The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
Possmguts

Vintage Steel Visor...

So I ran across this the other day and bought it...
Has anyone installed one of them or seen a build thread with the installation of one they can point me to?
Its not as straight forward as one would think... Just looking for tips.
Attached Images

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Vintage Steel Visor...

I have never seen one for our trucks but I like it.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I have never seen one for our trucks but I like it.
The guy bought it over 25 years ago and still had it in the box.. the instructions were shredded....

Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive only seen em in fiberglass

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ive only seen em in fiberglass
Me too.. and I don't care for the look those give. I have been all over google looking for one like this, not even knowing if there was ever even one made, for a while with no luck. Fired up Craigs List and there it was... an hour away... Only one I've ever seen, and its for 67-72... my lucky day I guess

Still, its gonna take some tweaking to get it to fit right.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Those were made by J&J Enterprises. They made them in chrome or primed. They fasten using nutserts and stainless button heads. The split in the sides is for the drip rail. You don't need instructions, pretty simple to install. Looks like you have it figured out

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-20-2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: figured, not figures
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
undertaker72

nice
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Those were made by J&J Enterprises. They made them in chrome or primed. They fasten using nutserts and stainless button heads. The split in the sides is for the drip rail. You don't need instructions, pretty simple to install. Looks like you have it figures out
No spacers or brackets under it? Surely its not made to be in contact with the roof or pillars?
I think Ill make some nylon tube spacers if thats the case.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Nope. Just like the fiberglass ones, it just bolts on. The nylon washers are a good idea. The louvers and step in the center relieve air pressure and it's plenty rigid w/o brackets.
I had ordered a chrome one for my '70 C/30 work truck back in the late-80s. The listing said 67-72 C10-30. Well, not if it has clearance lamps and all dual rear C/30s do...and most were dual rear. Not to mention the lamps were an option on any 10-30. I returned it for a primed one since I had to cut into it to make work. They made me pay the return shipping as if I had ordered the wrong part. I disagreed, they wouldn't budge, so I sucked it up and paid rather than be stuck with a useless part. Well, they sent my unpainted one and I put it in the barn. A few days later I came home and thought I was experiencing deja vu. Leaned up in the same place was another one. It wasn't deja vu, it was good karma for being the one to give in to those butt heads and bad karma for them. So like man, I stashed that one and checked the stars that night to see what was aligning to cause these good vibes and even checked my horoscope...man.
I decided I wanted to keep the body stock on the C/30 and had two stashed. Flash forward a few years and I bought a '70 C/10 for one of my guys to run. I put a Reading steel work cap painted Medium Olive to match and while I was at it painted one of the visors because I thought it would look tough with that combo (cap was cab-high). I just did sell that freebie a few years ago to a member in Oregon who posted he was wondering if there were any visors made for these trucks other than the Lunds (that were designed for Fords)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-26-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Willie Makeit

funny how some look at stealing from others as good karma. says a lot about a person.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
funny how some look at stealing from others as good karma. says a lot about a person.
Let's not get critical, it's not stealing when they send you two. It's a gift, never look a gift horse in the mouth.....lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
michael bustamante

I never even thought of a steel visor. that will look good body colored
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
pat english

Lucky!..I have a fiberglass one and i just used screws to hold it on.
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
JPsChevy

I would love to find one of those!!! Pretty cool.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Funny how some don't know tongue and cheek when they read it. Funny how someone will pass judgement on a person at a single glance when all they are doing is making an ass out of themselves because they won't find a more honest person. Says a lot about a person. I come here for enjoyment. Did you enjoy making that post? I figured since they made me pay triple shipping on their mistake (almost equaled cost of item), they would expect me to pay to ship their second mistake a fourth time. But I was wrong, they said keep it when I contacted them. I meant them making a mistake that cost them a visor was their bad karma for wrongfully making me pay the return shipping as well as paying to ship one I could alter. I even asked them specifically if it would work with factory clearance lamps originally.

BTW, I've had people talk to me about my trucks while buying gas for decades and have enjoyed talking with them each time. I'm just a friendly truck loving kind of guy

Tim

Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #16
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Funny how some don't know tongue and cheek when they read it. Funny how someone will pass judgement on a person at a single glance when all they are doing is making an ass out of themselves because they won't find a more honest person. Says a lot about a person. I come here for enjoyment. Did you enjoy making that post? I figured since they made me pay triple shipping on their mistake (almost equaled cost of item), they would expect me to pay to ship their second mistake a fourth time. But I was wrong, they said keep it when I contacted them. I meant them making a mistake that cost them a visor was their bad karma for wrongfully making me pay the return shipping as well as paying to ship one I could alter. I even asked them specifically if it would work with factory clearance lamps originally.

BTW, I've had people talk to me about my trucks while buying gas for decades and have enjoyed talking with them each time. I'm just a friendly truck loving kind of guy
Well said Tim...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #17
BigMike

Quote:

"i don't care about the truck you used to own back in the day. i am trying to pump gas in my truck. leave me alone please."
We don't need that crap on here or your bad attitude.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
Possmguts

Well, this used to be a place one could post up stuff and not get called names and guys didn't act like angry school girls attacking each other.

I was told a little while back I had no right making posts because I'm not a paid member, even though I have bought parts from members. SMH... I dont plan on paying until I have enough parts to post for sale when the truck is done....

Yes its a cool visor, and will get painted the body color, but I do plan on making some sort of brackets to mount it with. I dont care for how it gets mounted so close to the painted surface of the roof.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
n33k0

I've seen similar visors on older trucks and always wondered if there was a visor made for our 67-72s. I think it looks pretty neat. Do you have pictures of the whole truck with the visor in place?
n33k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #20
tommys72

Some people on here are just destined to have ignorant posts every time, like a permanent crappy attitude....

Anyway, the visor looks good there. Should look good painted

Last edited by tommys72; 10-20-2015 at 02:42 PM.
tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #21
slomotion
Old Duffer

The only caution I would throw out concerning the brackets is before they are permanent make sure they don't whistle going down the road. Don't know how your going to test them ahead of time though.
When I built small boats I used to deliver them on brackets fastened to the roof of my van. If I didn't get the boat just right on the brackets there would be a moaning sound start at about 50 MPH and it would get loud about 65. (Just like blowing across the top of a soda bottle.) All I had to do was tie a rag in a knot to the after bracket to disturb the air flow and it would go away.
Anyway, I said all that to suggest you fab your brackets with the idea in the back of your mind to have some method to disturb the air flow if they whistle. (Doesn't have to be a rag)

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33k0 View Post
I've seen similar visors on older trucks and always wondered if there was a visor made for our 67-72s. I think it looks pretty neat. Do you have pictures of the whole truck with the visor in place?
not yet bud.. truck is still apart... gonna be a while yet

Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
The only caution I would throw out concerning the brackets is before they are permanent make sure they don't whistle going down the road. Don't know how your going to test them ahead of time though.
When I built small boats I used to deliver them on brackets fastened to the roof of my van. If I didn't get the boat just right on the brackets there would be a moaning sound start at about 50 MPH and it would get loud about 65. (Just like blowing across the top of a soda bottle.) All I had to do was tie a rag in a knot to the after bracket to disturb the air flow and it would go away.
Anyway, I said all that to suggest you fab your brackets with the idea in the back of your mind to have some method to disturb the air flow if they whistle. (Doesn't have to be a rag)
yeah, that is a concern of mine... dont want any whistle for sure. Thanks

Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

There was no turbulence felt or sounds created by the one I had on the '70 Custom/10 I had. It's a nice rigid design

Tim

Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Surprise surprise (think Gomer Pyle), it's Christmas in October. I was digging into some of my Harley parts stash in one of my parts attics for a swap meet Sunday and guess what I came across? I reached back in one dark corner to see if anything was back there and there was nothing....but the package of hardware with instructions from the extra visor J & J sent me! There was also just the instructions from the first visor folded up with the packet. They must have slipped off the end of the shelf in the corner. There is one simple bracket for the center Ihad forgotten about. Hey, it was 25 years ago. Gmme a break.

Tim