The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
wwotr

Truck covers. What do you use?

As Summer is winding down, I'mlooking to purchase a Truck Cover for my 72 GMC Fleetside Shortbed.
I was wondering what some of you use, where you bought it, the Cost and how it performs.
Unfortuntley with a 290SQ FT Garage, its just big enough for our 2 Motorcycles and nothing else.

My Truck will be outside all Winter. Temps lows are around 19 degrees, but average around 30 in the Winter. We do get Snow about 6 times a yerar but burns off in a day or 2.

With all that in mind, let me hear what you use.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Re: Truck covers. What do you use?

I bought a "wolf" brand car cover off of Amazon. The material was nice, it didn't mildew, and it was resonably priced (around $100). However when the winter winds came (30-60mph constantly) it got ripped to shreads. Overall it was a good product, but like everything else, the wind killed it.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
capev86

better to put your money into a good all weather shelter. and a cover doesn't protect against the worst source of rust out....moisture coming up from the ground.....the cover will only trap that moisture, no matter how well it breathes. find a high dry place and put a small tarp down to block most of the moisture hitting the under body. even a structure to hold the cover away from the body would be a good idea. i will probably put my truck in storage for a couple months because i have a very humid driveway with the septic system right next to it. maybe i will pour a slab and put a GOOD car shelter over it, but i really need to build a garage.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
better to put your money into a good all weather shelter. and a cover doesn't protect against the worst source of rust out....moisture coming up from the ground.....the cover will only trap that moisture, no matter how well it breathes. find a high dry place and put a small tarp down to block most of the moisture hitting the under body. even a structure to hold the cover away from the body would be a good idea. i will probably put my truck in storage for a couple months because i have a very humid driveway with the septic system right next to it. maybe i will pour a slab and put a GOOD car shelter over it, but i really need to build a garage.
All very good points.
But because the Economy (and my Pocketbook SUCK), I'll be reserved to parking it in our Driveway that has 4" of Blue Shale and throwing a Tarp underneasth of it with a Car Cover on top.
Our driveway is like a 10% grade, so the water/snow runs away from under the Truck.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

For what it's worth, I also have a Wolf. I got it from Classic Parts. This is the 4 layer one though. It's real thick. I believe it was $189.00. I have only had it about three months though, so I can't tell about how long it will last.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
68Lowrider

California Car cover seems to be the best around the black soft weave is about as good as it gets,,,,,
68Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
lilred67

i use a california car cover on my '67. even though it stays in my shop, i use it to keep dirt/dust off of it. they have different grades of materials form dust covers to extreme weather. mine cost around $300.00 shipped but is one of the best covers i have seen.
Attached Images

lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote