The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
ChrisDollins

68 GTO Project

I haven't had a muscle car of any sort in about 4 years, so I've really been itching for something. Although, I was really looking for something already running, I have a soft spot for 68-72 A-Bodies. Dad called and said he bought a car that I may be interested in. I got excited when he said "cheap" and '68 GTO, but got nervous when the next sentence was "we're going after the final load here in a few". Haha.

Little bit of a back story on the car, the guy Dad bought it from has had then car since the 70's and is the second owner. Car was built in CA and he lived in Long Beach. Kinda cool I thought. We got a couple pictures of the car back then together. He actually brought it to AR probably 25-30 years ago. About 15 or 20 years ago Dad tried to buy the car while it was still mostly resembling a car. Well, I guess the guy was planning on a big time build, because he tried to unbolt everything he could get to. And then while talking with Dad said that he's had several people say they want it, but he never sees any cash. Said a price and Dad picked it up.

My plans are to really go through all of the boxes and find what actually goes to this car, I've found parts from at least two other rigs, and see what I don't have. I'm not doing a high dollar or correct build. Honestly just going to get it back on the road as quick as possible and upgrade from there. Hopefully have the front clip back on it soon. Have to condense the mess lol. Anyways, I'll post the horrific pictures for you to see haha. It's not for the faint at heart lol.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
ChrisDollins

Re: 68 GTO Project

The first picture is the way my wife saw it for the first time. I haven't drug a "pile" home since we've been married, so this is all new to her lol. Her first words were, "No, right? You can't want that... right"? Needless to say, I fell in love with it immediately. Haha

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
ChrisDollins

Here is everything but the short block and factory block loaded up headed to the shop. Much harder to move one that's in a million pieces.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
ChrisDollins

And here it is sitting in the shop. I have to get a few things organized before it can be moved backwards into its spot. But I did get a chance to go through the boxes and get everything split that goes to this car lol. I'll get some better pictures when I get back down there.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
ChrisDollins

A little bit of info on the car. It was green with a black vinyl roof and suppose to be a factory 4 speed. I haven't found the build sheet yet, so the only info I have is from the body tag. It came with the original (suppose to be) block. The guy at some point put together a short block in a different block. All of the receipts I have found are mainly 1992 and 1994. So needless to say, it's no going right in haha. I would prefer to get the factory block machined and use it instead. But who knows. It has the hidden headlights, and all of its hardware is there (albeit crusty). It came with decent seats, but they are high backs out of something else. Will probably try to work a trade, or just throw then in. Anyhow, here are a couple pics of pictures the guy had of back when it was together. Kinda sad..

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
raggedjim

I've always liked Pontiacs. I always had Trans Am's and my buddy had goats, one was a judge. Does it have an engine? Is it a 400?

I have a '73 Firebird that is getting the T/A treatment (can't afford a real T/A anymore!)

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Love the Poncho bud!!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
ChrisDollins

This is my first "real" Pontiac. The other two were 4th gens ('01 WS6, '01 Firehawk). It comes with a stripped block that is suppose to be the original block to the car. Then an assembled short block with who knows what parts. Still have to do some research. Both are Pontiac 400's. It came with a set of heads, haven't looked up the numbers or anything on any of them yet. Definitely staying Pontiac for sure. Have to find a car 4 speed as well, it came with a some sort of auto.

Chris
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
raggedjim

Good deal, I'm going 400 with a 4 speed in the firebird (even though I'm getting a lot of push toward a LS, there's something about those torquey old ponchos)...

Rg

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
ChrisDollins

Awesome! I love the LS engines, but I prefer my old rigs to stay old lol. They just seem to lose so much character when they get a bunch of new tech stuff.

Do you have a build thread for your Firebird? I'd like to check it out. I need to learn all I can about these Pontiac engines. Looks a lot different than a normal SBC lol.

Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #11
raggedjim

Not yet, I'm trying to get my jimmy running first.

Make sure you get a guy who knows pontiacs to rebuild it. They are not the same as sbc's.

Good luck, Rg

'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
Old 07-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
ChrisDollins

Definitely not the same for sure! Pretty cool though.

I took a quick look at the blocks today. The short block shows to be a 73 Y4 400 .030 overbore. The bare block that is suppose to be original to the car is a 68 400 WT block. The cylinder walls don't look very good, but would clean up with an over bore if it's not already too far. The heads are '68 heads and look to be 72-75cc. With the rebuilder pistons, I don't think it would make any compression lol. I'm hoping the crank is the one pulled from the WT block and will have the place for the pilot bearing. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with these two, but one of them is going in haha. Might just finish putting together the Y4 and throw it in for the time being while the WT gets rebuilt with the right parts. Or have the WT machined and buy new pistons and swap everything else over. Anyhow, here's a couple of pics.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
flashed

Im in to see this ,I have always been a Pontiac guy ,have had lots of Trans Ams over the years and still have one .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #14
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Going to be a cool little project, for sure.

The neat thing about Pontiacs is you can get all the info on your car from PHS.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Going to be a cool little project, for sure.

The neat thing about Pontiacs is you can get all the info on your car from PHS.
No way! That would be cool. I haven't been able to find a build sheet. Where do I go to get the info?

Chris
Old 07-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #16
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
No way! That would be cool. I haven't been able to find a build sheet. Where do I go to get the info?

Chris
Here ya go

http://www.phs-online.com
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
Advanced Design

Cool project and interesting back story. I am in to tag along.

Nice what looks like a 55 there in the background.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #18
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Thanks! Definitely getting that ordered. It won't change the build, but I would really like to know.

Chris
Old 07-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #19
ChrisDollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Cool project and interesting back story. I am in to tag along.

Nice what looks like a 55 there in the background.
Thanks! Hoping to actually get some work done to the car soon.
That's Dad's 55. The two engines are still in his shop. The 55 is waiting on its spot at the body shop. I'll see if I can find a picture or two of it.

Chris
Old 07-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
ChrisDollins

Couple pictures of Dad's 55. They aren't really recent pictures, but it's pretty well the same. Just waiting on the body shop.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #21
Mil-Spec

Good Luck. Heckuva project you've got there, but well worth it. Ask me how I know.

Mine was originally Verdero Green with a parchment Interior. Hopefully you're lower valence is in good shape. Good ones are hard to come by.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97

Last edited by Mil-Spec; 07-18-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Mil-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #22
ChrisDollins

Beautiful car!! Wow! The valance is in decent shape actually. I think it was bought, don't think it's original to the car. Looks like a little damage due to handling probably, but definitely fixable.

Chris
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #23
Mil-Spec

Thanks. Yeah, the's what we had to do. Originally when purchased the car came with a 69 Lemans valence on it. I found an original at a swapmeet but it was RUFF!!! So much so it just hung on the garage wall. Then we tried a fiberglass replica from PY but it never fit correctly. About 3 years ago the car went to get professionally painted and we decided to put a proper valence on it. After searching and searching at the time there were none to be found. So a master craftsman at the body shop tweaked and welded for a ridiculous amount of time until it was as clean as whistle.

If you're into the history of your car then definitely drop the coin to get the PHS documentation. Mine was one of the last 68's produced up in Detroit and then sold out of a Dealer in Chicago. I have a 66 GTO that was built Nov 1965 in Cali and sold in Mesa AZ.

U.S. NAVY 97-05
USAF 94-97
Mil-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #24
ChrisDollins

In an effort to try and figure out what I have and how it is all suppose to go together, I thought I'd bolt the front clip on. I bought a front end sheet metal bolt kit from NPD since all of the bolts and screws are missing. Anyhow, man that endura bumper is going to be hard to get lined up. Glad I played with it all before it was painted. Wasn't sure how the mode of operation happened. I don't have the hood latch assembly. The one I do have is apparently off something else. Maybe he tossed that when he drilled the hood for pins.... The hood hinges were right though. Valance is going to need a little work to sit right, but I kind of expected that. But, it does look like a car now lol. Maybe I can squeeze in a few hours of shop time this weekend as well.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
ChrisDollins

Trying to learn as much as I can about the sheet metal up front. I thought the endura bumper would bolt to the fenders, but apparently not. If you went with solid body bushings it might would be ok. Anyhow, I think there's a bracket to the upper middle of the valance that I'm missing. Not sure why, but the nose cone, drivers fender and hood are different colors. Passenger fender looks original to the car. The trunk lid is off of a Lemans. It has the "PONTIAC" letters and is white underneath. Anyway, just making sure everything is going to line up and work before I spend any time on them. I'll get more pictures once I get to spend more time making them fit.

Chris