The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
saxart

Quick Steering Column Question

I have a quick question about setting up a steering column. I rebuilt the column in my truck this past winter and am in the final throws of getting the truck back on the road. The issue we're having is the horn goes on whenever we connect a battery to the truck . After about an hour of testing and research, we've narrowed it down to this...

Here is a pic of the inside of the steering column under the turn-signal switch. See the blue arrow I added to the pic? (I'll get to that in a minute)

Now here is a pic of the back-side of the turn signal switch.

See the RED arrow? This spot is grounding out on the previously mentioned spot with the blue arrow inside the column. The minute I remove the screws holding the turn switch to the column, and pull it away, the horn goes off.

Is there supposed to be some sort of insulation between these two pieces? On the front side of the turn signal switch is the plunger that rides on the back of the turn signal cam. With the switch removed like this, I can take a scrap piece of wire, touch it to the switch plunger on the front, and ground it on the steering shaft to make the horn honk. (Which is how the horn button works.)

As silly as it sounds, I'm thinking of just putting a small piece of electrical tape on the back of the switch (near the red arrow) and reassembling it. The horn button should then activate the horn. It seems wonky, but also seems like it would work.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Last edited by saxart; 06-08-2018 at 05:29 PM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
saxart

Re: Quick Steering Column Question

I thought I would post an update since nobody had an answer. I tore into it today and was able to figure out the problem. Before going any further, I should mention that the issue ended up being the repro turn signal switch that Classic Parts sells.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72...tinfo/53-509A/

This is switch is very well made and looks spot-on to the original switch with the small RED emergency flasher knob. Please don't think I'm bashing this part in any way, as it was exactly what my 1970 needed, but there is a minor manufacturing defect. Anyway, here's what I found..

After tearing things apart, it was obvious that the spots mentioned above were not making contact. (You can see the space between them here)

Then I noticed a tiny rub mark on the pot-metal part that goes under the turn signal switch.

As it turns out that small round metal part is what was rubbing on the pot metal piece and making contact. (Sorry for the hairy leg in the background, I was wearing shorts and didn't realize it was in the pic!)

You can see it protruding here:

I was able to "clearance" it with a dremel tool, and now it works fine.

I hope this helps someone who buys this part.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for posting the followup. I couldn't figure out how it could be shorting out where you first thought it was, but I'm not familiar with that replacement part.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Tony71c10

I'm having the same issue with the same Classic Parts Turn signal switch. I just got frustrated and left it unplugged from the half moon, will take it apart and do the same thing you did. Thanks for the info
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
69Tom

Repop turn signals are the worst for all classic cars. Can’t tell you how many issues I’ve had with them in the past. I try to buy NOS switches when I can.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #6
Tony71c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Tom View Post
Repop turn signals are the worst for all classic cars. Can’t tell you how many issues I’ve had with them in the past. I try to buy NOS switches when I can.
This is the second one I tried in this column, NOS are hard to find
Tony71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

I just rebuilt the tilt wheel column for my ramp truck. I may need to check this before I install it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:28 PM   #8
70K5AK

Logged in just to say that this saved me today. Huge thanks to Saxart. People need to start leaving their Venmo in their tags so i can buy them a beer!
70K5AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:48 AM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70K5AK View Post
Logged in just to say that this saved me today. Huge thanks to Saxart. People need to start leaving their Venmo in their tags so i can buy them a beer!

Welcome to the board. It's good to see that some of the old threads are still helping people.

Here's what happened to a guy here in Iowa when he posted his Venmo username on a sign he held up at a football game....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/22/us/ca...rnd/index.html

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:57 PM   #10
MikeB

I used an AC Delco turn signal switch when I shortened my 69 non-tilt column in early 2022. It's exactly like the OE switch in every detail. I paid around $55 for it at my local Autozone.

Wow! I see where Autozone now wants $75 for it. Even RockAuto is $57 plus shipping. Now that's some serious inflation!

I think these are the correct P/Ns:
Part# D6216 - ACDelco
Part# 01894852 - GM
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 05:49 PM   #11
cj847

I had a similar horn problem recently. It turns out that I had added a washer under my turn signal arm screw. That height difference along with a little play in the upper column bearing would cause the horn to ground at random times, generally while turning.
One fix causes another problem......lol.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:54 PM   #12
Accelo

GM Genuine Parts D6216 Turn Signal Switch. Claims it is GM replacement?
It has the flat connection, not the half round. $44.62
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D6216.../dp/B000C9QJOK

The same part number at AutoZone is $75.99 just like MikeB indicated.

I know Tilt and standard columns require different turn signal parts.
On I purchased didn't have the removable hazard switch button.
It may have functioned but was impossible to assemble, at least it was in the tilt column.
One of the simple parts that ends up being a PITA.
Cheers

Last edited by Accelo; 01-03-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote