The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
COBALT

SBC fuel filter questions

Ok, after last weekend's cleaning out of my carburetor to get my engine from running over with gas I decided to revisit my fuel filter setup. My current setup involves one of those glass replaceable element filters. I've been catching all kinds of rust particles from my gas tank, and the sand that ended up in the fuel bowls was the finer stuff the filter can't catch.

Questions:

1. Should I think about putting a filter BEFORE the fuel pump if my gas tank is shedding so much debris? If so what kind?

2. Do you guys like the idea of using a finer/cheaper fuel filter after the glass one to catch the finer stuff before it goes to the carburetor?

3. In general what would be the fuel filter setup you guys would use for 3/8" fuel line?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: SBC fuel filter questions

I like a fine paper element filter before the carb, and a coarse mesh screen filter before the pump if it's an electric.

The Fram G3 from wal mart that costs $3 filters very well, but I've never liked the plastic housing. I use a Billet Specialties filter that takes a paper Q-Jet element. There's a review that I did of it with pics in the reviews section.

Before my fuel pump (electric) I have an aluminum Edelbrock filter that has a stainless mesh screen that is very free flowing. Fine sediment will get through, but it'll catch the larger chunks.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Damien

I would think about cleaning out the fuel tank first. Other than that I would use a steel filter before the pump. The Wix number for 3/8" is 33003.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
lurch115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I like a fine paper element filter before the carb, and a coarse mesh screen filter before the pump if it's an electric.

The Fram G3 from wal mart that costs $3 filters very well, but I've never liked the plastic housing. I use a Billet Specialties filter that takes a paper Q-Jet element. There's a review that I did of it with pics in the reviews section.

Before my fuel pump (electric) I have an aluminum Edelbrock filter that has a stainless mesh screen that is very free flowing. Fine sediment will get through, but it'll catch the larger chunks.

lol i put one of those walmart special fram filters between a stock fuel pump and an edelbrock carb. they tend to "pulsate" everytime the pump pushes fuel. scary stuff.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote