The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 AM   #1
RobinHood

Re: 1957 Chevy 3600 Mild Custom Build

Little update on this truck for anyone interested.
It took me about 6 months to get insurance on it for me to be able to drive it. As a 21 year old in California, it seemed like it would be impossible to get insured to drive it in any capacity. I went through about 18 insurance companies and finally was able to get coverage for a surprisingly very low rate. I have been driving the truck for about 3 months and it has been great. There are definitely a lot of things I would change now that I have it on the road, unfortunately that will have to wait until I get my own space to tear it apart and work on it again.

I kept having insane cooling problems and finally realized that my radiator just had about no flow whatsoever. I found a very nice Ron Davis radiator setup with 2 15" Spal electric fans for only $70. It barely fits within the width of the inner fenders but i was able to get it installed and wired it up to a double relay switch. I had a thermostat sensor wired to it at the start, but it seemed spotty at best and i didnt want to risk blowing the heads off so i have it currently wired to a manual switch in the cab. With the fans off almost all the time i am driving, the temp stays right at 180* per the thermostat in the intake. If i pull up to a stoplight, i flip the fans on and the setup will drop the temp to the bottom of the gauge if i leave them on. Slight hassle to work the switch, but i would rather have a cool engine.

I did install 2 seatbelts on the bench seat because i found it was impossible to take any sort of corner pretty quick without sliding across the seat. It handles surprisingly well with the camaro suspension. I drilled holes in the back of the cab floor and anchored them with the included hardware.

I definitely see alot of things i will change on the truck in the future, but it has been great being able to drive it and get tons of looks from older guys who cant believe that it is my truck.

I have seen quite a few other trucks, and I realized that while my truck isnt nearly as nice, i started with a truck that had so much rust that nobody else wouldve taken it on as a project. Either way, i know that it is solid now and definitely will rebuild it again in the future.
Attached Images

RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote