The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
**grumpy**

Anyone running a Poly gastank??

I have a poly tank under my burb.

It has some issues.

First off, It takes forever to put gas in. If I even try to put gas in at a normal rate, it just blows back at me.
I have to pump it so slow that it pains me.

Now, I see what looks like a vent on the passenger side that has a small pc. of rubber with a bolt clamped in it.
Should this be the vent?

Looking underneath, theres a smaller rubber line that runs from the tank up along the fill neck to the gas-cap opening. What is this? A overflow?

There's obviously a problem. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to put gas in.

And if that hose with the bolt is supposed to be th event, how should I run it?

I mean, if I replace that with a long rubber hose, where should I run it to vent, and do I need a filter? or will it just smell of fumes?

Thanks all.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
matthufham

Re: Anyone running a Poly gastank??

i have one. the problem on fillup is never a question of filler location, it's just the fact that the inlet is too damn small. plus the inlet is so thick on the lip it's a major traffic jam for flow. i took a big step drillbit and made the inlet shaped like a funnel instead of a wall on the end but i don't think that helped at all. i have the filler in the bed side, and if you stick the gas pump in there it'll backflow and shut the pump off so the best solution is to get a funnel that flows just right to keep the backflow from coming out and i fill the funel, and it doesn't shut the pump off. but i can't just keep it pumping i have to stop so i don't overfill the funnel. i wish i could resize the inlet on the tank somehow.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Custom 68

I have one too and the problem seems to be the vent. Mine works good most of the time but on occasion I get a back up in the vent tube. If I unhook this at my filler and get it cleared from the gas it works fine again. Do some vent checking.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
**grumpy**

Which vent C68?
You mean the overflow vent running beside the fill tube?

So that other blocked off nipple isn't a vent then? I should just leave it blocked off?

Plus my gas gauge doesn't work. We spent an hour messing with it the other day, and can get the gauge to move, but the sender must not be compatible.

So not knowing how much I have in there, and the slow fill is a major PITA
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Premium72

for the sending unit you have a hot wire, and a you have to run a ground from the unit some were. it should work fine. i have a issue also wiht fillin. but its more of how tight the fit is for the bend of the hose. when i re do the floor in the bed, im going to cut the fill nekc off where its at and put it on the top of the tank instaead of the sidethis should sole the issue for me. good louck, i agree check your vents. sounds like the ones your talking about may be return lines for and electric feul pump. but i cant be to sure with out seeing it.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by **grumpy** View Post
Which vent C68?
You mean the overflow vent running beside the fill tube?

So that other blocked off nipple isn't a vent then? I should just leave it blocked off?

Plus my gas gauge doesn't work. We spent an hour messing with it the other day, and can get the gauge to move, but the sender must not be compatible.

So not knowing how much I have in there, and the slow fill is a major PITA
I dont remember which one I used and am not sure if it matters as long as you have a place for the displaced air to go. I will try to check mine an see if I can tell which is "vented"
also like said check your grounds on your tank and gage. You should have a seperate wire for the ground on your sending unit.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Sammy

I just run another line off the tank & attached it up high under the bed. The additional line next to the filler I thought was a line to prevent the gulp effect. That attaches to my filler spout. No issues with the tank during refill though. Maybe the venting is the answer?? And yea I ran a ground from the tank to chassis. No issues at all with the gage.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #8
matthufham

oh yea, when i got my poly tank, the float had the most splits in it and never held air. it always sank and showed empty on the gauge, so i ordered a new float from lmc.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote