The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
Droff

Convert to floor shifter - Lokar specific

I've got a '68 GMC 3/4 ton that I want to swap to a floor shift, I have a 700R4 transmission, column shift. I plan on going with a Lokar 16" shifter but there are a couple models for this.
One model mounts to the tranny and one model mounts to the floor. I haven't decided on which one to go with yet, don't know why one would be any better than the other one.
Anyone have some input on which would be 'better', 'easiest', 'preferred', etc and why?
This will be my first jump into doing this conversion, just looking for some more info before I go a certain route.
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Convert to floor shifter - Lokar specific

Depends where you want the shifter handle.
Floor mounted you can put it anywhere.
Tranny mounted you’re stuck with the location.
Might be too far forward close to the dash.

Here’s some info.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=716005
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Droff

Thanks for that link, I'd seen that before and had forgotten about it. Looks like the floor mount is more painless than the tranny mount, more flexibility as well. Looks like I'll more than likely be going that direction.
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
MikeB

Have you thought about what to use for a gear indicator? We used this one in a buddy's car. It's also available with the indicator mounted on the boot hold-down ring.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...8aAkD4EALw_wcB

It works well, but it's expensive and not a trivial installation, and Lokar doesn't seem to offer a mechanical indicator. Or you could skip the indicator and just select gears by feel, which you probaly do more times than not with a column shifter.

Here's option from B&M.

https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/p...-light-truck/?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Droff

Thanks for the link but really not too concerned with the gear indicator, just go by feel of the shifter. I may change my mind on that so good to know it's out there.

I had planned on the Lokar but that B&M doesn't look too bad, not sure on the shifter mount/boot, that looks pretty big.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droff View Post
Thanks for the link but really not too concerned with the gear indicator, just go by feel of the shifter.
That's what I would have done had it been my car. Much easier and way less expensive.

Don't forget about neutral safety switch and back-up light switch.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
OregonNed

I installed the cable operated model in my ‘68. It took a lot of work for me to get things mounted and lined up for smooth operation. It took some trial and error to find the best
Spot on the high hump to mount everything. I bought a new trans tunnel cover to start
Fresh. Hardest thing I found was getting the cable mount on the trans itself in the best position to allow a smooth shift. Ended up with literally hardly any adjustment latitude but everything worked out. It had to mount in a weird angle to clear my trans crossmember. Customer support was awesome when I had to contact them a few times. I have a few pics of the process I can post if wanted
Old 11-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Droff

This is the shifter I plan on going with;

https://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/XFMS6700BB/10002/-1

Other than maybe a shifter boot, is there anything else parts wise I may need for the install/conversion?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
MikeB

Looks like it includes a neutral safety switch, but I see no mention of a backup light switch.

Also, if you haven't already done it, sign up for Jeg's e-mails. In recent weeks there have been some offering 10% off, and before that $10 off $100, $25 off $250, and $50 off $500. Summit Racing has also sent me several discount codes.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
OregonNed

The back-up light switch is a separate, available item that mounts down on the lever into the transmission, (at least on a TH350). Because of my situation, I had to move the shifter bracket forward on pan bolts that are different than indicated in the instructions, (because of the crossmember issue and it being a cable shifter). With than said, I was no longer able to install the switch. Hopefully this will not be the case on this shifter on a 700.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
dirtyjim

Quote:
This is the shifter I plan on going with;

https://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/XFMS6700BB/10002/-1

Other than maybe a shifter boot, is there anything else parts wise I may need for the install/conversion?

Thanks.

the only thing I don't like about that shifter is it uses a solid linkage instead of a cable. I prefer solid linkage on trans mount shifters and cable on floor mounts. as long as your body mounts, motor mounts and trans mount is in good condition it shouldn't be an issue.

its more of a personal preference but I would run this one if I was doing a floor mount https://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/COS6700BM/10002/-1

I've also mounted floor mounts to high hump trans tunnels and had to reinforce the back side of the trans tunnel to stiffen them up
Old 11-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Droff

All good info to know. I'll get under the truck and look into clearances but if I recall, the body mounts look to be in good shape. Transmission was changed by a shop about 4 months ago, he's a gear head with a Chevelle amongst his collection, I'd guess he checked the tranny mount. I don't believe I've got a high hump.
Are back-up light switches a stand alone part I can pick up? Currently my back-up lights are inop.
I'm not against a cable operated set up, linkage was a bit less $$$.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
68Stepbed

I have the 16" floor mounted shifter. Floor mount is a good option if the trans is already installed. The trans has to be dropped or removed to install the trans mounted shifter. Also, with either one, upgrade to the cable instead of the threaded rod linkage.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
OregonNed

This is a problem I worked with for quite a while, and couldn't come up with a solution - the crossmember. I had to mount to these pan bolts instead of both back two bolts as instructed. Not sure if the crossmember is the issue, or just how it is. Left very little latitude for adjustment, but got it pretty smooth, though the solid part of the cable angles down slightly.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #15
Droff

I appreciate the info on the little quirks, helps quite a bit. You've got me going toward the cable over the linkage at this point, looks like it could be more forgiving. The transmission is in the truck and I'm not going to take it out for the shifter mounting.
Ned - I know we've got different transmissions so maybe that's the crossmember hiccup but I don't think I'll run into that. Looks like plenty of room but I could be mistaken.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #16
OregonNed

Quote:
I appreciate the info on the little quirks, helps quite a bit. You've got me going toward the cable over the linkage at this point, looks like it could be more forgiving. The transmission is in the truck and I'm not going to take it out for the shifter mounting.
Ned - I know we've got different transmissions so maybe that's the crossmember hiccup but I don't think I'll run into that. Looks like plenty of room but I could be mistaken.
Hopefully so. I also had an advantage in purchasing a new high hump, so I could cut and mount it on the bench, and figure out placement. Its on the flat part and slightly forward to accommodate mounting the bracket that holds the cable to the hump. Just some trial and error to get it right.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
dirtyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
Hopefully so. I also had an advantage in purchasing a new high hump, so I could cut and mount it on the bench, and figure out placement. Its on the flat part and slightly forward to accommodate mounting the bracket that holds the cable to the hump. Just some trial and error to get it right.
high hump trans tunnels make it easy
Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
high hump trans tunnels make it easy
I need to upgrade to a high hump! If it weren't for the the fact I'd have to buy new carpet, I would.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Droff

Ok guys, thanks for all the info, I picked up the cable operated version. Went through Summit, they had $25 off.

I need to cut a hole in the floor. From what's been posted here, it looks like the shifter location can be moved as needed for clearance with the seat/dash - or at least easier with the cable/floor mount model shifter.

I had planned on cutting a hole straight up from where the cable attaches to the transmission.
Good starting point or go with another reference?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Convert to floor shifter - Lokar specific

Make sure the hole will allow for the stiffness of the cable routing. I know you said Lokar shifter and that you have already bought it.

But:

Here is something for others to consider when doing this in the future.

Buy a nice S10 floor shifter for the 700R4 and mount it. This is what I did in my 71. It now has a 4L80E hooked into it. The pictures where when I was mocking it up and the toggle switch was for the 700R4 lock up. The 4L80E doesn't need it.
The other thing is it has the neutral safety switch and a brake solenoid and back up switch also if you want it hooked up all in the gear shifter.
I use the solenoid for a anti theft, I hooked it up with a hidden switch I can cut off and they may crank it but it want go in gear no matter what they do.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:14 AM   #21
OregonNed

Quote:
Ok guys, thanks for all the info, I picked up the cable operated version. Went through Summit, they had $25 off.

I need to cut a hole in the floor. From what's been posted here, it looks like the shifter location can be moved as needed for clearance with the seat/dash - or at least easier with the cable/floor mount model shifter.

I had planned on cutting a hole straight up from where the cable attaches to the transmission.
Good starting point or go with another reference?

Thanks.
Here is a link to the instructions for a GM cable shifter - I read them closely a few times before the shifter arrived - might help with your questions..

http://www.lokar.com/assets/instruct...eOpShifter.pdf
Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #22
c1971

I have a 1968 c10 that was originally 250 with 4 spd. I already had new carpet in the truck and changed my mind and installed a TBI 350 with 4L80E. I did not want to cut the floor or redo the carpet so I went with 16" tranny mounted Lokar and used the original shifter location and the original shifter boot. Plenty of room to dash and works well.
c1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
72LB

23" fits perfect in my 69, I plan to do the high hump in the future.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #24
Droff

Thanks for that Ned, I haven't taken anything out of the Lokar box yet and hadn't seen those instructions.
The floor position references help as well, getting more of a warm fuzzy.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
Bobbed72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LB View Post
23" fits perfect in my 69, I plan to do the high hump in the future.
I've been daydreaming of that shifter. How's the throw? does it come back far towards the seat? The only thing that keeps me from converting from the column is leaving the middle available for a passenger.
Bobbed72 is offline   Reply With Quote