The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Bluegoose972

Blazer Body Weight

I have the body unbolted and ready to be removed from my blazer, to help with the frame down rebuild. Does anyone know how much this body weighs? My original plan was to have a total of six (6) guys assist in picking the blazer off the frame and setting it on the ground. But even after freeing up everything attached to the body, trying to pick up one corner proved to me that these will need to be very strong guys! LOL Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the body that will not result in someone hurting their backs or the use of a crane?
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
meathead95
computer illiterate

board member alexis has done this pm him
Old 12-10-2003, 12:37 AM   #3
Gary 70 Jimmy

let see if I can write this out. First thing you do not take the doors off it will help hold the the body together. Then cut 2 2X4 long enough to go across the bed drill holes in them on the ends mach the holes up to the bolt holes for the top and bolt one in the frount and back of the bed to help hold it together. Get 2 real long I bolts and bolt them in the 2 cab mount holes in the frount.Then get 2 more I bolts (7/16 I think) and they should go right into the nuts were the seat belts bolts were on the bed edge. Then get 2 log chains and a hoist. Hook chains from the frount I bolt to the back I bolt then loop both chains over the hoist hook. Make sure you take the steering column out. This will hold most of the weight you can put a hoist on back or put a comealong from the hoist hook in the frount to the 2X4 in back and pull it tight. Or you can have one person pick up on the back when you hoist it up. I took mine off with one person helping me. Dont let the back come down to fare if the body is rusted it mite crack at the back of the doors or across the back of the cab floor. I hope this helps.
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Bluegoose972

Thanks for the assistance guys. Going to try and get the body off this weekend. Wish me luck!
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I would think 4 strong guys could do it. I managed one around the yard by myself, even took it out of the trailer by myself.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:38 AM   #6
Alexis
Member since 2000

6 poeple shoudl do it. I did it by my self....well with a engine hoist and alot of balls really. i setup my dolly so i could slide it under. Wasn't easy and should have probably hired some day workers to come over and spend 30mins instead of a day or 2.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote