The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: CDL holder = Mechanic ??

Used to be tires lasted a really long time. Our neighbor across the street had one of those hideous '60 Plymouths that his wife drove. The tires rusted to the wheels, in southern California. They were as hard as rocks when he took them off. Of course, his wife was one of those blue-haired matrons you see around town driving 15 MPH in a 45 zone. Now tires last about 5 years. Bought a set at CostCo awhile back, and noticed that they were coming apart (Michelins, yet). Fortunately, they were less than five years old, so they got pro-rated. I have a 2016 KIA Forte that will have maybe 20k miles on it when it is 5 years old. I should take the tires off and sell them to someone who drives a lot of miles so that they get the tread wear out of them. I guess they will turn into maypops before I get new tires. As long as I don't drive it fast, I should be OK. Then there's the truck. I hate the idea of paying nearly $1k for tires only to have to trash them at 5 years, which MIGHT be 5k miles. But I sure wouldn't want to be towing a trailer and have one blow out. That alone is worth paying the money.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #27
powerdriver

Seems like rubber products in general have gone down hill . Wiper blades , If they make 6 months you have good ones .
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #28
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Made in China. Those guys have "planned obsolescence" totally figured out. >

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
Red71gmc

Around ten years ago when tires took a huge hike in price, I bought a set for one of my tractors at the old lower price. I decided to run my old ones for awhile and didn't put on the new ones. The tractor in question didn't get the hours I originally intended and it ended up being 3-4 years before I made the switch.
Crop stubble damage is horrible anymore with all new tires. It eats them up fast. When the tire shop came out to mount my new 3-4 year old Firesones they wanted them because they were new but fully cured and harder. They had a customer eating through his and swapped me for a new set of Michelins. Michelins in ag tires are the best hands down and run 20 percent or more higher. Everyone was happy.
I really don't know if it was the fact they were "fully curred" or a older recipe of rubber that made them so attractive. I'm getting along good with my Michelins but something is definitely up with new tires. They do not last as they should.
If anyone buys a new pickup with the factory "cheaper Wrangler" tires be prepared to have them bald in 20k miles. No joke, 20k and they are bald.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #30
1976gmc20

Back in the old days you never heard about "shelf life" of tires. You ran them until they wore out whether it was two years or twenty years (or longer!).

Now all the tire shops are saying six years old you have to replace it even if it only has 1000 miles. This is crazy when you have vehicles that you only drive a few hundred miles a year. We put new tires on the Suburban probably about 10 years ago and they still look almost new. But when you live way out in the country you need a spare 4x4 because you can't just call a taxi when there are 2-3 foot snow drifts and you need to get to the barn to feed/water your horses if the Jeep breaks down ...
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #31
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdriver View Post
Seems like rubber products in general have gone down hill . Wiper blades , If they make 6 months you have good ones .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Made in China. Those guys have "planned obsolescence" totally figured out. >
More like "your tax dollars at work".

Most of the effective, active ingredients have been outlawed here in the US, because it "might" cause cancer "in newborns or pregnant mothers in California", or because the natural agents (like sperm whale oil) are now protected, or because the most efficient component (like R12) might be linked to something bad (like "global warming").

That means the scientist and chemist and engineers have to find and work with Plan B (or Plan C or Plan D etc). The farther we advance the more constraints there are to work around and the more compromises are forced upon us.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-24-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #32
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

Most of the effective, active ingredients have been outlawed here in the US, because it "might" cause cancer "in newborns or pregnant mothers in California", or because the natural agents (like sperm whale oil) are now protected, or because the most efficient component (like R12) might be linked to something bad (like "global warming").

That means the scientist and chemist and engineers have to find and work with Plan B (or Plan C or Plan D etc). The farther we advance the more constraints there are to work around and the more compromises are forced upon us.

K
I live in California. They put those warning labels on everything, and I mean everything.

I bought my dog a Frisbee and it had a warning label.

I bought a new strap for my guitar. It had a warning label.

Well, I guess that those are a couple of really dangerous items. And I'm glad that the state is looking out for me. I might hurt myself or cause some reproductive harm.

I would never tell a professional person what to do. If I was so smart, I wouldn't be calling them in the first place.

I see those ad's for prescription medicine telling me to tell my doctor about some medication. Well the last time I checked, I didn't go to medical school. Why would I tell my doctor what to do?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #33
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Give her a broom handle and tell her to put it up to her ear as it will help her by listening through the handle will give her a better idea of where the thumping noise or squeel is coming from ,,,beings she can see the tire wobble goin down the road while driving ,,,that is I guess she can perform this act too..
Old 04-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #34
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

K
Spot on! I thought they said California would fall off into the Pacific by now? I’m still waiting....

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote