The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Shenandoah National Park????

My wife has some vacation time coming up in October and wants to head east this year.
This isn’t an especially great time for me to do this but it’s something I have to do.
She has her mind set on the Shenandoah National Park. Part of her wanting to do it now is because of the turning of the leaves.
She’d love to go to Arlington and all the historical sites. That’s not happening this year for sure but the S.N.P is doable. She told me it’s open so there’s that.
I’m looking for some input from you fellas from up around there, if you want to chime in a give me the skinny on the good and bad.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Shenandoah National Park????

I am no source of info, but I love that part of the country. I have been to DC a couple of times and would love to go and spend a couple of weeks.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

It is a beautiful place to go, well worth it in my opinion. I spent a lot of time up there in the 70's (I know I am ancient). My wife would also like to go again some day as we have never been there together. This time of year is great to go there, but lots of people go there during this time (well at least the use to before all this dumb stuff today).

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

We do skyline drive and the Blue ridge on bikes often . Been thinking mid October this year we just did the Blue Ridge in spring after the C10 nationals in the Suburban.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

You will love the area. The park is all about Skyline Drive and the hiking trails that spur off of it. You will find it gets very crowded during the leaf changing. But weekdays are better. The good part is Skyline Drive is for riding the ridge and looking down while you can also ride along the valley near the river and look up! US340 is a nice drive from Front Royal (Skyline Drive's N. terminus) all the way south. I was just down in Page County between Front Royal and Luray at my sister's place (S. Fork of Shenandoah). There are so many roads to explore or just take 340 to and through all the towns. You can cross over the mountain to the east and check the rolling hills and mountain out from that side or cross over Massanutten to the west into the big valley (N.Fork). US 11 runs along to and through all the old towns. Lots of countryside, farmland, colorful leaves everywhere. There are campgrounds outside the park and trails going up into the National Park from the bottom. There is also Shenandoah State Park in Bentonville off of US340. Across 340 in Bentonville we took a trail to a waterfall, the smaller lower one, at the base of Blue Ridge (the mountain Skyline Drive is on). It was only about 2 miles, maybe less.

Fort Valley is a neat area. It's a hidden valley between the two forks nestled in the middle of Massanutten. Confederate troops[were able to hold up there without the Union Army having a clue.

I guess what I am saying is you don't even have to enter the national Park to enjoy with the area has to offer. I would want to check it out. But there is far more to do than stay in the park the whole vacation. There are also caverns, which Luray Caverns being the largest and best known. Great for a rainy day
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
burnin oil

Adding on to what Special K said. Route 11 is gorgeous and used to be a truck route way back when and is now just a country highway. In alot of small towns you will still see it labeled as Lee Highway. I always preferred going south of Roanoke on the parkway towards N Carolina but it is a slow drive. Plenty of overlooks with views of farms, woodlands and mountains.

Bedford has the WW2 museum which is supposed to be really good and Roanoke has the transportation museum with a decent amount of steam stuff. Good for an hour or two.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
biketopia

Tim hit it on the head. There's a lot to do up there without even going into the park. The leaves are amazing out there, I would definitely avoid it on weekends. We've had a decently wet year so the leaves should turn a nice color instead of green to brown like they did last year. My brother lives in the town of Front Royal which is "the gateway to Skyline drive" and Im out there often. Front Royal has events most weekends, plus the town has a few antique shops, museums, brewery, and restaurants on top of all the other things a major town off the highway would have. Depending on what your interests are and where you might stay there is tons to see and do. Beautiful wineries and breweries out there in the Front Royal and surrounding areas, down in Charlottesville is a great place to go and see the sights. A little further east out I66 has some good historic areas in Marshal, Winchester is only 30 min north of Front Royal. Can venture up to Charesltown/Harpers Ferry West VA as well. My buddy's family has 76 acres in Fort Valley we go hunt and camp on every year that is a fun little area. George Washington National Forest is there too. There's great fishing and other activities like apple picking, hiking, sight seeing, skyline caverns and Luray caverns. Cooters Place is in Luray, fun little stop for the Dukes of Hazzard Fans. Then like Tim said R11, 340, etc etc. Plenty of Moose, Elk, Eagle, etc lodges out there too.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
1976gmc20

John Denver flunked geography
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

If you mean about him singing about the Shenandoah River being in West Virginia, to his credit it does end up running it's last miles in West Virginia before it's confluence with the Potomac River at Harpers Ferry. It is mostly the line between VA and WVA near it's end, but right at Harper's Ferry West Virginia is on both sides of the river. I never realized that for a long time. From Maryland you cross one bridge over the Potomac into VA, run along that shore a couple miles, then cross a second bridge over to Harpers ferry. But about midway between the bridges you cross the state line into WVA. It is true the Shenandoah originates and runs most of it's hundred or so miles in VA and I think of the Shenandoah Valley as in VA. I guess a little piece of the valley is in WVA. Heck, Winchester, VA claims to be in the Shenandoah Valley and it t's a good ways north of the river. The valley is actually only a section of the Great Appalachian Valley that US11 and most of I-81 run through. In MD we just call it The Valley and once in PA they call it the Cumberland Valley. That picture I showed in another thread just across the valley from the Blue Ridge Mts across the valley to the Appalachians. It helps to know history as much as geography when it comes to VA and WVA since it was all VA until WVA was split off during the Civil War. WVA is a young state by East Coast standards. Newer than many western states. Not all that long before Montana

Off of Skyline Drive are some great hikes to high vistas. Stony Man is one great vantage point of the valley. This is Little Stony Man

Name:  Little-Stony-Man_DW.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  38.3 KB

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Well me and the misses are doing a road trip. Doing the skyline and blue ridge , were looking for places to set up a tent and get a shower for the night looing like the week of the 18th thru the 26th. Of October Not adverse to KOAs but would like to meet some members here
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Thanks fellas!!!
I’m really starting to get stoked about this trip.
The pictures helped.. Thanks Tim! Im glad you chimed in.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #12
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If you mean about him singing about the Shenandoah River being in West Virginia, to his credit it does end up running it's last miles in West Virginia before it's confluence with the Potomac River at Harpers Ferry. It is mostly the line between VA and WVA near it's end, but right at Harper's Ferry West Virginia is on both sides of the river. I never realized that for a long time. From Maryland you cross one bridge over the Potomac into VA, run along that shore a couple miles, then cross a second bridge over to Harpers ferry. But about midway between the bridges you cross the state line into WVA. It is true the Shenandoah originates and runs most of it's hundred or so miles in VA and I think of the Shenandoah Valley as in VA. I guess a little piece of the valley is in WVA. Heck, Winchester, VA claims to be in the Shenandoah Valley and it t's a good ways north of the river. The valley is actually only a section of the Great Appalachian Valley that US11 and most of I-81 run through. In MD we just call it The Valley and once in PA they call it the Cumberland Valley. That picture I showed in another thread just across the valley from the Blue Ridge Mts across the valley to the Appalachians. It helps to know history as much as geography when it comes to VA and WVA since it was all VA until WVA was split off during the Civil War. WVA is a young state by East Coast standards. Newer than many western states. Not all that long before Montana

Off of Skyline Drive are some great hikes to high vistas. Stony Man is one great vantage point of the valley. This is Little Stony Man

Attachment 2051933
Tim is dead on. I really can’t add much. I lived my first 25 years on top of the blue ridge 5 minutes south of Harpers Ferry. You absolutely need to get to Harpers Ferry. It’s one of my favorite places on earth. My wife is from New Mexico and it’s her favorite place. You don’t need to go up on top of the blue ridge to enjoy the beauty of the area. Cooters was mentioned down in Luray. It’s definitely a place I’d hit up. If you go on Saturday’s, Ben Jones himself is normally there playing music with his band. Lots of cool stuff from the show there. Luray caverns is a cool place but rather commercialized. If you want a more rustic cave experience, Endless caverns off of I-81 at New Market is a cool place. Jump on 211 from there and cross over Massanutten mountain to Cooters and Luray. There’s so much to do in that area everything mentioned in this thread is just the surface of it all.
I was always told that John Denver was speaking of Rt.9 in West Virginia, it crosses the Shenandoah a few miles south of Harpers Ferry. I don’t know if that’s true or not but it’s certainly folk lore for that part of the country. First and last pictures are the scenery around Harpers Ferry, cooters, and endless caverns.
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 10-01-2020 at 09:16 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:33 AM   #13
kipps

If strenuous hiking is your thing, Old Rag mountain is a very popular option. If you hike it, it must be on a weekday. The weekends are stupidly busy during that time of year. Be ready to hike at 8am, which will also help beat the worst of the crowds.

If you're on the east side of the Blue Ridge, normally I'd suggest checking out Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier, Colonial Williamsburg(further away). But with Covid, I'm sure the options for these historical tours are limited.

Dayton Virginia is just south of Harrisonburg, and has some of the most idyllic farmland in the state. Lots of tiny dairy and vegetable farms operated by horse-and-buggy Mennonites.

Don't drive the length of Skyline Drive and assume that's the end of it. The scenic road continues via the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is arguably even better than Skyline Drive, just without the vistas.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #14
biketopia

Old rag is busy well before 8am these days, a lot of people go to watch the sun rise. My buddy and his girlfriend went last Friday and there was a line of cars already there at 7 when they pulled up. Mt Vernon is in Alexandria, way out of the way if you're spending time in Shenandoah, but Monticello is in Charlottesville, depending on where you are staying and your route to and from home, would be a good stop. My folks have a retirement place in Williamsburg and I'm down there often too. They are open and doing tours etc, but again that's a trek from the valley area. Natural bridge is another sight that might be worth checking out too.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
TwoFiftyShifter

Tim,

I camped up that way and there was a fire tower that looked out toward I81 and had a great view of a switchback looking river. Perhaps that was fort valley?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #16
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
Tim,

I camped up that way and there was a fire tower that looked out toward I81 and had a great view of a switchback looking river. Perhaps that was fort valley?
If you were looking at the seven bends of the Shenandoah River from the smoke tower, your back was to Fort Valley.
This particular area was called Powell's Fort Valley and legend has it that Powell and a group of his men ambushed a Union payroll and buried it somewhere in Fort Valley.
I was a kid when my grandparents lived in the Valley and I'd spend summers at their place. Dry Run, Seven Fountains, Crossroads, Carmel, were my "neighborhood". There was a general store at Dry Run with the obligatory "Nehi" "Pepsi" "Old Gold" "Chesterfield" and "Lucky Strike" (with the green bull's eye) metal signs, stacked stones supporting the front porch, stripped tree trunks supporting the porch roof, and always a couple of old farmers in bib overalls discussing corn prices, while sharing the gossip of the area.
I had uncles, aunts, and cousins in that area, but that was in the late 40's, early 50's and the old saying "You can't ever go home again." is so true.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Slomo, that post was one of the more interesting ones I have read in quite a while. I knew by other posts in the past that you had spent time in Silver Spring, MD... knew about the 4-corners area before there was a Beltway/495. My assumptions, from what little info I had, had me thinking that you were originally from Maine, spent time in the Wash, DC area while in military service, and went back to Maine. Not saying I put much thought to it, but my mind does crank on what it is fed... for what it's worth. Very interesting to learn you have roots in that area. It is true it wouldn't be the same, but then again it wouldn't be all that changes. All things considered... mostly all the years. It's not on the way to anywhere. You have to need or want to be in Fort Valley to go there, and for that reason it remains much unchanged. Certainly not developed. The same old story is true, though. Those small local businesses haven't survived. Things are more centralized in the bigger towns near the bigger roads. I can see why you would like Maine for being less changed, not everyone want to flock there. Makes it better for those who do appreciate it.

I had a bunch of power steering boxes for 69-72s I advertised on Craigslist a couple years ago. I had on old feller interested and when he said he was from Fort Valley and he rebuilt them and needed one to convert his '61 to p/s I made him a killer deal on the lot. Met him in Berryville so he wouldn't have to drive so far. It was an interesting sale for the chance to meet and talk with him a while.

My grandmother was from Saumsville, VA, a bit west of Maurertown not far from Woodstock

Tim

Old 10-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
slomotion
Old Duffer

Apologies to Kingsolver72 for the hijack, but I have to add a couple small anecdotes.....
The last time I was at Woodstock tower the trees had grown so tall the view was pretty much obscured. At that time the entire roof of the tower was covered with carved initials - mine included. (Even this was 30 years ago.)
My wife and I cruised by the old homestead on St David's Church Rd off of Rt 678 (Fort Valley Road,) at Carmel in '85 and stopped at the bridge over Passage Creek to share a cantaloupe we had bought at a roadside stand.
The same minnows were darting around in the same holes between the rocks!
There were several new (to me) houses built along the way and St David's was now paved. I remembered a dusty gravel road, with rusty barbed wire on grayed posts with dust on the Queen Anne's Lace that grew between the road and the fence.
Tim, you are correct in that Fort Valley is relatively hidden and not on the way to anywhere as far as tourists are concerned, but talking to a couple of people that day it was evident that Rt 66 made a big difference as although long, a commute to DC wasn't uncommon.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, Rt66 brought that area closer to DC and DC to that area. More than even in the last 10-15 years. At 340/522 & I-66 it's now Generica with shopping centers on both sides with the national stores. And they call that Front Royal when you have to pass through Riverton to get there. Once over the forks into Front Royal still seems the same as always and same continuing on. But head toward Winchester and there have been large housing developments gobbling up the countryside, a hotel, and convenience stores. The housing is off in the distance with huge gateways visible from 349/522. I-66 is the road to hell, though. Terrible traffic making the drive longer than the miles. So not sure how much more developing will happen. It's back to a long drive again.

Hey Scott, I also apologize for the hijack. Don't change your mind over this! It is still the great area you are hoping to see. Just get to Front Royal and you'll be good. I hope you contact me so we could meet up if you'd like. I don't want to detract from you two's enjoyment. I'm thinking maybe join in on a hike. It's up to you, and of course your significant other.

Tim

Old 10-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Killer Bee

thank you for the John Denver song stuck in my head now

which also reminds me of this place across from ganahls the missus and I really like

Shenandoah at the arbor

Old 10-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Stayed in Lincoln State Parks near Dale Indiana last night.
We just now pulled in to West Virginia. We’ll be here for the night.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #22
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Lincoln State Park last night. My wife signed up for a virtual 5k and I ran with her this morning before we broke camp.
Beautiful place.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #23
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Apologies to Kingsolver72 for the hijack, but I have to add a couple small anecdotes.....
The last time I was at Woodstock tower the trees had grown so tall the view was pretty much obscured. At that time the entire roof of the tower was covered with carved initials - mine included. (Even this was 30 years ago.)
My wife and I cruised by the old homestead on St David's Church Rd off of Rt 678 (Fort Valley Road,) at Carmel in '85 and stopped at the bridge over Passage Creek to share a cantaloupe we had bought at a roadside stand.
There were several new (to me) houses built along the way and St David's was now paved. I remembered a dusty gravel road, with rusty barbed wire on grayed posts with dust on the Queen Anne's Lace that grew between the road and the fence.
Tim, you are correct in that Fort Valley is relatively hidden and not on the way to anywhere as far as tourists are concerned, but talking to a couple of people that day it was evident that Rt 66 made a big difference as although long, a commute to DC wasn't uncommon.
I don’t look at it like you’ve hijacked this thread.
Interesting stories.
I appreciate everyone’s 2 cents.
I’m learning a lot about that part of our country!
So thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah, Rt66 brought that area closer to DC and DC to that area. More than even in the last 10-15 years. At 340/522 & I-66 it's now Generica with shopping centers on both sides with the national stores. And they call that Front Royal when you have to pass through Riverton to get there. Once over the forks into Front Royal still seems the same as always and same continuing on. But head toward Winchester and there have been large housing developments gobbling up the countryside, a hotel, and convenience stores. The housing is off in the distance with huge gateways visible from 349/522. I-66 is the road to hell, though. Terrible traffic making the drive longer than the miles. So not sure how much more developing will happen. It's back to a long drive again.

Hey Scott, I also apologize for the hijack. Don't change your mind over this! It is still the great area you are hoping to see. Just get to Front Royal and you'll be good. I hope you contact me so we could meet up if you'd like. I don't want to detract from you two's enjoyment. I'm thinking maybe join in on a hike. It's up to you, and of course your significant other.
Change my mind..naw? I’m stoked.

I’d really like to meet up with you Tim.. you’re one of the fellas here that it would be an honor for me to meet.
Perhaps we can figure something out.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #24
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
If it’s been that long since you were in Woodstock you probably won’t recognize it’s any more. They’ve built a bunch of houses down there over the last 20 years or so too. My great Grandaddy lived down there for 25+ years. When I was little my granddaddy and me used to go down and visit him up until his death in ‘99. The last couple times I’ve been down there since we moved west 7 years ago, I’ve noticed more developments each time. Front Royal has grown a ton, all the people running from the dc area who still want to be close enough to 66 to get there in a relatively easy fashion. Tim is right the traffic is atrocious, or at least it was a few years ago when I drove that stretch.
My grandma still lives in Berryville. It’s grown a little but not too bad. Winchester and Martinsburg have both grown a lot. Winchester pretty much extends all the way to stephens city any more.

Kingsolver, if you get time the home made maple syrup in McDowell is really good. It’s about an hour and a half west of Harrisonburg, take 42 west to 250 up and over the Allegheny’s/George Washington National forest. It’s an amazingly beautiful drive and one of the few places around with no cell service, you won’t regret it.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 10-03-2020 at 10:36 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

I don't know what routes you are taking. Maybe I-70? Then drop down maybe I-79? If you go east on I-68 to I-81S, you will pass over/by Friendsville, MD and the Youghiogheny River. First exit in MD. That's where my mom lives and was born & raised. Maybe you are approaching farther south. It's all good mountain scenery for you now, however you go. Other than a slight chance of passing shower tonight, it looks like great weather all week.

Tim