The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

2014 silverado, water leak into the cab?

I have an 2014 silverado 1500 double cab. Low miles (32,000), that has a water leak into the interior. I have sprayed it down, all over the windsheild, & around the door seals, but can not find it? The thing likes to drip the water off the parking brake peddle & onto the mat (dr side). Anybody have ideas? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Prong

Re: 2014 silverado, water leak into the cab?

Check around the "shark fin" antenna on top of the cab. They sometimes will leak through there.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
crazy longhorn

Thanks Prong....I will check that! Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
gmc 2500 4x4

my rear cab lite had to be resealed as it leaked into headliner, maybe its leaking there and channeling it down the front pillar into cowl? (2014 gmc)
gmc 2500 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
crazy longhorn

Another good thought to check out Its been too cold here (the water will freeze,before it leaks)! Thanks for the info....longhorn
Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
406flyfish

X2 on the shark fin antenna, I’ve seen tons of them leak. Usually does down the a pillar into the dash. It’s simple enough to remove and reseal it with some weather strip adhesive.
406flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
TKCR

Waterleaks are hard to chase down. I work in an auto manufacturing plant (not GM), and finding & repairing waterleaks was a job I did for quite a few years. Where I work, we waterleak test & check every unit we build. Not all plants do this. They only check 1 unit out of every "so many". This is how leaks get out to the customer.
Can you give more of a back story on the truck? Have you had the truck since it was new? If so, was the leak happening then?
Does the leak only happen on really hard rains or any type of rainy day?
I know its not the best time of year to do this, maybe wait until next spring/summer. I would take the truck to a car wash, one where it can just sit while the water is running over the whole truck, at least the cab. Now comes the fun part. You need to try and lay down there on the floor with a flashlight, so you can see up and and possibly get and idea where the leak is running from. If you see the leak, try and trace it up to where it may start. You may see something and then you may not, but its worth a shot. This is the method we did, when the leak was coming from under the dash. We would put the car in the booth and lay on the floor the best we could. Then wait for the leak to happen and get an idea how far up the water was coming in at. You may have to remove some of the lower dash covers, to make it easier to see up in there. If your able to get an idea on where it maybe coming from, then you can take it home and start using the hose on specific areas.

Some other possible causes, it could be a grommet/blind plug missing. This is a common issue at the plant. On the assembly line, people forget to install their plugs. Check the door harness boot to the body, this is another common area. The boot isn't set completely, so water gets thru. I have personally had 2 Chevy trucks now, where the door boot has not been set correctly. A new, at that time, 2007 Chevy Avalanche. And then a used 2006 Chevy Colorado. The Colorado had been wreaked and a new door was put on the truck, the door boot was never set. This would be another back story question on your truck. Has there been any work done on the truck? Maybe something wasnt put back together correctly, causing a waterleak.

Don't try and do this on a day where you are on a time limit. Chasing a waterleak can be frustrating, so give yourself plenty of time, it can turn into a project. Keep your patience in check, once you lose that, you might as well stop. I know I get like that, once I get mad or frustrated, I start missing things because I'm too busy cussing at everything, lol.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
crazy longhorn

The truck was purchased used, last yr....so I do not know prior history. Other than a couple dings or scuffs, it does not appear to have been crashed. As far as when it leaks, is a heavy rain or snow situation. I have opened the hood & doors & checked for missing plugs or harness grommets (what I can see looks in place). I wonder if , under the wiper tray there may be a plug /grommet faulty or missing? It is a bear to get all of the snow out of that tray, & it seems to leak after the snow melts out. Thanks to all for the advice....longhorn
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
TKCR

You might be onto to something there. The water should drain off from that area under the windshield/wiper cowl. If the drain is plugged, the water in the tray is probably spilling over into the fresh air vent and making its way into the cab.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #10
grumpyolddog

I would still be looking at the antenna on the roof or the windshield. I work at a gm store in the bodyshop and have seen leaks in both areas. Where was your truck built? The ones built in Mexico have been the ones that leak around the windshield sealant. If you use soapy water on the outside of the windshield edges and blow compressed air around the inside of the roof and a pillar it will bubble on the outside where the leak is. If the roof antenna is leaking look under the a pillar trim for water trails and stains on the corner of the headliner at the top of the a pillar.
grumpyolddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
crazy longhorn

Once again....thanks to all! You all have given enough info, to help trouble shoot the problem One good bunch of guys/& gals...Longhorn
Old 04-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #12
pamoffa

I'm having that same issue with my 2013 drivers side carpet getting soaked. Been looking at it on nice days. If I find the issue I will post it.
pamoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
pamoffa

I'm still working on my water leak, I've found that I have multiple leaks. Head liner getting wet solved , was the 3rd brake light. All of my leaks end up puddling in the cavity under the door jam plastic that's the low point. 2nd leak was the cab vent and when I took off the old one the rubber was curled under from poor installation, its funny when I installed the new one I did the same thing and bent the rubber gasket, took it off and installed it correctly. Water intake problem is cut down 90% but still have a third area, unless that cab vent is still not right. It's been a process and the winter stopped me from that. I've left the door jam plastic off for over a year so I can see what's going on. Finally at 90% fixed my carpet and underlayment is dry. Not good quality coming from GM because they pay someone 30dollars an hour to put lug nuts on.
pamoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #14
grumpyolddog

Hey pamoffa the doors have a weather seal under the trim panel and if the door has been worked on the seal might have and leak. The water will travel behind the door trim panel and into the cab inside the door opening weather strip and onto the floor.
grumpyolddog is offline   Reply With Quote