The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #301
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
have you decided to ''mock up'' the bed
I got on another thread yesterday that was discussing how bad it was to notch your frame from a strength standpoint. I posed a question about my hot rod pickup bed situation and one of the guys who was an engineer had a better solution and did a cad drawing of it. It involves a fair bit of work, but totally solves my frame kick up problem without having to cut on the frame any. Brilliant, thanks a lot John (Lakeroadster). I will be taking his idea and running with it soon.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (Finished with MAJOR Surgery - IT'S ALIVE!!!)

The Bride is currently under the knife!

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-13-2011 at 03:41 PM.
drewskiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #302
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
i wonder if you have the first 67-72 chevy truck with a late model Hydro-formed frame ???? Loving this build
Probably.

I know for a fact I have the first 72 CREW CAB with a late model Hydro-formed frame!

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #303
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskiren View Post
I got on another thread yesterday that was discussing how bad it was to notch your frame from a strength standpoint, and I posed a question about my hot rod pickup bed situation and one of the guys who was an engineer had a better solution and did a cad drawing of it. It involves a fair bit of work, but totally solves my frame kick up problem without having to cut on the frame any. Brilliant, thanks a lot John (Lakeroadster). I will be taking his idea and running with it soon.
Could you put up a link to the other thread so we can follow along?
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #304
67cheby
67cheby

you can always just raise your bed floor the way i did mine and it keeps it pretty stock looking
Attached Images

67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #305
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Quote:
you can always just raise your bed floor the way i did mine and it keeps it pretty stock looking
I was planning on having to do that, but really didn't want all that work and have less depth in my box. I wouldn't want to lose more than 2 inches of depth, but that would be a ton of work for 2 inches and still not enough. I'd rather only have to implement 1 solution for the total drop I need. I had already scrutinized your thread on this extensively, nice work.

Here is the link to the other thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=393867&page=5

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #306
67cheby
67cheby

yes... that indeed does look like a great plan with lots less work, i think you have a winner !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #307
swamp rat

Quote:
Thanks - The toolbox is a Cornwell that I scored on eBay 2 years ago. The poor guy bought it new 5 years ago and paid over 10 grand. I won his eBay auction for $1600. Needless to say I went the next day to pick it up!
I cannot beleve he didn't put some kinda reserve on it! Musta been really hurtin for cash.. Good score! I'd give up all 3 of my rollaways and top chests for that.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #308
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice progress on the frame! That is a great solution! Too bad he quit giving advice, he knows his stuff.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 01-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #309
Rokcrln

I really like the newer frame, I have wanted to do this for some time now. My last work truck was a 2000 3/4T chevy with a 5.3 and I turned it back into our shop with 265,000 miles after only having to replace 1 fuel pump at 80K and a water pump at 210K. Even the brakes were the originals and I towed allot with that truck and over loaded it on a regular basis. Great platform for a daily driver.

Quote:
A boy we mentor lent a hand.
I think I just solved my labor problem!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #310
78bronzechariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I cannot beleve he didn't put some kinda reserve on it! Musta been really hurtin for cash.. Good score! I'd give up all 3 of my rollaways and top chests for that.
I can believe it. I used to be a professional mechanic. Paid over $5000 for my Matco Toolbox. I hated my job, and ended up hating working on my own cars because it wasn't fun anymore. It was like being at work. I changed careers so I would enjoy cars again. Anyway, I was moving and I needed to sell it, so I let mine go for $1500. The problems with getting top dollar out of those things are: 1) most people don't need one because you don't have to worry about coworkers stealing your stuff, 2) the people who do need them can pay 50 bucks a week to the Matco, Cornwell, Snap-on truck instead of $5000 all at once, and 3) transportation: those things weigh a ton! took three good sized guys to lift mine into the new owners truck and that was with all the drawers taken out!

Still congratulations it is a nice place to store your tools when you have one, sometimes I regret selling mine.

Sorry to Highjack, end of tangent.... And you are building an awesome truck
78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #311
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Got bored with cutting and grinding on the frame, plus, Gnande wasn't home to help so I thought I would start to investigate how the steering could be put together. The 2001 rack and pinion has some nice u joints that are required to get the severe angles to work out. I will have to keep that portion of the shaft. The 1972 shaft has some cool internal workings that are required to make the shift lever work and have detents for park, reverse, drive, etc. I'll have to keep that part of the shaft intact too. All of these required parts are about 6 inches too long. Uh-Oh.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #312
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Well, my investigation turned into full blown how in heck is this going to work/let's just try some stuff. I had really been dreading this and worrying how it would come together, so I just dove in. First thing I noticed that could go was the accordion looking shaft. Choped that off and the remainder slides into the leftover piece. I can now just weld this together and voila (pronounced wah lah) I just saved 5 inches. Next I pulled the shaft to the rag joint and discovered an extra 1.5 inches there by making up a connection sleeve from the leftover rag joint shaft. I cut a little 2 inch section out and drilled 2 bolt holes.
Attached Images

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-14-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #313
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

I wasn't so lucky that my sleeve just slid over my 2 shafts that I was bringing together, but they were both close. The 2001 end had 2 flat sides already, I just had to grind them down smaller. The old shaft on the 72 had splines and a flat groove on 1 side. I ground down the opposite side and the sleeve now would slide onto both parts. To me this is true Hot Rodding, taking parts from different vehicles and machining them to fit and work together. So much more satisfying to make it myself than buy it and bolt it on (sorry vendors).
Attached Images

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-14-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #314
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

3 hours after starting my investigation and here we are, finished and ready to bolt in using the factory 72 steering column mounts. Time for bedtime prayers, good night all.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #315
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice job and great innovation. I find myself doing the same type of stuff all the time. I try to use what I have because it is cheaper most times, and I want to get it done.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #316
Rokcrln

I like the idea but here are my $.02 for safety sake. It looks like the 01 end that you had to drill is aluminum and if so they are ok in stock form but now with the hole drilled into it their is very little "meat" left. Also aluminum is a funny metal in that it can be work hardened when used for steering and suspension parts but once you start drilling or grinding on it the heat produced will start to anneal the metal causing it to soften. Not what you want in your steering system.

So what I would do if this is the only way to hook up the steering is to take the other end of that same joint (but off a different shaft) that is metal and press the joints apart. Then re-build them so you end up with 2 steel ends that you can then weld the coupler to and not just rely on a single bolt that can end up wobbling out the hole and cause slop or a failure.

I hope this makes sense and I also hope this is coming across as for "safety" and in no way a slam on your design.

I will give you a call later about the cover and air box.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #317
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I like the idea but here are my $.02 for safety sake. It looks like the 01 end that you had to drill is aluminum and if so they are ok in stock form but now with the hole drilled into it their is very little "meat" left. Also aluminum is a funny metal in that it can be work hardened when used for steering and suspension parts but once you start drilling or grinding on it the heat produced will start to anneal the metal causing it to soften. Not what you want in your steering system.

So what I would do if this is the only way to hook up the steering is to take the other end of that same joint (but off a different shaft) that is metal and press the joints apart. Then re-build them so you end up with 2 steel ends that you can then weld the coupler to and not just rely on a single bolt that can end up wobbling out the hole and cause slop or a failure.

I hope this makes sense and I also hope this is coming across as for "safety" and in no way a slam on your design.

I will give you a call later about the cover and air box.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks for the heads up, That hole was already there and I only had to grind it down a smidge with the cut off wheel, so it never got hot. I am probably have to redo it anyway because of a steering sensor I forgot about that rides on the shaft. I'll rebuild it like you said to be safe and because I can't weld to the aluminum anyway.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #318
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
I really like the newer frame, I have wanted to do this for some time now. My last work truck was a 2000 3/4T chevy with a 5.3 and I turned it back into our shop with 265,000 miles after only having to replace 1 fuel pump at 80K and a water pump at 210K. Even the brakes were the originals and I towed allot with that truck and over loaded it on a regular basis. Great platform for a daily driver.

I think I just solved my labor problem!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I wanted to do the same thing with my 78 K20 and a wrecked 03 K2500 a friend had. I really wanted to use the 03 dash in the 78 but it ended up being too deep for a regular cab truck. There just wasn't enough room left between the seat back and the 03 steering wheel. Your hybrid of keeping the original older trucks dash & steering column solves that half of the problem.

With your crew cab you could probably make the newer dash & column work by just relocating the front seats rearward a little until you had enough room to be comfortable but I like the idea of keeping the stock 72 interior and column too.

I should have done the chassis & drivetrain swap anyway but I gave up on the project when I couldn't make the dash work out. I really wanted the dual zone climate control system, driver information center / gauge cluster and stereo out of the 03.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #319
69CST-V

Great information and you are a true HOT RODDER. Keep making it yours by doing what hasn't been done. Very good thread.

Company Trucks
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #320
78BO

Cool build. Got to see it done.

Bryan
Old 01-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #321
pickup67man

That is a lot shorter steering shaft with the rack & pinion. I am looking at setting up my suburban on a newer chassis also. Since I don't have any drivetrain yet a complete but wrecked vehicle will be cheaper.

2005 K2500 Duramax (hauls the junk home)
1967 Chev C10 (hauls a$$)
1970 Suburban (Yukon XL 4 door)
1968 GMC 3/4 ton (sheetmetal only, chassis gone)
2005 Malibu (wife's car, still a Chevy)

Project Family Hauler

New Home for Chevys (Moved in and working)
pickup67man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #322
scooterskoolkustoms

I love this build,keep up the good work.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #323
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrktracer View Post
Yah , I like the way Drew has done his by cutting the crown out of it, That's the only way they look right if you ask me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Just found this build; I'm in. Great progress so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76kcfdeng View Post
I am doing just a normal build and it can get overwhelming, what you are doing would put me over the edge. You are dong a beautiful job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
Wow! Very nice work. You inspire me. Keep it up. Subscribed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAGMC View Post
Great looking project, can't wait too see it finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caviness View Post
nice build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
wow nice work just read the whole thread!! great skills you will have one very cool truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman68 View Post
Great build, love it. My project is similar, but I have alot of rust to deal with. You are doing a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hey nice progress! You are making this thing look like a truck now for sure.

BTW, $1600 is a very reasonable price. Keep the pics coming!
Quote:
I am liking the progress you are making. Someday I need to build one of these for my self or maybe I will just get my current project (LowBuk) back on the road and call it done

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyblazer View Post
kolll plaing on doing one my self on a few years
Quote:
AWESOME progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice progress. Can I ask how you ended up with 4 denali's? They seem to be scarce around here at the auctions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's C-10 View Post
sweet build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
wow that is just pure awsome!!!!
Quote:
Nice progress on the frame! That is a great solution! Too bad he quit giving advice, he knows his stuff.
Quote:
Nice job and great innovation. I find myself doing the same type of stuff all the time. I try to use what I have because it is cheaper most times, and I want to get it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CST-V View Post
Great information and you are a true HOT RODDER. Keep making it yours by doing what hasn't been done. Very good thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BO View Post
Cool build. Got to see it done.

Bryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterskoolkustoms View Post
I love this build,keep up the good work.
Thanks to everyone who follows along and takes time to comment.

I'm in the engineering jigsaw puzzle phase!

Last edited by drewskiren; 01-15-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #324
67chevy1series

wow about 11 quotes!
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #325
Rokcrln

Here are a few parts coming your way! I made yours out of 18ga then added a few beads into it for looks and rigidity. They will mail out Tuesday.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images