The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Smile 1954 Suburban "Buster"

After years of buying, selling, parting, assembling, and never really owning what I want...I cleaned house and sold all of my trucks and put the money up for a bit while I searched for what I wanted. A 1954/55.1 Chevy Suburban.

My mom bought a 54 3100 when I was 8 and drove it for 3 or 4 years. I remember her scraping windows with a Montgomery Wards Auto Club card when it was frosty. I remember her chugging through the column shift. I remember when she sold it. After 30 years my son has what is left and we made a heck of a hot rod out of it together.

Now it is my turn!

I'm still waiting for the shipment from Phoenix but a bright yellow 54 is on it's way in the next month to me. In the mean time I've started assembling a stock 54 panel chassis that my son found in Chicago a few years ago. I've got front disc brakes swapped, a POL Power Steering conversion kit to go on, a 350TPI/700r4 with computer combo, CPP engine and trans cross members, a ZR2 disc brake rear axle, and an underfloor power brake unit. A set of Posie's lowering springs are in the front.

The intent is to look fairly stock but underneath have some go and whoa.

My younger son took a look at the photos and said "call it Buster because it looks like a school bus" so Buster is the name.

And yes, it has the dash mounted clock housing!! No, you can't have it!!

I'm looking for some guidance (and yes, I've been using the search function) on installation of the engine cross member and motor location. Do I NEED to trim the front cross member where the I6 would have bolted in? I see some posts that look like I do, others maybe not but clarity isn't there. Any help is appreciated. Don't let the TPI unit scare you, the rear of the engine is just a HEI dizzy so that is what will be the clearance concern to the firewall.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 04-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 1954 Suburban "Buster"

That's cool....never seen the clock before....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Where it all began...Court's 54.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That's cool....never seen the clock before....
I'm hoping to have Court be able to duplicate it. Know a guy who's made his own 3D printer. Would be nice for a set of gauges across the dash. I think same mechanical clock as the Bel Air from what I've seen. I may still have one from my old car.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
LEEVON

Hi Dan! Looks like a nice start, will be watching! I think I remember Court's truck from the HAMB? Leevon
Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Hi Dan! Looks like a nice start, will be watching! I think I remember Court's truck from the HAMB? Leevon
Yep. He’s 26 now. Manufacturing Engineer for a solar panel manufacturer. This picture is from last August at Detroit’s Historic Fort Wayne. Great time. Hope to drive Buster this year!

Just got home from buying a parts truck.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
youngrodder

Looks like you've got a solid one to start with...
Good luck

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Matt_50

I had to cut out my original engine crossmember when I added my tubular style one. The forward most crossmember shouldn't need any trimming, mine was kinda a close fit but no problems so far.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I had to cut out my original engine crossmember when I added my tubular style one. The forward most crossmember shouldn't need any trimming, mine was kinda a close fit but no problems so far.
Thanks, Matt. Yours was the only one I could find and couldn’t tell if you trimmed the front one or not. I did remove the rear one. Got any side shots? Looking to see roughly where you mounted the cross member. Did you relocate the brake line tabs as well?

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 04-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
Matt_50

Setting the engine and trans in together I did my best to get the pinion angle pretty close. After that I got it just close enough to firewall that I could squeeze my hand between wall and dizzy. Where the firewall and floor meet... it's like mayelbe a 1/4 inch away from touching the trans.

I think I used some 3/4 inch thick wood scraps to help. I stuck them inside frame on each side and sat the crossmember on them and did a quick tack.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Matt_50

I lost the original brake line bracket pieces. Made some new ones though and they are in same spot. Two rivets hold them on on each side. I could only get the rearward bolts in though because the forward two are covered by the crossmember end pieces. I can try for better pics tomorrow.

I also later added the tubular style trans member too.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #12
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Looks like you've got a solid one to start with...
Good luck

Marc
Thanks, Marc. Your’s is amazing. I’m not a body man so I am getting one from Phoenix.

Looks like you are about due west of me. Maybe a bit north.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
My younger son took a look at the photos and said "call it Buster because it looks like a school bus" so Buster is the name.

thats a great name!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #14
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I lost the original brake line bracket pieces. Made some new ones though and they are in same spot. Two rivets hold them on on each side. I could only get the rearward bolts in though because the forward two are covered by the crossmember end pieces. I can try for better pics tomorrow.

I also later added the tubular style trans member too.
Thanks. That’s what I was looking for. I’m going to bolt it in just in case I need to remove. I have the rear tubular member as well. Without the body here I’m kind of guessing on location. I am picking up a parts 53 panel to use for mock up and other parts for my younger son’s 49 3800 panel. Pics to follow! That 1/4” should be sufficient. I just want to get the motor in as close as it should be while I wait for the real thing. I want to get brakes, brake lines, axle, and driveshaft in. Maybe even the start of fuel lines. Not going to blow my wad on a tank if there are already 2 with Buster. I will try to slide it all forward this afternoon once the parts panel is home.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #15
Advanced Design

Cool, another Burb build! Tagging along for the rest.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Weather has sucked so no work done. Nephew bought a house with 2 barns a few miles away. May transfer my pile to his place this weekend to get the chassis wrapped up. Title came in the mail today. Just waiting for Ben D to pick up the truck in about 10 days and deliver. I'm getting excited!

Found a 71 Chevy van tilt column on CL this morning...may have to go to Ohio for a purchase.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #17
8man

Good story and a nice truck. Have fun with it.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
Matt_50

I haven't really paid attention to the burbs. I've only seen pones without windows too, I kinda want one like yours...
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #19
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Update! Ben D has picked up Buster this week and he’s resting comfortably in Texas through the weekend. The nose is in the back as it wasn’t bolted down. Safer to ship that way!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Buster made it home last week and my younger son, Eli, and I spent yesterday working on clean up of his 49 3800 panel and my 54 Suburban. Amazing how much crap can build up in an old truck over 30 years of sitting. The seats were some power seats out of a full size sedan and they were yucky! After getting those out and hosing down the floor and doors I hit the driver's side with some rubbing compound. It took a lot of scrubbing and several coats but she has a bit of shine now. A coat of wax is on tap! That and ridding the windows of all of the old bubbled up window tint. Mocking up Trailblazer seats that we've had for a while.

Pictures later. Having issues currently!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
....After getting those out and hosing down the floor and doors I hit the driver's side with some rubbing compound. It took a lot of scrubbing and several coats but she has a bit of shine now. A coat of wax is on tap! That and ridding the windows of all of the old bubbled up window tint. Mocking up Trailblazer seats that we've had for a while.

Pictures later. Having issues currently!
Excellent. If I met: cleaning top that paint might go a little quicker if you. color sanded it with 2000 grit before attempting to polish & wax it. Just an idea. I bet you get a decent appearance out of that paint.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Resized. Will see if that works. Thanks, Dan for the idea on 2000 grit. Sounds like a better plan than what I was doing! The hood is rough and the fenders have a lot of build up over the years.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 05-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
....Thanks, Dan for the idea on 2000 grit. Sounds like a better plan than what I was doing! The hood is rough and the fenders have a lot of build up over the years.
You're welcome.

WARNING: Just my opinion coming: I'm not a fan of what a lot of guys call "patina" - I mean the rusty, dead flat paint from decades of buses or neglect.

I AM a fan of what I think really constitutes patina. Decades of polishing and caring for paint and chrome - even if it wasn't in that good of condition to begin with. My Dad's purchased-new, black '55 Chevy two door hardtop Belair to bring home his newborn son (me) was polished through to the orange factory primer in places by the time I got it at 17 because he tried to take care of it all those years.

PS: I wonder if there's chrome under your black painted grille? Some citrus paint stripper (if it's chrome under there) and then 0000 steel wool/wax will bring up whatever remains of it. Best of luck and please post pictures.

I think if you get it all shiny - even if you polish through to primer or bare metal - it'll look like someone's been trying to keep it nice through the years. Anyway, just my $.02. Whatever you do, as long as YOU like it is what's important!

Old 05-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #24
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Thanks, Dan. I love a paint job showing age like you describe. I do not like faux patina, either. I want to put the best possible shine on what I have until I can afford to have a real nice paint job done!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #25
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Thanks, Dan. I love a paint job showing age like you describe. I do not like faux patina, either. I want to put the best possible shine on what I have until I can afford to have a real nice paint job done!
Agreed on the "faux" patina. The words make it sound like it's desirable when all it really means is fake.

If my truck had had anything remotely resembling its original paint I'd have tried the sand & polish method. But it was a mess. In hindsight, I do wish I'd tried it on a fender to see what was under there, but oh well.