The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Todd68Chevy

Anybody running SBC with 3 dueces?

I am install a 3 deuce set up on my 283 in my 68 C10. I ran this set up 15 years ago and removed it because the worn out carbs were sticking. I bought 3 redone carbs and have it all installed but can not get the fuel lines to stop leaking. I used a cheap chrome block before and made metal lines out of brake tubing and it worked nice and looked good. Neadless to say the lines got cut up, fuel block looks like crap so I decided to buy and nice cast aluminum one and make new lines. I can not get them to seal up. As soon as on line is sealed another one starts leaking.

Now I am looking for other options. What are you running for a fuel block and how do you have you lines ran? Let me know my options.

Thanks for your help and if this is not in the right area feel free to move it. Thanks
Attached Images

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Anybody running SBC with 3 dueces?

I know two guys from here bought the parts from us to do it. Where are they leaking? at the block or the carb?

Last edited by mbgmike; 05-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
bruceman1968

Todd, I ran a six-pac back in the seventies. I had a metering block with 1 inlet and 3 outlets mounted on the firewall and 3 hoses ran, one to each carb.
I just used regular hose clamps and no leaks. And it did look like crap Have you seen this website? I have no affiliation. http://www.vintagespeed.com/

Last edited by bruceman1968; 05-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
mbgmike

I just suspect incorrect fittings on the hose. I am sure its a simple fix. Not much to it really
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Todd68Chevy

I am sorry I do not have a picture of my line set up. I will take one and get it posted later today. I have a cast aluminum fuel block on the passenger side of the middle carb. The lines just go from there to the carbs. Metal flared lines on both ends. I have not had a problem at the carbs. My problem is at the New Edelbrock fuel block. At all 4 connections I have to have an adapter between the pipe thread and flared line. The leak is either between the line and the fitting or the fitting and the block. I have tried useing thread tape and thread paste. When one fitting stops another one starts leaking. I think I have a problem with the block and would like to know what other blocks or rails are offered. I will check out the web sites and see what they offer. Thanks

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
mbgmike

I would return it if its bad. I know Aeroquip and Earls make a 3 way Y style block. Moon,Mr gasket also make straight blocks but I can't see how Edelbrocks would be much different. must have gotten a bad one? Try that site that was mentioned above.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Look inside the fuel block outlet holes.It may be that they are for a flare of a different type than you are using.Flare fittings are kind of finiky that way.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
I would return it if its bad. I know Aeroquip and Earls make a 3 way Y style block. Moon,Mr gasket also make straight blocks but I can't see how Edelbrocks would be much different. must have gotten a bad one? Try that site that was mentioned above.
The block having a problem is what I am thinking and that is why I thought I would see what other members were using and changing the whole thing. I like the looks of some of them on the vintage speed web site. Mike do you guys offer a kit that has the block and the lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Look inside the fuel block outlet holes.It may be that they are for a flare of a different type than you are using.Flare fittings are kind of finiky that way.
The block has pipe thread holes in it so I have to put adapters in it to the flare fittings. That is what I am fighting is the seal between the adapters and the block and the lines to the adapters. Once I get one to stop another one is leaking. If I could find a block with the flares in it that would cut my connections in half.

Here is a picture of what I have now. I had solid lines from the block to the carbs and thought they might be in a bind so I cut them and placed sections of rubber hose. Looks horrible but if I can get it to work then I can be driving the truck while I find something better. I resealed everything with pipe paste and letting it sit and dry for now. I am going to try it tomorrow night. If it still leaks I am going to reinstall the cheap chrome block I have and see what it does.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
mbgmike

only thing we sell is this,
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
m6z

Are there any carbs other then the stromberg 97's that will work on this style intake? I've alway wanted to run one of these setups but the cost of the carbs seems outrageous. Any cheaper and easier to find alternitives?

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....

Last edited by m6z; 05-31-2011 at 07:54 PM.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Red68

Here is a photo of a setup I saw at a show a couple weeks ago. Not sure of the engine size but it was a small block in a 48 chevy truck.
Attached Images

1949 1/2 tn, needs complete restore (future project)
1969 Chevy impala 4 dr no post (wifes future car)
2010 GMC Serria 4x4 crew, leveling kit
Red68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red68 View Post
Here is a photo of a setup I saw at a show a couple weeks ago. Not sure of the engine size but it was a small block in a 48 chevy truck.
Damn, those plastic lines frighten me. Just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6z View Post
Are there any carbs other then the stromberg 97's that will work on this style intake? I've alway wanted to run one of these setups but the cost of the carbs seems outrageous. Any cheaper and easier to find alternitives?
Yes there are. Off hand can't remember whose.

Last edited by mbgmike; 05-31-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
only thing we sell is this,
Thanks, I will keep it in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6z View Post
I am not running the Strombergs. Mine are Rochester 2 barrel. I was going to get my dad's set from the 70's redone and ended up buy 3 reconditioned ones from http://www.chevytripower.com/ Ron seems like a really nice guy and I felt he treated me good on the carbs but I guess I should have bought his fuel lines also. He sells completes set up with new Offenhouser intake, 3 carbs, linkage, fuel lines and aircleaners for I think $1,100.00 or he will sell any piece of it. I had the intake and linkage so I only bought the carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red68 View Post
I actually thought they outlawed the red lines but maybe someone makes a new version of them. I have seen guys put the red line over the top of steel so it looks like the plastic but is safe. Looks like a nice set up.

I tried mine again and I still have a leak now at another fitting. I hate to but I might use rubber just to get it going until I can get something else. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Todd68Chevy

Ok I took off the metal lines and ran all rubber hose from the block to the carbs. Fired it up and no leaks seen, started filling the coolant and was running and checking things. Then I noticed the front carb is leaking. I am almost ready to pull the intake and reinstall the 4 barrel. I am going to the Hot Rod reunion in Bowling Green Ky. in a week and half and I want to drive my truck.