The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
DeBattista

Help With Column

I am working on my wife’s 1972 CST Blazer. We pulled her non tilt column and bought what was supposed to be a factory C10 tilt column but it has no place for a neutral safety switch. I original was worried about the shift lever area as that was missing the detent like the non-tilt column had. I don’t think it’s a van column because all the photos I’ve seen of those, they have a neutral safety switch it’s just high mounted, also this column has the big flat connector with an adapter to the horseshoe. Trying to figure out what to do and what the hell I have. Oh also the column/shaft is actually a little shorter than the non-tilt. I attached so photos of the tilt column.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

DeBattista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
70shortfleet

Re: Help With Column

Your column is not a real truck tilt. Some or the early 70's tilt columns from motor homes did not have n/s switches on them and the main shaft that hooks up to the intermediate shaft looks shorter than a normal shaft from the picture you have shown. There are few other signs that tell me that it was a van or motor home tilt to begin with.
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
DeBattista

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
Your column is not a real truck tilt. Some or the early 70's tilt columns from motor homes did not have n/s switches on them and the main shaft that hooks up to the intermediate shaft looks shorter than a normal shaft from the picture you have shown. There are few other signs that tell me that it was a van or motor home tilt to begin with.
It is definitely a little short 3/8” measured on the shaft, I had read that van stuff was longer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
DeBattista

I also noticed it has a bulb as opposed to the fiber optic line for the indicator under further examination.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
70shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBattista View Post
I also noticed it has a bulb as opposed to the fiber optic line for the indicator under further examination.
Posted via Mobile Device
All automatic tilts will have the bulb, only floor shift tilts will not have a bulb
Old 07-29-2018, 12:18 AM   #6
DeBattista

Quote:
All automatic tilts will have the bulb, only floor shift tilts will not have a bulb
Thanks good to know. I took both columns apart today almost as an exploratory mission and found out there is a ton different. Hopefully getting a legitimate C10/Blazer column on Monday and can use the rebuilt parts from this tilt to rebuild it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 AM   #7
DeBattista

I found an issue today with the shaft. The splines at the end of the motor Home column measured about .95 (15/16” approximatly) versus the .72 (3/4” approximately) of the stock column. Has anyone seen an intermediate shaft with that big of a spline connection? I was going to begin cutting it up to make peovisions for a neutral safety switch but will do me no good if I cannot attach it to the other end. Haha thanks for all the help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
DeBattista

Does anyone know of an intermediate shaft made with 1-48 spline count on the receiving end?

Original non tilt column had 3/4-36 splines and this motor home column has 1-48 spline count.

So even if I cut in the neutral safety switch I still won't be able to put it in the truck.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
70shortfleet

Where did you buy that column from so we all know not to buy from that guy! Tilt and non tilt columns for 67-72 chevy trucks should have a 36 tooth spline. Even the lower bearing has to be different to fit that diameter shaft. The only thing I can think of is to take it to a machine shop and if the lowest part of the tooth on the spline is equal to or greater than .72 have a new spline with 36 machined. I have a machine shop do mine when I cut down van tilt column shafts.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
DeBattista

Quote:
Where did you buy that column from so we all know not to buy from that guy! Tilt and non tilt columns for 67-72 chevy trucks should have a 36 tooth spline. Even the lower bearing has to be different to fit that diameter shaft. The only thing I can think of is to take it to a machine shop and if the lowest part of the tooth on the spline is equal to or greater than .72 have a new spline with 36 machined. I have a machine shop do mine when I cut down van tilt column shafts.
It was a craigslist find and my own negligence of not doing the research is what led me to this situation. It was a nicely rebuilt unit with all new bearings etc...however just way to different for a truck or Blazer.

I just got off the phone with Gary Terry and ordered one, and my new correct tilt column is on its way.