The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Ole Greenie

For those with Wood Beds....

For those with wood beds, I am wondering what you have done to rebuild or otherwise renew things out back. What I am looking to do is renew my bed while maintaing some functionality. I would like to use the truck for trips to and from Lowes.Home Depot, Sears, etc. I can't imagine owning a truck without using it!

So let us all know what you have done! Thanks!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
s_nova69

Re: For those with Wood Beds....

I have an ole longhorn that is really nice and original and I still use it to haul dirt and homedepot loot around so I know how ya feel. If there is just some wood broken through you could have a couple options.
1. replace all the wood and reuse the original strips and get new bolts (for easyness sake).
2. replace just the pieces that are broken and bolts as needed, to keep holes from dropping your homedepot loot on the road. (I have the dimension diagram for each piece for a wood floor somewhere, but there are threads that have that info in them here SOMEWHERE)
3. Get a ~16 Ga piece of metal to cover the rear of the bed where the holes are and it gets the most abuse. Just use some small bolts and washers to secure it after its cut. ( I have done this in the past to a 72 lwb and it worked great)

Just a few ideas for ya.
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post
I have an ole longhorn that is really nice and original and I still use it to haul dirt and homedepot loot around so I know how ya feel. If there is just some wood broken through you could have a couple options.
1. replace all the wood and reuse the original strips and get new bolts (for easyness sake).
2. replace just the pieces that are broken and bolts as needed, to keep holes from dropping your homedepot loot on the road. (I have the dimension diagram for each piece for a wood floor somewhere, but there are threads that have that info in them here SOMEWHERE)
3. Get a ~16 Ga piece of metal to cover the rear of the bed where the holes are and it gets the most abuse. Just use some small bolts and washers to secure it after its cut. ( I have done this in the past to a 72 lwb and it worked great)

Just a few ideas for ya.
Thanks, Phil for the ideas. For far too long, the rotting wood has been covered with a sheet of cut-to-fit 1/2" plywood. Now that I will be actively restoring the truck, I would like to perform a more comprehensive rebuild of the bed.

I need new strips as well as the angle strips too and all new hardware. Truck is not nor has never been in a salty environment but the bolts are being cut off by torch. There is just no other way!

I am thinking of cutting my own wood as I have all the necessary tools, rather than buying a wood kit. The 16 Ga piece is something I have not thought of either so I will look into adapting that idea into the rebuild. The idea I am have is really for those who like to have pretty wood beds for show but still retain some functionality.

My idea...
I have bought some Trex (TM) planks that are the right size. Trex is a great product because it will last for decades (or centuries!), comes in many colors and grain styles. It is ALOT more expensive than hardwoods but also harder than hardwoods and is tremendously more resistant to scuffing, denting and gouging. All this is great but the best part about using Trex is that I don't have to sand, stain and poly for days or even weeks. Just cut, plane, router and install.

I will give it a go and see how it all turns out. My truck will be the 'Guinea Pig' if you will. Once completed, I'll post some pitures. Since I am still in Iraq till October, I won't be able to post pics till then.

Again, thanks for the idea. Any and all input is welcome! God Bless!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
FL71C10

Ole Greenie,,

Did you ever finish installing the trex wood in your bed?

Last edited by FL71C10; 04-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.
FL71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
mbgmike

Never tried it on a truck bed wood floor but if you submerse new wood in clear glycol (like clear anti freeze-color is added) and heat it up while soaking, it will displace the water and prevent it from rotting. glycol never evaporates and will force all the water out. not sure about the finish coats and how it would react
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL71C10 View Post
Ole Greenie,,

Did you ever finish installing the trex wood in your bed?
Sure did. The Trex(R) looks pretty good but would look even better if textured boards were used. I used facia boards which had the same dimensions as the real wood beds. Here are a couple pictures...

If you plan on trying out the Trex boardsa new diamond or HD carbide bit is needed to router the grooves in the wood. I went through an old one I had and needed to buy a new bit which did a much better job. Heck that old bit was probably 15 years old so I needed a new one anyway. Trex is some pretty tough stuff and about twice as heavy as oak.
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
Thanks, Phil for the ideas. For far too long, the rotting wood has been covered with a sheet of cut-to-fit 1/2" plywood. Now that I will be actively restoring the truck, I would like to perform a more comprehensive rebuild of the bed.

I need new strips as well as the angle strips too and all new hardware. Truck is not nor has never been in a salty environment but the bolts are being cut off by torch. There is just no other way!

I am thinking of cutting my own wood as I have all the necessary tools, rather than buying a wood kit. The 16 Ga piece is something I have not thought of either so I will look into adapting that idea into the rebuild. The idea I am have is really for those who like to have pretty wood beds for show but still retain some functionality.

My idea...
I have bought some Trex (TM) planks that are the right size. Trex is a great product because it will last for decades (or centuries!), comes in many colors and grain styles. It is ALOT more expensive than hardwoods but also harder than hardwoods and is tremendously more resistant to scuffing, denting and gouging. All this is great but the best part about using Trex is that I don't have to sand, stain and poly for days or even weeks. Just cut, plane, router and install.

I will give it a go and see how it all turns out. My truck will be the 'Guinea Pig' if you will. Once completed, I'll post some pitures. Since I am still in Iraq till October, I won't be able to post pics till then.

Again, thanks for the idea. Any and all input is welcome! God Bless!
God Bless YOU. My nephew spent a few years in Iraq now he is in Afganistan
Never heard of Trex but will look in to it. Be interested in how it turms out
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
mbgmike

I was talking to a customer on the phone and you posted pics. Looks good for somebody wanting a durable floor w/o much maintenance
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
FL71C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greenie View Post
Sure did. The Trex(R) looks pretty good but would look even better if textured boards were used. I used facia boards which had the same dimensions as the real wood beds. Here are a couple pictures...

If you plan on trying out the Trex boardsa new diamond or HD carbide bit is needed to router the grooves in the wood. I went through an old one I had and needed to buy a new bit which did a much better job. Heck that old bit was probably 15 years old so I needed a new one anyway. Trex is some pretty tough stuff and about twice as heavy as oak.
I looked into it and couldn't find anything in the right thickness. So do those look like masonite since they are smooth?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

That looks great! Good job on that

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL71C10 View Post
I looked into it and couldn't find anything in the right thickness. So do those look like masonite since they are smooth?
If I remember correctly, Trex comes in the correct thickness which is 5/8 or 11/16 inch thick. Again my memory escapes me. But Trex does come in the correct thickness. Nope, not masonite. They are the synthetic Trex composite boards. It should come in .625, .75, and 1" thicknesses. Look here...

http://www.trex.com/plan/products/tr...iles/index.htm

They are considered trim or railing boards.
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E

Last edited by Ole Greenie; 04-25-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
dmack91

I am curious how it will handle the temperature changes. My neighbor used it on his deck. It does expand and contract with temp changes - almost as much as regular wood. Looks good though, and should outlast the rest of the truck.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
I am curious how it will handle the temperature changes. My neighbor used it on his deck. It does expand and contract with temp changes - almost as much as regular wood. Looks good though, and should outlast the rest of the truck.
I've had it on there for a few months now and really haven't noticed any expansion issues with the composite decking. You are right about it lasting. It should last quite a while...which is one of the benefits! Thanks!
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Ole Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
God Bless YOU. My nephew spent a few years in Iraq now he is in Afganistan
Never heard of Trex but will look in to it. Be interested in how it turms out
Thanks Mike. Every Soldier, Marine, Sailor and Airman likes the appreciation shown as a consequence of their service. I am priviledged to don this uniform and serve. I could always make more $ but there really is no comparison or substitute or anything more honorable.
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
BIGBLU 72

i replaced the wood in my bed in one weekend. hardest part was getting the old bolts out. I went with 30 year old Walnut for the look but according to my grandfather (he cut down the walnut tree my boards came from in 1980 lol) that ill never hurt it just scratch the finish! id go with real wood