The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #751
SCOTI

Re: 75 Dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
Ruh roh....what happened?
I'm guessing not enough time to get it done & road-ready for an >8hr trip.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #752
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
Ruh roh....what happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'm guessing not enough time to get it done & road-ready for an >8hr trip.
No it was not the truck, I had something come up and simply could not attend. Next year it will have to be. Who know I might even throw another color on it!
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #753
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
No it was not the truck, I had something come up and simply could not attend. Next year it will have to be. Who know I might even throw another color on it!
Same here.... Had an equipment tear-down scheduled @ work for today which is when I had planned to leave. So I got bumped to just going for Sat like last year. Then, production was running behind from other projects so the tear-down got bumped to Saturday. Once that happened, I was out. Now, the tear-down has been bumped until next week but I'm @ work & since I wasn't going to be able to go the dually has just been sitting.

Might try & go tomorrow in my little truck for a few hours.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #754
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Same here.... Had an equipment tear-down scheduled @ work for today which is when I had planned to leave. So I got bumped to just going for Sat like last year. Then, production was running behind from other projects so the tear-down got bumped to Saturday. Once that happened, I was out. Now, the tear-down has been bumped until next week but I'm @ work & since I wasn't going to be able to go the dually has just been sitting.

Might try & go tomorrow in my little truck for a few hours.
Your life sounds just as fun as mind does! Take some pics for the rest of us if you get to go!!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #755
75Dually

No LST for me, but I did get it put back together tonight then the wife and I went to the store and I had to take the gas station shot while we were out.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #756
daddyjeep

Awesome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #757
75Dually

Forgot my favorite pic!
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #758
SCOTI

Nice. Very nice....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #759
75Dually

Took the truck out front today and washed all that Lubbock dust off it. I did this so I could apply the vinyl spray that Vvivid vinyl recommends you apply after installation. I also had another reason...

I did the factory chrome trim around the entire truck. I think it came out nice, but it got dark before I could take it out and snap any pics.

Tomorrow I will take some pics and post them. Some are going to like and some not. I felt the truck was a bit to mono chromatic for my tastes, even with the accent color. But I will let you be the judge.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #760
75Dually

So here is tonight's update. I got the factory trim put on yesterday. Some will like it, some not, but such is the internet today. Oh well I dig it and that's what counts! I like the way it breaks up the slabbed sided nature of a square body.

Now onto the interior and the bed, but I'm taken some days off...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #761
smbrouss70

I like it with the trim. It definitely needed that to help break it up. Looks Good!

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #762
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
I like it with the trim. It definitely needed that to help break it up. Looks Good!
Thanks Steven!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #763
hawgfanman

Where did you buy the vinyl? I looked back through but must have missed the post if you said where you got it. The paint on the hood and roof of my 98 are shot and I think that I might like to give this a try. Thanks!
hawgfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #764
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I agree with you completely. I really think it needs the trim. I sure wish you could have made it to LST.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #765
cochino12
It followed me home?

Turned out great! hard work payed off.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #766
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgfanman View Post
Where did you buy the vinyl? I looked back through but must have missed the post if you said where you got it. The paint on the hood and roof of my 98 are shot and I think that I might like to give this a try. Thanks!
Thanks for the question. Since I started this portion of the project there have been a lot of questions that I will list below, most of them have been from Facebook and other social media, but I think that it will benefit folks that want to try this out. So here it goes...

1. I purchased everything on eBay
2. The brand I purchased is Vvivid vinyl - but I also suggest you look at 3M and Avery Dennison as well.
3. The color is Porsche GT3 blue, or sometimes it is labeled Smurf blue.
4. I used knifeless tape on all the seams, and all the major cuts as well. Check it out on YouTube!

Technical questions and methods for application.
1. I used latex gloves while laying down the vinyl. You don't want any oils from your hands on the adhesive, plus it helps minimize scratches on the top surface as well.
2. I simply used in a spray bottle some light soapy water to first clean the piece being applied to, and then I used it as a lubricant on the film surface.
3. Use a squeegee with a felt edge to apply the film. You can get these on eBay as well.
4. Use a good heat gun, I burned up 2 cheap ones from Harbor Freight.
5. You want to lay the wrap down on the surface of the part being covered face up and then remove the backing paper from the underside while keeping the film as much as possible unexposed. The reason for all of this is there is a lot of static when you pull the backing paper off, and any dust or fine particles will go to the film like a magnet. So be cautious when doing this step.
6. Get some samples of the film you would like to use and try it out on some small pieces first. This will give you a better understanding of how this material works and how to apply it.
7. Watch YouTube videos on how to apply this stuff. Some of the better channels are Avery Dennison, Danny Pate, and Arlon. All of these were invaluable to me. I learned so much from these channels that it made my job a lot easier. And when I ran into issues, and you will run into a lot of issues when laying down this wrap stuff, I went right to the computer and watched the pros do it. Most of the time I was able to go right back and duplicate their results.
8. One of the things I like best about doing wrap is that when I got frustrated (and you will get frustrated!) I could simply lay it down and walk away. You cannot do this with paint...
9. Be patient! This stuff can be burned easy, tear easy, and scratch easy if you don't watch yourself. I know because I did all 3! The best advice I can give you is to minimize any distractions, lock the shop door, put the tunes on, and just go at this at a slow pace. When you run into a problem, and again you will run into problems, slow down and think through it like you would any other technical item that pops up.

I hope this gives you some small help. Try it out I think that once you master some of the techniques you will find new ways to use this cool material. It's not for everyone, but it just might work for you...

Last edited by 75Dually; 02-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #767
hawgfanman

Thanks so much for the advice! Your truck turned out great and this looks like something that even I might be able to do!
hawgfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #768
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I agree with you completely. I really think it needs the trim. I sure wish you could have made it to LST.
Me too! I was so bummed... Do you still want to do the article? Do you have time to do it? If so messenger me on Facebook and we can figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Turned out great! hard work payed off.
Thanks Adam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgfanman View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! Your truck turned out great and this looks like something that even I might be able to do!
Yeah give it a try. Like I said above get some samples and just try them on something small that way you will know if you like it or not.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #769
COS399

Looks good, but there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. Not sure if it is the finish on the mirrors or the newer style black trim on the bumpers. Could just be the missing rear wheel center caps.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #770
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post
Looks good, but there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. Not sure if it is the finish on the mirrors or the newer style black trim on the bumpers. Could just be the missing rear wheel center caps.
You will notice that I put in here a disclaimer: My hide is tired! And the other day when I thought I should just break down and put them back on I looked at the empty easy chair and guess which one won that battle!

Yes I will get them put back on... So funny!!

The actual reason they came off was I was checking the wheel bolt torque to make sure it stabilized. Once I take a set of wheels off anything I go back and check the torque again. This has been ingrained in me over the years dealing with the large equipment I am around everyday. Ever had a dual tire come off on a high horse power tractor or combine? Not a pretty sight trust me!

So have I explained my laziness, probably not... I know back to work!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #771
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It looks awesome! I also like the trim on it. Hey, who knows. Maybe it'll save a door ding down the road too. Now that you have done it, do you think you'd do it again, or just paint it. I can bet you had a lot of time doing all that.

I won't throw stones for the center caps being off. I don't put mine back on until after I torque them after 60-100 miles too. Just on the aluminum ones usually. Steels don't seem to be a big issue. I've had some tires come off when thieves started removing them in a parking lot at work years ago. Too bad no one knew about it until the next Monday at work after most of everyone had issues.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #772
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It looks awesome! I also like the trim on it. Hey, who knows. Maybe it'll save a door ding down the road too. Now that you have done it, do you think you'd do it again, or just paint it. I can bet you had a lot of time doing all that.

I won't throw stones for the center caps being off. I don't put mine back on until after I torque them after 60-100 miles too. Just on the aluminum ones usually. Steels don't seem to be a big issue. I've had some tires come off when thieves started removing them in a parking lot at work years ago. Too bad no one knew about it until the next Monday at work after most of everyone had issues.
Ryan, Glad your not up to throwing stones! You asked above if I would do this again and the answer is yes. Although it did take some time being my first time, I wanted to purposely go slow, and I would do it again. The process is actually not bad, and if you are in the right frame of mind can be fun as long as the piece is not too hard. I have some other colors I would like to try in the future, but I told myself that I was going to start on my 68 GMC next after this beast was completed.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #773
COS399

Hope my message didn't come off like I was "Throwing Stones." I Love the work that you have done on this project as well as your side projects. If It came off that way, I would like to apologize to you. Next time I'm passing through I will buy you lunch.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #774
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post
Hope my message didn't come off like I was "Throwing Stones." I Love the work that you have done on this project as well as your side projects. If It came off that way, I would like to apologize to you. Next time I'm passing through I will buy you lunch.
Never fear! I thought your post was very funny and well said. I was laughing my tuckis off! Hope I did not come off as a stuffy old fart!! Ryan (Dieselwrencher) on the other hand was just jumping on the same trampoline and throwing rocks at the short bus kids (Me!)

So to both of you, you made my day! Keep the posts coming, and next time you get my way I will be very glad to share breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #775
Cjcolbyjack

Very nice!!!

54 3600 Lincoln aviator chassis swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=717927
Cjcolbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote