The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Here is a little info with title issues for some of you

This is in Kansas BUT it may be worth your while in other states to check with. I JUST DID IT yesterday and it turned out fine. Truck or car must be 35 years or older to do it. I did not have a title for a truck I have, it was an out of state truck, I went to get state inspection and took the truck, KS requires this, all they do is check vin number on door jam and frame, glove box door and driver door if you have it on there., then they run a check on it to see if it it stolen. ALL I HAD is a bill of sale from myself to myself, and stated it was a GIFT, the bill of sale is the key point. Then I took it to local county courthouse and registered it as ANTIQUE and paid my $20.50 to transfer a tag I had and registered it, then hand carried all paperwork it to the State house title department and they gave me a title for it in my name. I thought this is a good info for you guys who do not have a title for your trucks
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"

Last edited by teeitup; 11-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
sanford66

Re: Here is a little info with title issues for some of you

Thanks for the info. I have a 54 Kaiser i need to try to get titled, all i have is a bill of sale from the old man i got it from. This might work! joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Son-in-law is from RI. He told me that vehicles over 10 years old don't have to be titled. I reckon it may be because a 10-year old vehicle in RI, may not have enough material left in it to be road-worthy.

I'm not saying that there aren't any, but that law must be decades old and indicative of the era in which it was written.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
kcsa75

Randy, do you get renewal notices in the mail for your antique tags? When I first registered my truck in November 2010, there was a real cluster as only one person at the tag office seemed to know how to do it.
I did not get a renewal notice last year, since I first registered it in November, I figured it was still working it way through the system, so went into the office and took care of it. In Johnson County, KS, going to the tag office can easily be a 3-or-4 hour ordeal, so renewing by mail or online is a much better option.
Now here it is Thanksgiving, and I've not received a renewal notice for 2012. Since you don't get any stickers or anything, I'm tempted to just let it go and take my chances.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
teeitup

Good luck Joself

ChevLoray, this is a loop hole in the system, its not that old, But Ks has required out out of state inspections for a long time. As I said this is a Kansas but it may be worth checking in other states that do require inspections of vin numbers. Here if I brought a truck in from RI it would have to be inspected, with a bill of sale.

Willie, I just got my antique tags last year, I got my other tag/tax info but not for the antique trucks, I'm going over there next month to pay my others I'll ask

Thanks Randy
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

For those state that do as Kansas does, here's another issue that may arise...I have a niece in north Georgia. Her husband bought a 67-72 and got a title with it, from TN. When he went to register it, he found that his VIN had already been used in TN. Gotta be a message in there, somewhere.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I saved a nice, solid 72 K20 frame from the crusher but the owner didn't have the title. Someday I'll look into getting a salvage title for it. I'll have to wait until I have a whole day to waste as the DMV offices here are ridiculously crowded and slow. I doubt though that anyone at NM DMV would know/care to check a frame VIN. When I got my drivers license the clerk didn't make me take the written exam as the office was so busy. She said "I'll just give you an 85%."

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
coops714x4

In Oklahoma its pretty much the same all they want is a bill of sale (don't matter who's name is on it) they check the vin plate, run it to make sure its not stolen (and if it shows a lein over 10 years they will take it off ) if all is good they will issue a good title. I've done this on a few vehicles with no problem, may be different in other states.
2014 Street Glide Special
1983 K20 Big Block, auto (work horse)
coops714x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
chipflyer

Good to know Randy, thanks for the info.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
CharlieBrown

Antique tags in Arkansas are a permanent tag...you never renew it....unless you transfer it to another vehicle..then there is a fee

one time pay and your done

as for the title...fixin to file for a lost title here on my 64 el camino
1972 Cheyenne 2wd...named Death Row
CharlieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops714x4 View Post
In Oklahoma its pretty much the same all they want is a bill of sale (don't matter who's name is on it) they check the vin plate, run it to make sure its not stolen (and if it shows a lein over 10 years they will take it off ) if all is good they will issue a good title. I've done this on a few vehicles with no problem, may be different in other states.
I'm in the process of going through this hoop jump myself in OK. I called the OK Tax Commission, and they said they would need a copy of the registration (as opposed to title), have the agent do a VIN inspection, and a notarized bill of sale. I wonder if your agent knows some special ropes to pull? I may cruise down to Chickasha - pm or post the Tag agent info please.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
richards72chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops714x4 View Post
Its not any more i bought an 89 sunbird with no title about seven years ago.Had no problem getting the tag and title for it.Got a 66 c10 two years ago and the same lady who sold me the tag and title for the sunbird wouldnt even let me buy a tag for the truck.She said all the title laws have changed in oklahoma.She did give me the name and adress of the last registered owner of the c10 and he was still around.The truck was stolen but he never reported it.He new the man who stole it.I told him the truck was in my front yard if he wanted it back but he said he didnt want it back.He agreed to file for a lost title if i would pay for the fees and he would signed it over to me.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Jimmyc

Anybody have any recent experience in N. Carolina? I just picked one up with no vin on cab, but title matches frame. Thanks in advance!
Jimmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
dmack91

No such luck in Oregon. Have to have a title - period.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Ackattack

In KS, you don't have to renew antique tags. Hence why they don't have a year sticker on them.

Good to know about the bill of sale thing.

The pain in the butt thing is when I moved from WA to KS, I had to have MY vehicles inspected to register them in KS too. 4 vehicles and a trailer, kind of a pain. They did find that the title on my 69 had a typo. The title had a 5 instead of an S or vice versa. Got it corrected without issue though.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #16
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
This is in Kansas BUT it may be worth your while in other states to check with. I JUST DID IT yesterday and it turned out fine. Truck or car must be 35 years or older to do it. I did not have a title for a truck I have, it was an out of state truck, I went to get state inspection and took the truck, KS requires this, all they do is check vin number on door jam and frame, glove box door and driver door if you have it on there., then they run a check on it to see if it it stolen. ALL I HAD is a bill of sale from myself to myself, and stated it was a GIFT, the bill of sale is the key point. Then I took it to local county courthouse and registered it as ANTIQUE and paid my $20.50 to transfer a tag I had and registered it, then hand carried all paperwork it to the State house title department and they gave me a title for it in my name. I thought this is a good info for you guys who do not have a title for your trucks
Hey Randy, how does the bill of sale from yourself to yourself work? The bill of sale didn't need to be notarized?
Posted via Mobile Device
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
teeitup

Kansas does not use notary on titles or bill of sales anymore
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS

Old 11-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
BureauMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc View Post
Anybody have any recent experience in N. Carolina? I just picked one up with no vin on cab, but title matches frame. Thanks in advance!
North Carolina will assign a state assigned VIN, as long as the frame matches the title your good.
BureauMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
72_C20_67401

with my antique tag i had to pay 17.50 in property taxes and keep the receipt with the truck.
72_C20_67401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
mbgmike

I am going through this right now. I bought a truck in Ok and sold it to a fella here in Houston about 2 years ago. Have a bill of sale and title from the City of Broken Arrow,Ok. I did not transfer the title over but gave it to the new owner. They fixed it up and it has sold three times since then. The new owner in Mcallen Tx can't get it titled here. They have sent all the documentation back to me and see if I can fix it since the bill of sale was in my name.
My question if anyone knows. Should I contact OK or TX to fix this? Or can they title it here as a Antique??. I looked on the dmv site but they do not really help much
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
BureauMan

"My question if anyone knows. Should I contact OK or TX to fix this? Or can they title it here as a Antique??. I looked on the dmv site but they do not really help much"

I say get a title in your name, since the bill of sale and title was signed over to you. Once you have the title then sign it over to the current owner. Of course the current owner should pay all the fees.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
50bomb

I am in same position. I have no title just bill of sale and auto registeration office. I told PO if he could get the paper work started only cause I traded him a car with a clean title in my name. I really like the truck and I know all the paper work will be taken care of and I want to do so Asap now that I owned it for over a YEAR. Still got alot of work. But NON Op it will be good start to being in my name Officially.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #23
mcbassin
Still Learning

Randy,
You said they checked the vin on the frame as well as the vin plate, Did these need to match? or just need to show on the system as NOT being stolen?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
teeitup

Mike, all must match. Thanks Randy
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS

Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Mike, all must match. Thanks Randy
So what if you decide to got to SWB from LWB? Or it gets bent?
You can't change the frames? I have seen frames changed forever, heck they even did it on Spike tv a time or two. One I remember was on a really rusty frame that would have been unsafe to use because of structure.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote