The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #26
jimcol

Re: 1949 resto mod new project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
i would look for one with a reccessed feature so you can move the engine back some...there are many styles out there ...just need to pick what you can live with...or build your own
I am thinking I will probably make the lower firewall and front floor pieces. I don't like the looks of the ones I've seen for $450.00 plus shipping. I did find a smooth upper fire wall panel that looks good and is reasonably priced.
The closer I look at this body I'm finding a lot of thick Bondo on the cowl side panels. Those panels are $65.00 each and real easy to replace. Most of the floor is in acceptable condition and there is some rust under the bottom door hinges. The body mount bushings are original so I'll have to replace them while I have the body off.
I got a question that is way off topic, I mean way off topic. I am also building a custom '34 Ford Sedan Tudor and I need a passenger door really bad. So if anyone has one or knows where one is let me know. The ones I've found on the net are way too expensive and even the replacement skin is through the roof. It's funny that I can buy a door skin for a '48-'54 Chevy pu fot $60.00 but one for that old ford is $600.00.
Anyway thanks.
jimcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #27
jimcol

I haven't posted in a few days still waiting on the front cross member. I did get a replacement cross member/ radiator support. Here is a photo of it sitting in place and ready to tack in place.
This afternoon I am starting on making my mounts for the lincoln IRS and prepping the frame to accept it. I'll post pics tonight.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #28
jimcol

I finally got in the correct M2 front crossmember. I have worked on several cars and trucks using the M2 front suspension and have had to correct a few that were poorly installed.
I have never installed one from the beginning.
First I have to get my front crossmember in place then move to the M2 crossmember.
I am using for my references 4 points where I dropped plumb bobs from the center of the 2 front and 2 rear leaf spring mounts. I cross measured to see if the frame was square and it shows to be approx. 1/32 to 1/16 out of square. That's pretty darn close.
Anyone who's has done an M2 front end please chime in and let me know if I am on the right track here.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #29
jimcol

Just a quick update. I got the front suspension tacked in place. I'm still waiting for shocks. Next am doing the firewall before I pull the body.. I set the engine in place to get an idea where I want the tunnel . I'm waiting for the transmission too.
Attached Images