The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
flomofo

Possible project...Help in the Search!

I have been continuously looking for a runner I could keep from rusting away and use around the house to make long trips to the furniture store or home center as we fill up a new house with junk.

I have been trying to find a longbed either 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton but have also been trying to find something more "collectable" or rare within those requirements.

I realize its not a short bed Super Cheyenne but the search for something reasonably priced and not rusty in my area has been somewhat hard even with all the good options here in the valley(CA). Shopping is sometimes more fun than buying so heres a finalist I actually found at the beginning of my search.

Just looking for opinions blunt or otherwise, but here she is. And sorry but the cell phone pics I have are random becuase I thought it was way too dark for them to come out anyway when I took them...

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/2350514731.html

Tried to catch the bottom of the door, hard for me to believe it had no rust there beyond possibly some surface "character".

Anybody know what the 4 speed does RPM wise at freeway speeds? Been trying to search that answer out on the board for over an hour.

The low/no cancer is the main interest in this truck since everything needs attention, plus a tricky dent on the metal surrounding one taillight and the hood plus the tailgate has been stolen.

Last edited by flomofo; 05-18-2011 at 03:14 PM.
flomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
flomofo

Re: Possible project...Help in the Search!

I should add that I want to have or add A/C and prefer as stock a truck as I can find which might get modified but not cut or altered in a way that the truck can't be brought back to factory stock or at least the condition I found it in.

Ultimately it would be nice to use this thing as a truck while still having something nice to look at since the more practical/completely utilitarian option is a 90 something fuel injected v6 longbed... blahh

Last edited by flomofo; 05-18-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: Possible project...Help in the Search!

My one suggestion for ya is If you buy this truck GO to WWW.truckandcarshop.com and buy the hole factory Re-pop wire harness from H-M wiring it will cost you about 790.00 But that fire trap of wire harness is not the way to go .My best bet is Buy the 1972 wire harness because of all the newer options.and in 1972 was the last year they made these trucks And buy the one that offers the HEI harness kit.See if your truck is a 1967--70 truck it will not have extra options that the 1971 and 72 And if you want to update the fuse panel with the new fuses you can do that as well the4 Alternator bracket on your 396 or 402 is wrong And if you want A/C you will need to buy a dash that had A/C and unbolt and undo a few spot welds best off to take the window out the front one but from other then that you have a real find but buy the power brake booster bracket and booster and install it Nothing better then having power brakes Send me a email I'm in Calif Moreno valley area i can help ya i have 12 trucks that i love from 1964--72
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
m6z

I'd give 1500 for as many of those as you can find. Looks like a good buy

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Shyguy

Looks like a real good buy to me. Big blocks were kind of rare back in '67.

You should not have a problem moving down the highway at a pretty good speed, but since a 3/4 ton has lower rear-end gears than a 1/2 ton the mileage will not be as good.

I had a '72 3/4 ton GMC with a 350 and 4 speed and normally got right at 10 mpg.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Quote:
Big blocks were kind of rare back in '67.
Actualy they were nonexistant. Big Blocks were not an available for trucks untill 1968. However that does look to be a prety good deal. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
dmack91

Can't tell really well by the small pic, but it looks like the pass fender has a reflector in it, so it could be a 68.

1500 for a running/driving/straight truck, especially a big block, sounds reasonable from here.

Good luck with it.

BTW, while not a big block, I have a 68 C20 with a SB400 and TH400, and it gets 10mpg just putting around town.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Classic Heartbeat

Too many other signs that it is a 67 besides the add stating it is. If the reflector is GM it is mounted verticly instead of horrizontaly and located in the wrong place. The ignition switch bezel is also 67 only. Take a look at the alternator. It is on the wrong side of the motor. The color blue of the valve covers is later model. I would be willing to bet it has a long waterpump. Thse trucks all had short waterpumps. It is definetly a 67 with a transplanted (probably 454) under the hood. Again, not that it is a bad thing as long as it was done right. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
flomofo

Completely forgot about the motor, I think they only came with 327's the first year?

Liked this one other than the swapped in motor too...

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/2377576810.html

I'll probably check on the motor again but what year did they use blue valve covers on a 396? I thought blue ones were way later and already 454's?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Classic Heartbeat

I am not possitive but I believe the transition to blue was 1977. WES
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
flomofo

I don't want to make a new thread for this one either, but I thought I just gave up on this one yesterday and now its back on my radar again as well lol.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...389743055.html

I was going to have someone check it out for me, but apparently the guy sounded a little shady and the truck is located in a sketchy part of town. I finally talked to the guy a little longer because he actually speaks Spanish better than English so I had a more "legit" sounding conversation this time.

I'm back to seeing if a 5 hour drive is something I'm willing to do just to look at it. Not sure if its just a good value because its a less desirable 3/4 ton longbed but almost seems too good to be true. I'm paranoid the two year old paintjob is hiding a bunch of kitty hair patches over rust or something.

If someone lives near there, I'm willing to pay for a forum member inspection.

Or if you guys can recommend a shop near there I can trust to do a real inspection as I'm ready with cash in hand if this one checks out since this truck is still my top choice after a lot of searching...

Equivalent for comparison? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...388875358.html

Last edited by flomofo; 05-19-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #12
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Looks like an awesome, mean ass beast to me. Go get it if youre not set on a 1/2 ton. If that ones not worth fifteen, I dont know what is. Id go get it now if I was looking for a project. Go down there with a trailer and tell the guy u got $1200 in your pocket. I'll bet u leave with it for $1300. Good luck, Tim

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Oh, and the '71 is an obvious quick repaint(Looks like **** when u dont do the whole truck, too). Cant tell, but it isnt gonna be as good as it looks in those limited pics. Take the '67, you'll have another $2 grand to do it right.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
flomofo

I'm open to any cool truck except for stepsides, the bed is just too small.

I'll call that guy and get some more details, my new house has a two car garage that gets two cars parked in it. I don't even use my reloading equipment anymore becuase of the room issue.

So until I get a pole barn or at least a covered car port built this truck will only have enough done to it to be a work truck. Because the little experience I have paying a dealer to do work on a car has always left my wallet ripped open and in the gutter lol.

If I pick it up you guys think a truck cover will be good enough to keep it from rotting away till I get something more permanent probably next summer?

I've always had enough garage space to keep my cars in good condition but these new houses are built like rat cages
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
flomofo

I called the seller back and got a little more.

The fender reflectors were added on but are likely stuck on with tape so hopefully no holes to fix.

The motor he said has been in there since his mom was a kid and was around when it was originally bought. She said it always had a big block as far back as she can remember so that leads me to next question:

I want to check the vin and serial numbers on the body and engine but since it was in the 60's wondering if late 67's could have gotten that motor or if it had been a dealer order kind of thing.

Although the blue painted Valve covers still throw me off.

I'll start a build a thread if I get it, but it will be a runner that gets rebuilt and stored in the driveway over time
Posted via Mobile Device