The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do guys mean this, or is it just a thing they say?

Ive been catching up on a bunch of threads. One thing Ive noticed more than usual...

My wife let me buy this. My wife gave me the OK. My wife would never let me buy this but so and so convinced her. I asked my wife she said no. I asked my wife she said yes ... I dunno, just seems like a weird thing to say.

To me a married couple is a team, but it sounds like some of the fellas here need to look in someone's purse for some missing anatomy lol!

Our agreement here is I don't spend family money on my "projects" and I don't leave stuff laying out, so the place never takes on the aura of a junk yard lol. Heck, I wouldn't like that either.

And let me get this out of the way because I know its coming. Its better to ask for forgiveness instead of getting permission.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Re: Do guys mean this, or is it just a thing they say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
To me a married couple is a team, but it sounds like some of the fellas here need to look in someone's purse for some missing anatomy
Exactly this! But some of these guys better ask permission from the wife to even look for their missing anatomy in their purse, LMAO. Truth be told, I used the "wife won't let me" as an excuse not to buy something I showed interest in, LOL.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Exactly this! But some of these guys better ask permission from the wife to even look for their missing anatomy in their purse, LMAO. Truth be told, I used the "wife won't let me" as an excuse not to buy something I showed interest in, LOL.
OK, this I get ... makes total sense.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I dunno, Mark. I'm not exactly a spendthrift so my wife has nothing to worry about. If I need / want something, I buy it, she never complains. We've been married 47 years and have always had separate bank accounts. This year when I was getting frustrated with my K20's issues, she told me more than once to buy a new truck if I wanted to. I did not want to.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

The way I see it is this is a second marriage. I came into the marriage with money she did not. In fact her ex had things so screwed up she came into the relationship in debt and with literally a dresser full of clothes. I purchased the home, furnishings and the cars she drives out of my money and it was bought because of the land and shop so I could run my hauling and automotive business out of the house. She has all the bills paid and does not work. I will not listen to *****ing as long as that is the circumstances

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
4u2nv

*****s
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Coley

Smile Re: Do guys mean this, or is it just a thing they say?

Wow....very interesting observation about a weird communication technique that I hear too from time to time.

Let's look at it a different way;

"....My HUSBAND let me buy this. My HUSBAND gave me the OK. My HUSBAND would never let me buy this but so and so convinced him. I asked my HUSBAND he said no. I asked my HUSBAND he said yes..."

Its interesting when you turn this around and reflect it back on women or wives it gives the impression that they are weak or subservient...which is probably why you hear very few wives (hopefully) say this, lol.

Regardless, so long as you are responsibly holding your end up you do not have to assume a subservient position within the marriage....and they tend to prefer it if you do hold your own, to be quite honest.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
leddzepp

Quote:
Truth be told, I used the "wife won't let me" as an excuse not to buy something I showed interest in, LOL.
Exactly. It’s a polite way to say “I came to my senses and am not buying your overpriced piece of crap”.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
truckster

When I say my wife bought me something, it's because I think she's been particularly thoughtful. When I say she let me buy something, it's because she agreed to let me exceed our agreed-upon budget.

In the case of the Vortec 5.7 I'm building for my Blazer, I credit my wife because I was just going to stick a used engine in it (I'm cheap) and my wife convinced me to spend the money on a complete rebuild.

To me, having a partnership means that you share everything, and when you make a big decision, you share that as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

When I was married there was no "let" or "allow" to it. No one stood lord over the other. We both had free will. If we couldn't trust the other to use good judgement then we weren't really in a marriage. Plus, I got with someone who loved me for who I was and what I did. I also always made sure she had some cool old cars. It's not like they weren't something I didn't like driving. When out looking for my collectibles it was just as likely I'd find and bring home things she collected, and vice-versa. We would discuss the bigger purchases, but I could just do it when it came to most stuff and I wasn't required to report everything I bought
EDIT: And we always had separate bank accounts.

I think some really do have a marriage where the wife controls the money. I've seen absolute proof, often with guys who worked for me. It went beyond asking for permission to purchase, the paycheck was handed to the wife and she would allot a daily allowance. I'd have guys cash their check, hold back some before handing it over to the wife, and the wife would call me to raise hell for paying so little for the hours he worked. I could never live under such control.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-13-2018 at 09:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

There is a book worth reading called (if I recall correctly) Being a Man in a Woman's World. It's most certainly a "woman's world" now.....

I've seen it both ways: one or the other will be the "decision maker" as they talked about at the car lot where I used to work. I saw that just last month on a rental....clearly the wife was in charge and the wife was rather nutty. I don't see that marriage surviving....I give them less than ten years.

American society does attack the male and in many cases men have become submissive. Low self esteem plays a huge part, as it does in any codependency relationship.

As for me, I have no intention of controlling my mate and I will not stand for a mate to attempt to control me. My current squeeze seems to grasp this, which is a big reason she's the squeeze and maybe the future wife.

Now a lot of guys will say "have to ask my boss" but I think that's more of a joke than anything else.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Now a lot of guys will say "have to ask my boss" but I think that's more of a joke than anything else.

I agree with this, and my guess is when someone says their wife let them do this or that it may also be similar, hopefully lol.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
davischevy

We've been married 47 years.

We have always had separate checking accounts.

We never ask permission of each other to do anything, but we discuss everything.

We make logical decisions on purchases, and never buy on credit.

There's not much drama around here.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

^^ Dang Larry, are we long lost relatives we never knew about? You just pretty much described Mrs Stocker & me, right down to the 47 years....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Coley

Yep...separate accounts here too.

I do agree tho' that any major money decisions should be a marriage discussion...so to speak.
There are also a lot of sneaky guys out there who decide to suddenly drop $2-3K...or $5k (lol) on a new engine or project.
For most families that is a chunk of dough and is certainly discussion worthy in my books....I know I would discuss it with my wife.
Imagine if you found out your wife went out last weekend and dropped $1500 on a few pairs of shoes and a new purse....you, like most would be pixxxedd, as would I, lol.

A good balance rooted in mutual respect and personal responsibility is undoubtedly the way to go I think.....

..and I do agree that in retrospect a lot of time when guys say 'I'll run it by the boss'...its mostly tongue in cheek stuff.......(hopefully, lol)
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
^^ Dang Larry, are we long lost relatives we never knew about? You just pretty much described Mrs Stocker & me, right down to the 47 years....
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I support the "Jefferson State".

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #17
Killer Bee

can't relate..

I bought a K20 burb for $5500 and a K1500 burb for $4500..

Mrs. Bee sent me to paso robles with $20k to buy a better K20 burb that turned out had major issues

and Mrs. Bee told me to go to $25k on this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=bat+suburban

which went waaay beyond that and I was secretly glad, dropping big bucks on anything makes me queezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

We never ask permission of each other to do anything, but we discuss everything.

BINGO Larry! we're a little short on the marriage tenure though
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
can't relate..

and Mrs. Bee told me to go to $25k on this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=bat+suburban

which went waaay beyond that and I was secretly glad, dropping big bucks on anything makes me queezy

I'm glad she cut you off.

On the $40,750 Suburban I mean.

BINGO Larry! we're a little short on the marriage tenure though
You'll get there. As farmers in Lone Jack hopefully.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ive been catching up on a bunch of threads. One thing Ive noticed more than usual...

My wife let me buy this. My wife gave me the OK. My wife would never let me buy this but so and so convinced her. I asked my wife she said no. I asked my wife she said yes ... I dunno, just seems like a weird thing to say.

To me a married couple is a team, but it sounds like some of the fellas here need to look in someone's purse for some missing anatomy lol!

Our agreement here is I don't spend family money on my "projects" and I don't leave stuff laying out, so the place never takes on the aura of a junk yard lol. Heck, I wouldn't like that either.

And let me get this out of the way because I know its coming. Its better to ask for forgiveness instead of getting permission.
Agree 100%. I normally do discuss things with my wife before I spend big chunks of money or do crazy things, but she knows I NEVER will take from family or sacrifice them for my toys. But I do just do things at times.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-13-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #20
A1971Blazer

Nay.....Nay......I own a business...I work hard.....I give my wife a paycheck every week...If I want to spend $ANY amount...I do it....and she doesn't b**ch about it.

I might sometimes discuss it with her but the final decision is always mine......I do let her choose some things like furniture....etc...but I pay for it...

I just bought her new granite kitchen counter tops and..... some new furniture for the den...

She has a nice car and everything else she needs...... and most of what she wants.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Back that down to 10 years and that's where we're at. We each have a set of bills we pay, 15% goes into retirement, we each have a decent amount of backup in savings, and we both have access to each other's accounts. It's amazing what you can do/buy without car payments, zero CC debt, and living on the cheaper end for "extras" (like we have cheap android phones with a $20/mo phone plan).

Stuff for the house we always talk about together. As long as everything above is taken care of I buy whatever I want up to about 2K. Above that I might mention "my POS mustang needs a new motor" or whatever. She doesn't ever understand what I'm taking about anyway.

Jena used to make a lot more money than I did for years. This year I've gotten within 10% of her.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #22
72c20customcamper

Think most guys here are joking when they say stuff like that. I am for the most part a frugal person so is my girl. I came into this relationship with money and I'm retired. Have been for 10 years. She still works and she loves what she does. Tim (special-k) met her in Carlisle and we were talking about trucks and parts ,my girl said to him " He (meaning me) can get whatever he wants"

I've had two great women in the last 40 years. First one passed 7 years ago.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Yep Mark, I meant to send a follow up message after Carlisle. I intended to compliment you on a great find in a woman. I could tell that in the little time we spent interacting. It's nice to see a good "balance", which is what a relationship is all about... "balance". If it ain't mutual it ain't for me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Exactly. It’s a polite way to say “I came to my senses and am not buying your overpriced piece of crap”.
I think this happens a lot. I can't agree with leddzepp 100% on this one. (sorry scott)I think its more about people wanting to be the first in line or saying they had the opportunity to buy something with no intentions of following through. I think that is the main way to back out of a deal for whatever reason. Heck, half of them probably aren't even married...
On a related note, How many people back out of a deal because they didn't realize it costs money to ship something? Its either the wife won't let me or shipping is too much.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #25
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

^I will admit to having used my wife to not only get out of buying stuff, but also for doing things I didn't want to do.

Like Jena wants me to mow the lawn and get all the leaves up this weekend. In the 10 years we've owned our house she has never once had to ask me to mow the lawn, I love doing it, and chances are I was probably already done with the leaves.

Or, man, I can't make it, the wife is sick, it's a couples thing so I don't want to come alone...

Everyone does it, my friends with kids use their kids as the excuse all the time.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote