The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #151
clemdaddy

Re: CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

glad to see the recent posts...you're back, craigger. looking good over at your shop and some nice project progress also. keep'er going buddy...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #152
CRGRS 66

The bolt pattern on the back of the booster is 3-3/8" x 3-3/8", I will take a reading on using the brackets that came with the booster. Captain, I will let you know and make one order when I decide. I have a T5 with floor a shifter, no issues there.

Well, here I am on page 7... don't feel like I have accomplished much, but moving ahead slowly. Found a guy who does sandblasting for cheap (he has a 72 C10, so the price kinda came down the more we talked), at any rate, dropping off my front cross member and lower control arms to him tomorrow. The lower control arms fit in my booth, but it is a b*tch moving them around and I just can't get at some areas.

Hey, I want to paint the MC reservoir and lid, what paint will stand up to brake fluid?

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709

Last edited by CRGRS 66; 02-19-2013 at 01:52 PM.
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #153
CRGRS 66

OK, that didn't take long, non of the holes line up. Captain, could you please PM me the total amount for the PS bracket, flange and sleeve, and booster bracket?
Thanks!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #154
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Glad to see some progress Craigerr, my progress is halted due to a business location move. Can't wait to get back on mine. Gauge cluster is Awesome, keep up the great work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! Look forward to your updates when you get back on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I wonder if CPP sources those from Master Power Brakes. Yours looks just like the one I've had on my truck for a number of years, except I mounted the proportioning valve separately. That size booster makes the pedal pressure comfortable without making the brakes overly sensitive.
There are no markings whatsoever on the booster or brackets. The MC has CPP cast into it, so they either cast it themselves, or have it cast specifically for them. I hope the brakes end up as you describe... effective, but not touchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
glad to see the recent posts...you're back, craigger. looking good over at your shop and some nice project progress also. keep'er going buddy...
Thanks Clem, wish I had the time and resources to fly through my build the way you did with razor back red!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #155
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yep, just like I said. Those brackets are just universal brackets and you have to drill holes to bolt them to the firewall. I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
OK, that didn't take long, non of the holes line up. Captain, could you please PM me the total amount for the PS bracket, flange and sleeve, and booster bracket?
Thanks!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #156
flips72

i feel your pain buddy, thats the kind of luck i have.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #157
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i feel your pain buddy, thats the kind of luck i have.
No pain at all, I look at it every day, and every day it makes me smile

Okay, have been making a bit of progress, tore out the wiring harness, inside heater components, brake/clutch pedal bracket, etc. Only one bolt left in the firewall that I need a another pair of hands on the other side to remove, then I can clean up and paint the firewall. Just about ready to put some POR15 on the frame (bab forward anyway), and dropped off front cross member and lower control arms to a new buddy to sandblast. Dang cold out there tonight, but an hour here, and an hour there is better than no progress at all. Hope to be ready to put the cross member back on by the end of the weekend, and start building the suspension back up. Must sign off now, and send the captain some $$$

Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #158
CRGRS 66

found a 73-74 malibou with a small block in it, can anyone tell me if the power steering pump brackets will work with my standard crank and water pump pulley?
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #159
CRGRS 66

also found a 66 long fleet, scavenged the firewall heater delete plate, and the washer fluid jar bracket, may go back for a couple other bits and pieces if I go back for the power steering pump goods from the malibou (same yard)
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #160
flips72

if your running a long water pump it will work, but not with a short one. thats a long water pump set-up in the picture.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #161
MARTYZ

Like Flip says as long as you have same water pump it will work, if you get it get all the pulleys too just to be sure, the hoses may be a bit short though being from a car with box mounted inside the frame.
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #162
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
also found a 66 long fleet, scavenged the firewall heater delete plate, and the washer fluid jar bracket, may go back for a couple other bits and pieces if I go back for the power steering pump goods from the malibou (same yard)
If you go back to the yard you might also want to check for windshield washer nozzles. They are easily overlooked, but valuable if you want a pair and don’t have any. They are shown in the upper left corner below:

Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #163
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

X3 on the PS pump being for a long water pump. To expand on that some, you will also need heads with the accessory holes to correctly mount that pump and brackets.

All trucks '72 and earlier originally were equipped with short water pumps.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #164
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
If you go back to the yard you might also want to check for windshield washer nozzles. They are easily overlooked, but valuable if you want a pair and don’t have any. They are shown in the upper left corner below:
Thanks Mark, I actually have the nozzles, pump etc., the jar and bracket were not present when I bought the truck. The bracket I got was the one fastened to the rad support by the horn, and horn relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
X3 on the PS pump being for a long water pump. To expand on that some, you will also need heads with the accessory holes to correctly mount that pump and brackets.

All trucks '72 and earlier originally were equipped with short water pumps.
okay, so this is where I am struggling a bit on the PS. I have the GM 350 crate engine (73-85), and I have a short water pump. Hoses are the least of my worries, I make and sell custom hoses for a living. There is precious little in the yards in southern ontario in the way of 80s vehicles, nevermind 70s... 60s, forget about it. That 66 truck above is the only 60s vehicle I have seen in a yard around here. If they cant make a buck in a short period of time they crush em.

I see that brothers has a bracket kit http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=PSPB766
expensive though, $59.99, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Has anyone used this bracket?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #165
spudder

If you are going to use a short water pump, try to find a power steering pump setup from the following vehicles: '64-'67 truck, '68-'72 truck, '65-68 full size passenger car, or '64-68 Chevelle. All of these used a short water pump. Be sure to get all the brackets and pulleys.
I'm sure that trying to find parts cars in your area is difficult. I'd place an ad on Craigslist and a local area trading paper.
spudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #166
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudder View Post
If you are going to use a short water pump, try to find a power steering pump setup from the following vehicles: '64-'67 truck, '68-'72 truck, '65-68 full size passenger car, or '64-68 Chevelle. All of these used a short water pump. Be sure to get all the brackets and pulleys.
I'm sure that trying to find parts cars in your area is difficult. I'd place an ad on Craigslist and a local area trading paper.
Thanks spudder, I will post on Craigslist, and kijiji, and say a prayer

Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #167
CRGRS 66

Okay, this thread is going to be going in a bit of a different direction. My plan was to make the upgrades I had planned for this winter and get it back on the road in the spring or early summer. I have now decided to get the bed and the cab off and get the frame blasted and painted. This in itself is not that difficult to do, but will undoubtedly delay getting back to driving it. I still hope to get back behind the wheel by the fall.

This is what Alan had to say at the top of page #2:
"Ok, I'm here and tuned in. Sounds like a great plan, let's see what snowballs once you get started..."
Thanks Alan!

I have a lot of other stuff done already suspension wise so I should end up with a rolling chassis fairly quickly. The bright side is that I have my weekends and evenings all planned out for the summer now

Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #168
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That bracket that Brothers has pictured is for an '59 and earlier installation that uses the front motor mounts.

I would also check the '67-'72 classifieds here on the forum. There was a pump and bracket in the '60-'66 classifieds that sold just this past week. I have seen them on ebay as well.

Another place to check is http://www.alangrovecomponents.com they make some real nice aftermarket brackets.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #169
CRGRS 66

Great weekend to be out working on the truck!!!!!! It got up to about 11 or 12 Canadian degrees yesterday, which is approximately 52 American degrees.

With a little help on Friday evening I got the bed off, then the evening turned to the quaffing of Ales.

My daughter came and helped me on Saturday, off with the wheels, and rear bumper. Started mocking up the porterbuilt trac bar, and shock relocate brackets. On my own Sunday finished mocking up above mentioned, and mocked up the rear sway bar. Then off with all of that along with all of the rear suspension. Just a couple nuisance items to remove at the back end, brake line connections, support for the dif vent hose, and a ground wire connection.

Should have the cab and frame separated next weekend, then I can send out the frame and trailing arms for blasting and painting. I say separate as you will see when I get to it, I will not actually be lifting the cab, but lowering the frame away from it.

It felt so good to have some serious time to spend wrenching, grinding, and BFH'ing!

Still need to remove passenger door, and fuel tank. Hope to do that one night this week.

Note my liquid reward on the pass side frame rail..... ahhhhhh
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #170
CRGRS 66

Oh, I forgot. After about the hottest most wonderful shower in the history of hot showers, I donned my favorite tee shirt, and chilled
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #171
oldtrux

Hey graigerr,you know about bills truck shop out oshawa way right,check website,tons of parts
Posted via Mobile Device
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #172
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrux View Post
Hey graigerr,you know about bills truck shop out oshawa way right,check website,tons of parts
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes i do, thanks, I find his prices to be very high. I emailed him last week to see if he wanted to give pricing on a list i have, he replied and asked me to send the list. I sent him the list...no reply to date. I would like to buy from him, but i gotta watch my $$$. Did you get your 283 done, and get some miles on yours last year?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #173
oldtrux

Oh,never bought anything from them,good to know.yes 283 is built t5 is built,no miles yet,long way to go when you completley strip them down,gotta watch my $$$ too!one day i hope!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #174
flips72

looking good,now cmes the ugly part ..cleaning
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #175
CRGRS 66

One step closer to the nasty cleaning part of things. Came home from work a little early today removed the passenger door, removed the cab bolts, and removed the cab. A little tricky on my own (never done this before you know), between jack stands, paving stones, floor jack, and an engine hoist, got er done in about an hour. The big steel cart is an item that was taking up space at work, and they wanted to get rid of it.... I thought to myself "self, your cab will fit on that thing and you can move it around the garage with the greates of ease"!
Some minor adjustments to make to the frame, remove all the bits and pieces from the diff, and need to get the bushings out of the trailing arms, then they all go off to the blaster, who will also paint them with my POR15.
Then the wire wheel on the DA to the firewall, underside, and inside of the cab.
fun, fun, fun
Attached Images