The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Adding Accessories 12v port

I'm wanting to add a dual 5amp usb port in the rear of my center console. It'll be hidden behind the rear climate control and AV controls cover on my 2012 Yukon XL Denali. The goal is to power a usb powered wireless charger, I installed in the console lid, and a roku.

The question I have is where would be the best place to tap into a power source? I have some add a fuses and I've used them in the past for similar installs in my suburbans, but I don't really see an under the dash fuse panel that's easy to tie into. Should I go to the one in the engine bay? I do know there is a fuse block of sorts under dash, but I can't figure out a place to tie in yet. I've pulled a plug out that lets the cover come off, but I don't see fuses....am I missing something?

Any problem with what I'm planning?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: Adding Accessories 12v port

maybe i should add, I'd like this to be a circuit that is on ONLY when vehicle is on. Switched on and not running is fine.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I would think the best way would be tap off the current accessory port wiring. I can't remember if mine were switched or unswitched ports in my truck. I tend to remember them being switched so, I needed the key to have power

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I would think the best way would be tap off the current accessory port wiring. I can't remember if mine were switched or unswitched ports in my truck. I tend to remember them being switched so, I needed the key to have power
The accessory in mine are always on. I think I'm just going to use an add-a-circuit off the 15amp radio fuse. That was if the radio is on, this is on. Radio goes off a few minutes after truck shuts off or when driver door is opened with the key out of ignition.

I was hoping there was a place under the dash but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
vitamin_c95

What year Denali? My 08 tahoe has a fuse box near the pedals I powered my dash camera from
Old 03-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamin_c95 View Post
What year Denali? My 08 tahoe has a fuse box near the pedals I powered my dash camera from
It's a 2012. I did find one on side of dash. Not sure how I missed before but for now I've tapped into that, they all seem always on though. There is a panel of sorts by pedals, and I have instructions on how to create a relay controlled circuit tapping into that. Might try it. I've read there are some, not always on fuses in engine bay, haven't gone looking again. Not sure I want to tap into just any circuit, but maybe it doesn't matter.