The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Larry S

Change chassis/ transplant/ or new parts???

Hello folks. I hope all are well. I have a 1969 c10 that my grandpa bought new. Several family members owned it after his death in 1984. I ended up with it in about 1998. I'm not going to sell it. I disassembled it in in about 04. My question is... its 1969 with 6 lugs drum brakes and I have a nice 1972 5 lug disc chassis. Should I just use the entire 72 chassis for my build? Or transplant the 5 front end parts and 5 lug 373 gear rear end to the 1969 frame? Or should I buy new front end parts and swap rear ends from the 1972 to the 1969?
What's my best option?
Thanks in advance.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Change chassis/ transplant/ or new parts???

its all a matter of opinion but if youre making this truck a lasting tribute to your grandpa, id keep it all original just restore whats there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
65 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
its all a matter of opinion but if youre making this truck a lasting tribute to your grandpa, id keep it all original just restore whats there
I have to agree.
65 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Change chassis/ transplant/ or new parts???

It really depends on what your plan for it is. Are you gonna drive it on a regular basis are is it gonna be a show truck that hardly ever see road time?

If your gonna be driving it. Put the truck on the 71 frame and call it good. You will have the truck which is what you want anyway and the added safety of better brakes.

If your going for a 100% correct show and sentimental value build, then keep it all as is now and just have it rebuilt.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
truckster

Unless you want it to be a concourse 100% correct truck, I'd go with the 72 chassis as well. I don't think Grandpa would mind; he might even smile down on your efforts.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #6
Larry S

Its definitely not going to be an original truck. My grandfather was somewhat of a modifier and improvisor.. I was 12 years old when he passed and am 45 now, but we found and are still finding things he modified or fabricated when he was here. I have a 2007 6.0 vortec that I plan to rebuild and put into it. I'm trying to sell a lot of stuff that I have sitting around to help fund the rebuild, fuel system, wiring/ ecm and transmission. My short term goal is just to get it all in primer and running. This would be my first swap of this nature and I plan to do it with my 11 year old son. It will be a learning experience I'm sure. All I have for the 6.0 is the engine and intake.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

How disassembled is it? I'd put the 5-lug stuff under the original frame, just because you will keep the frame original to the truck. Will you keep stock brakes in the end? If planning to change that stuff I'd leave it 6-lug and do the brake upgrade in 6-lug.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Change chassis/ transplant/ or new parts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Its definitely not going to be an original truck. My grandfather was somewhat of a modifier and improvisor.. I was 12 years old when he passed and am 45 now, but we found and are still finding things he modified or fabricated when he was here. I have a 2007 6.0 vortec that I plan to rebuild and put into it. I'm trying to sell a lot of stuff that I have sitting around to help fund the rebuild, fuel system, wiring/ ecm and transmission. My short term goal is just to get it all in primer and running. This would be my first swap of this nature and I plan to do it with my 11 year old son. It will be a learning experience I'm sure. All I have for the 6.0 is the engine and intake.

Per this, Go with the 71 frame and your way a head of the game. More wheel choices and you have the disc brakes and drums already there no need to swap it all over to the old frame.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I 100 percent agree with special-K. Use the five lug stuff on your 69 chassis. That way there will never be any problem with titling, transferring, or anything along the line that might happen long after you are gone. Frame and cab matching is a good thing. Glove box spid is a plus if it matches too.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

I would transplant the 5 front end parts and 5 lug 373 gear rear end to the 1969 frame?

Nothing like gettting into something that takes way to long to finish .. this is the quick way and like what advice you got up above ^^^^ .. title will match the Vin numbers on the frame .