The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
arcticspade

new top

OK, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot I'm going to ask a question (which I'm sure someone has asked in the past). Has anyone fabbed a custom top as a replacement for the jimmy/blazer? To be more precise a top that is not fiberglass.

I was thinking of making a top that actually sealed well, and perhaps used truck doors instead of the blazer/jimmy doors so the glass would seal well and not leek air/water. Rokcrln posted the thread: Need info from the blazer crowd please! a couple of days ago and it got me thinking. I would still use the normal doors when the top was off, when the seal didn't really matter, but would use the truck doors with the new top when the weather required.

I'm thinking about trying to make it out of something lighter than the fiberglass tops that wouldn't sag like they tend too. Perhaps aluminum or carbon fiber (painted of course, I'm not going for the import look).

I still want to retain the lift hatch as well as side windows and the dome lights, just put in newer replacements that will compliment the new top. I would also like to stay fairly close to the shape of the original, i bought a pre 73 for a reason and would like to stay true to the body style.

I guess the goal would be to create something stronger and lighter with the functionality still in tact if not better.

So like i said I'm going to throw this out there. In my defense i looked for another post with this but couldn't find one along the same lines, but i could have missed it

Anyways, input would be much appreciated.
arcticspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: new top

Would you really want to change your doors every time you took the top off? Sound like a huge hassle. Plus the paint could possibly fade differently if one panel was exposed to the sun more often then the others. I have not seen it but I would guess that a top could be fabricated from a suburban If you wanted to stay away from fiberglass) and made to fit the windows a little better. It couldn't be much heaver.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
epsorenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticspade View Post
I was thinking of making a top that actually sealed well, and perhaps used truck doors instead of the blazer/jimmy doors so the glass would seal well and not leek air/water
for what it's worth...my top is all new rubber, all bolts installed, seals pretty darn good, very little water leakage.

but then again, i'm in so cal, we don't get a tremendous amout of rain anyhow.

71 Blazer K5

Last edited by epsorenson; 11-29-2007 at 04:16 PM.
epsorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
arcticspade

As far as the panels fading because of different exposure to the sun I'm not to worried. It only takes me about 10 minutes right now to switch doors but I haven't added power windows or anything so there are no cables for me to disconnect.

I have all of my new weatherstrip awaiting install, and that might make the seal good enough, that is true. But I was kind of hoping for a really good seal in case of poor weather. I live in Idaho and granted its not rainy in the summer... at all in fact. But during the winter, and especially this year, it seems like we've been getting a lot of rain.

I also would still like to be able to address the sag issues. The rig that I'm hopping to do this for will be a trail getter once a week or so but also a daily driver. I would really like the top to be able to take more abuse without the worry of hurting the fiberglass.

Then again i might just be a glutton for punishment and feel the need to start a crazy project.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
mister.freeze

I've got plans to build one soon (if the !@#$ tranny guy would give it back to me!). 2-piece, Plexi windows, aluminum frame, and polyethylene roof. A few cosmetic changes, but should be good.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I'm thinking the regular doors would help with the top strength issue, but really don't know how you would go about it. Unless you went with the Sub top idea. Maybe you could make mold from the leading edge of the old top to get the windshield area to seal right, then modify the door openings to accept the door tops?

I'd love to attempt something like that, I just don't have the ability right now. I'll be watching to see what you do though! Keep us updated!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
arcticspade

I was thinking of cutting a truck top!? Perhaps thats a stupid idea, I'm not sure yet. mister.freeze can you describe your top more extensively? I need all of the advice I can get. Thanks again guys
Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticspade View Post
I'm thinking about trying to make it out of something lighter than the fiberglass tops that wouldn't sag like they tend too. Perhaps aluminum or carbon fiber (painted of course, I'm not going for the import look).
Build one out of CARBON FIBER, then after you find out all the problems with it, then build a second one. Then sell the second one to me! I would LOVE to see one built out of CF. I'm sure it can be done, and it would definitely be lighter. Cost would be an issue. I agree, I would lkeep it the same shape as the original top and paint it as well.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Build one out of CARBON FIBER, then after you find out all the problems with it, then build a second one. Then sell the second one to me! I would LOVE to see one built out of CF. I'm sure it can be done, and it would definitely be lighter. Cost would be an issue. I agree, I would lkeep it the same shape as the original top and paint it as well.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
arcticspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
My friend is good with CF so I think it should be fairly easy, or at least that part. The biggest issue I expect is the front where it mates to the windshield frame. If it actually goes well and works ill make sure i get proper measurements so I can pass it on so you guys can give it a shot if you want. For that matter CF would be light enough to ship... hmmm makes me think... that could be dangerous
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
TonyJohnson

I was thinking that someone could fab up an open-back, half top that could mate to a conventional truck topper. If you could find the right topper, it might be pretty cool.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #12
vtblazer

Definitely an interesting idea but the undertaking could/would be enormous.

Couple thing's I'd like to throw in:
#1-Lighter is good but improbable IMO.
If you built a top designed to take wheeling abuse, it won't end up being any lighter than a stock hard top.
#2-Changing the doors will get old fast but you could always do a jeep style quick release hinge I guess.
#3-What about a removable upper loop for the doors?
Instead of changing out the doors, install the "winter" door metal that will seal tighter to the new top. (not the biggest issue IMO though)
#4-Mating to the windshield frame will be challenging at best.

Why not modify a stock top to meet your demands?
Address all the issues you don't like and need improvements and work from there?
Keep all the good attributes and change the rest.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
jaros44sr

Not sure the window channel is a good idea, been wrong before, seems like GM had the thought of the glass sliding over the seal. We all know how these bodies bend and flex, the glass could bottom out in the channel and shatter. It only seats in a 1/2". Not much margin of error.

Maybe I missed your point, and your saying to mount pickup doors. Then it seems the door channel could get wedged in the top area. Heck, I don't see where a little water or air is a big issue. Nature of the beast, I've had convertibles since HS and you just live with it, and keep an eye on things.

Just seems easier to build up the area on the hardtop where the seal mounts

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 12-04-2007 at 10:42 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
mister.freeze

Explain in deatil? Kinda tough, but I'll try. I've got the part that mates to the windshield cut from another top, and this will make a flange mount. I'm making a wingstyle rollbar the shape of the top behind the front windows. The back half will pretty much be a camper top that butts to the wing, but in the shape of the original. the roof will come down to about where the top of the original windows are, and the sides will be plexiglass. The back hatch will be a single piece of plexi. Not sure if the front part will be 1 piece or a t-top yet.