The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2023, 02:45 AM   #1
Mr_Rich

Exhaust header installation time

How long should a job like that take? I retired many years ago but decided to look for work as a part-time mechanic for a private auto collection. So the owner claims I'm milking the job of bolting the new JBA headers on a small block Ford engine with a Vortech supercharger hanging off the front of the engine. We're holding the engine up on a hoist with a 2" bungee hold down strap. I have a guy working with me who's half my age or I'm three times older; one or the other. I vetoed the idea of taking the engine out of the open chassis we're working with (no body metal), but I did want to cut 4X4 pieces of wood to securely support the engine underneath while we removed the bungee strap. We were using new Stage 8 1" bolts with a large flange to bolt up the headers. This required some massaging of the tubes to thread the bolts straight into the aluminum cyl heads we were bolting the headers to. There's so little room for the 7/16" combo box/open end wrench that we barely had room to turn the bolts a fraction of a turn for each wrench cycle. I have ARP header bolts on my Borla headers that I can reach easily with a 3/8" box wrench but this wasn't Chevy I was working on. I think two-and-a-half hours is entirely reasonable time for this job. It's not like we could bolt up these parts with a power ratchet.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Exhaust header installation time

Sounds like fun? So the owner could of done it quicker and better?
Bolt wise I like ARP's with the small bolt heads. Also some anti-seize on the bolts?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote