The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
hughnews1

8 lug conversion anybody ?

hello from Hugh in Fairport ny ... think Erie canal... ummmm I just looking to buy a '71 c-20 from AZ ( yup ) here in NY ... of course its 8 lug now ... has anybody done anyting with these ? I hve 4 new Crager in the boxs from my '69 c-10 (6 lugs ) Rust never sleeps .. so I think i will BUY the AZ any ideas out there ?
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 03:13 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have a 69 longhorn converted to 5 lug 1/2 ton. You can do the same conversion to 6 lug using the earlier 1/2 ton parts. if you want disc brakes, aftermarket 6 lug rotors are available for the 71-72 spindles, & lowering the 1/2 ton is also much cheaper than the 3/4(if you are into that). here is a "c 20" longhorn with a few mods.... http://community.webshots.com/user/hotrodhorn
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Check with your local inspection station before getting any parts...this is a big no-no in many states. There are quite a few real good lookign rims out there for an 8 lug truck. Just look in the off road mags. Plenty on the tire pages in there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:33 AM   #4
crazy longhorn

Thats a good point Longhorn, some of the states are pretty "stinky" on inspections. illinois doesnt bother inspecting trucks anymore.....unless they are for commercial use. Im not sure that no inspection is good,as we have seen old farm trucks on the roads that should be left in the field since they dropped the inspection......sorta scarey to think about something with no brakes ,bad front end,& bald tires on the road.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:35 AM   #5
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

swapping rear axle out and front suspension assembly out for 1/2 ton units is really your only true choice in order to get 5 or 6 lug truck. almost better off in your case to find a rolling 1/2 ton chassis and put your cab box and clip on it
i have seen 14 bolt FF 3/4 and 1 ton axle converted to 6 lug believe it or not, info found at coloradok5.com
i have a couple pics of it its interesting to see it with full floating hubs and 6 lug wheels! learning ans eeeing new interesting things is cool
whether this could be somehow done to dana 60 and eaton 3/4 and 1 ton axles i dont know, probably possible if someone takes the time to be creative.

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:21 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Yeah Al, i know what your talkin bout. We don't have an inspection here either...which is a good thing I guess....the GMC would never see the light of day. I'd have two trucks with tarps on them out back.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:48 AM   #7
crazy longhorn

I had a 67 that I sweated inspection time on.....mostly electrical, it had a cobbled harness. That & worried about pcs of the box falling off! My 71 was a favorite, it had about 300,000 on it when I got it. After a front end rebuild,brake ,clutch & a fresh sb....I drove that old truck till it was too rusty to fix. At that point it became an "organ donor" for the old longhorn!