The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #1
C-10 Power

Found a nice '72 C-10

Hey,

I found a nice C-10 today for sale. The owner didn't know when the engine was last rebuilt, or the trans, but it hasn't had much TLC in the past 10 years or so. I plan on replacing parts listed below. If anyone can tell me, I would like to use this as a daily driver, would it be safe to do so?

If I replaced all the following parts, should it be good to go for a while, in other words is it safe to assume that if I replace the following parts that it would not leave me stranded anytime soon? I plan on running a compression test tomorrow or the following day, and would like to know if there are any parts I left out that would need replacing after not having much use or TLC in 10 years. It has an exhaust leak right at the head and the header gasket. I know that could burn a valve, that's one reason I plan on doing the compression test. But if anyone could help me out and let me know if I'm leaving something important out, I would appreciate it: He just fixed up the radiator and put a starter and battery in it.

Chevy C-10 Parts and Repair List
Tires
Run Compression Test
Oil Pressure?
Fix Exhaust Leak/New Gaskets
Spark Plugs
Coil
Spark Plug Wires
Condenser
Water Pump
Front End Parts?
Get A/C Working
Relocate Horn Button
Oil Change?
Air Filter
Alternator
Starter Solenoid
Fan Shroud?
Trans Fluid Level?
Inspection Lights
Windshield Wipers
Window on Passenger Side needs Lubrication/Lithium Grease
Regrease Front Wheel Bearings
Check for Wear on all Four Brakes
Belts,
Hoses
Adjust Emergency Brake Cable
C-10 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: Found a nice '72 C-10

I would only replace tune up parts to start out with. Changing the alternator, starter selinoid, water pump and coil are not Necessary unless they are bad. No need to throw money at parts that still work. Save that money for things you want or need. Same goes for the tires. I wouldn’t replace them unless there completely worn or dry rotted.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

But, if the tires have been on the truck for the 10 years it's been sitting, then they absolutely MUST be changed. You'd be driving a ticking time bomb trying to run 10 year old tires, no matter how they look, or how good the tread is. I agree with the above though, no need to replace alternator and water pump if they're working fine. Tune up parts, definitely, and make sure the brakes are working well.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
bill3rail

Go with what is needed!
Full tune up
All Filters
Tires
Exhaust leak repair
Check brakes
Grease everything
Check all fluid levels

Alternator/Coil/Starter Solenoid? If you have them on hand, leave them in the truck for emergencies.

You will find plenty of things to do as time goes on so fix what it needs and check everything else regularly.

Bill
Old 07-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

The Brake hydraulic system & fuel system are the most important things to check & rebuild when a truck has been sitting for a long time. If you are looking for dependability I would replace the alt., waterpump & belts/hoses. Those are common parts to fail. Maybe even the starter/selinoid, but they usually give a warning.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote