The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
Toytaco

Re: My 49 build "Mater"

Haven't updated in a bit. I've been working on stripping the sonoma on and off for the past couple weeks. Took awhile taking the pieces off and finding the time to get them to the scrap yard. Sold the motor a couple days ago and have someone wanting to come get the tranny tommorrow. Woohoo, money for parts! Started cutting all the old mounts off the frame and already have the metal to build the new ones as soon as i can locate the thread with the measurments for the cab mounts. Ill be attempting to mock up the cab this week. Question tho, where to put / bolt up the cab in the front is self explanitory, but where how did yall mount the cab in the rear?

Couple pics of where im at now.

Toytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
skymangs

Check out my build thread for rear mount locations and dimensions. I posted it in detail. You have a "center" mount cab I take it? I used 1/4" plate to stiffen the outer corners of the cab (on the bottom) for cab mounts. I also posted up my measurements and cab location dimensions in there.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
Toytaco

Thanks skymangs! Im basing my mounts loosely off yours and jeffs51chevy. I do have the "center" mount cab, and that confused me as to how to mount the cab. After me and a buddy got the cab loosely mocked up on the frame with some 2x4's, i can see it will be easy to mount in the rear right by the cab corners. Ive got all 4 corners sitting on two 2x4's. It looks a little low to me, but ill know for sure when i get the fenders, grill, and all the other goodies mocked up whether its sitting where it needs to be.

I also have the bed on for mock up purposes. How did you guys mount the bed in the front? The rear looks easy, but the front is waaaaay above the frame due to it ramping up right behind the cab. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here's a couple pics!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
Toytaco

No suggestions? Come on, somebody has to know something!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #30
FarmerSid

I have some pictures of how my 51 looked before I removed the bed but they are at work on my pc. I'm pretty sure there was wooden blocks between the frame and bedsides. A long bolt went through the center of the wooden block and held everything together. I could be wrong as I am going by memory.
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote