I cut open the cowl on the driver side to find it stuffed with more crap then the passenger side was, and the vent door literally was held up by the garbage and fell out once it was cleaned. Also found a spot rusted through on top of the cowl under the dash. Not worried so much about the vent door cause I plan on elimenating them all together. And the hole under the dash is never seen so I can repair it with out it being super precise with it having different curves to it. Also on the driver side where the roof seams meet, its spread quite a bit and the outside is filled with bondo, the inside is seperated as well but not filled.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #61
msgross

wow, i've never soon the cab split like that... I'd start think about another cab if you have one.

Use the "user CP" button to find your thread, or bookmark the page address into your explorer.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #62
Smallz72project

Yea I have another cab avaliable, its a 72 and actually in fairly decent shape. Cowl looks solid no debris trapped in the door and its already set up for the auto and cable style throttle that I want, only thing is....I really really want to keep the small back window. I might do some research and see how difficult it is to swap the rear portions of a cab. Or try and find another small window cab which Im sure will involve a lengthy road trip.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #63
Smallz72project

So heres a pic of my center cross member, was contemplating buying one of the aftermarket ones but figured I would try my hand at modifying mine for time being. They are 4 1/2 inch holes that I measured out and marked at four spots, North East South and West if you will and then free handed them with my act. torch. Still need to get a grinder and clean the edges. And then I got bored and decided to tinker on the cab. I want to shave the entire thing, includeing drip rails. I have no clue as to what I am doing but I read up on it a little and just decided to jump in head first and see what came of it. I only did about a foot of it on the drivers side. Turned out okay I suppose, still needs some refining and of course its no where close to being paint ready so I can fiddle with it some more.

I just used a sawzall to cut off a couple inches at a time. Doing this left a pretty significant raise and edge that didnt look right, so I ground it flat so there was no curve. I dont know if that is the right way to do it or if I screw'd myself. Worked out okay other then the fact that after doing that, the outer most panel ended up being really thin at the edge from grinding and would burn through right at the apex of where the curve was, I was able to fill the holes.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #64
BP68

Really nice build thread you have here.

On the drip rail shave, I worked with my body man and did something similar to you. Check out my build thread to see some pics before, during, and after.

Keep up the good work.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #65
classic1967chevy

hey u need to get inner rocker panels as well as outter ..... good luck trying to get your cab to line back up i did the same thing i cut mine out as well when i wasnt needing to rocker panels are a just tacked in there all u had to do is break the welds and pull it off anyways nice looking truck come check out mine thanks
classic1967chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #66
67chevy1series

hey this truck is awsomelets see some progress
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #67
mcbassin
Still Learning

Wow! it has been a while since we had an update on this one.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote