The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
RostaRob

58 Apache SWB bed sills

Hello, I’m looking to see if anyone can tell me if I am missing any cross sills or bed supports. This is a 1958 Apache fleet side short wide bed. Also does anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase the bed wood? I've heard a lot about Mar-K. Are their products good quality? Thanks, Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by RostaRob; 09-29-2020 at 01:08 PM.
RostaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 58 Apache SWB bed sills

This is the diagram out of the Mar-K catalog from this link http://www.mar-k.com/Catalog/index.aspx?CID=10001 It looks like you are good on the cross sills.

From everything I have seen Mar-K has the top rate bed parts available.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
RostaRob

Thanks Mr48Chev. I did look at both Mar-K and Brothers. I don't know if there is much of a difference in product but Mar-K cost was $1224 and Brothers was $1165. $60 is much difference but I would prefer to get the best product. Anybody else have any input as to difference between the two? Rob.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:29 PM   #4
mr48chev

Brothers may be selling Mar-K as several places do. I get emails from Mar-K with discount codes for either a % off or discounted shipping at least once a week.

Also check with Wes at www.classicheartbeat.com He is on the south side of Olympia 335 93 rd. Ave. S.W. Olympia, Wash. 98512 and around 100 easy miles from you. If he got everything in on a stock order that he didn't have in stock that could save you quite a bit of shipping as long as you didn't have him special order it. He is also a site vendor here. You may not get the cheapest price but he is seriously picky about what he sells and if he won't use it on the trucks he builds he won't sell it to someone else.

On the other two check shipping costs and compare all three. Cheap price may come with high shipping charges .

You might also check with The Filling Station in Oregon. https://www.fillingstation.com/index.htm If they got everything in one pile for you to pick it up and got it in on stock orders you might save shipping and tax for the 110 mile road trip down there. My experience with them is that they probably have to order a lot of what they sell in and may wait until they have a sizable order before getting it.

Mar-K has a 10% discount on Made in the USA parts until 10/10 FALLFOR10. That could help a bit.

What I am trying to say is don't look at just the retail price, look at your total cost to get the parts to your door.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Fixed.
Attached Images

Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
RostaRob

Thanks Rickysnickers. I'm not sure why my photos always turn sideways. How did you fix this? MR48chev thanks for the code. Those prices I provided were the actual on my doorstep price. Mar-K was charging almost $256 for shipping $1224 total. With a code from Brothers I got it down to $1073 including bed mounting pads. Thanks again. Looking forward to finishing this truck soon. Rob.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
jwhotrod

check out www.bedwoodandparts.com they are in Kentucky and i have seen them at the NSRA nationals and produce good product as well.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
mr48chev

Most of the regular online truck trinket places are within pocket change of each other price wise. Where some of them get you is on their shipping and handling costs.

Classic parts ships small parts for the cost of the priority mail box they fit in. If you get a bunch of little pieces that will fit in the box the shipping cost is just for the box.

For bigger parts it still is quality of the part, then the total cost for you when it is all said and done including shipping, tax and other fees. The other thing might be the wait for a close by supplier to get parts in on a stock order if they don't have them in stock.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostaRob View Post
Thanks Rickysnickers. I'm not sure why my photos always turn sideways. How did you fix this? MR48chev thanks for the code. Those prices I provided were the actual on my doorstep price. Mar-K was charging almost $256 for shipping $1224 total. With a code from Brothers I got it down to $1073 including bed mounting pads. Thanks again. Looking forward to finishing this truck soon. Rob.
No problem. It seems to happen to those who post using their phones. I save it, right clicked "edit in pictures", rotated it and then saved it again.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
mr48chev

It happens a lot as RS said, I've done a few of them too. It's a lot easier to look at right side up. I don't have the app on my phone though.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Most of the regular online truck trinket places are within pocket change of each other price wise. Where some of them get you is on their shipping and handling costs.

Classic parts ships small parts for the cost of the priority mail box they fit in. If you get a bunch of little pieces that will fit in the box the shipping cost is just for the box.

For bigger parts it still is quality of the part, then the total cost for you when it is all said and done including shipping, tax and other fees. The other thing might be the wait for a close by supplier to get parts in on a stock order if they don't have them in stock.

Vendors that inflate shipping charges and are slow to ship permeate the collector hobby. Then when your parts finally ship you have to wonder if they will arrive in one piece, often times they don't.

FWIW my experience with Mar-K is great, without question their parts are exceptional quality, and expertly packed for shipping. I got a tailgate, rear sill and a pair of box sides in 3 separate shipments, without a problem and shipping costs were reasonable.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
_Ogre

bed wood is about the easiest piece to reproduce on our trucks
all it takes is a table saw or a friend with a table saw
i used trex plastic decking but the cuts are the same
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
_Ogre

i recessed the strips a little more to protect the paint vs shovel slide the strips are meant to be
each edge gets two cuts on the saw... easy peasy
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #14
_Ogre

and buy bed bolts from boltdepot.com
you can get 100 ss bolts, nuts and washers for 1/3 of the cost of 66 bolts sets from vendors
all the fender, bed, step bolts and spare tire mount on truk are ss
you do have top think a little and know how many top make your order
shipping can eat you up on small orders, just like any vendor, try to get all at one time

Old 10-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
Tempest67

That is a clever way to cut the trex deck boards Ogre.

Thanks for sharing
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote