The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #26
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil....users?

My 72 goes through the oil. I bet a quart every 300-400 miles. Seems MMO might help. Maybe I'll drop some in before the next oil change.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
wpavlis

I used it recently to free up stuck zerk fittings on my front end.
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #28
Eddie H.

I like it cause it smells good
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #29
Custom 68

I tried it in my ls motor that had the dreaded tap tap tap from the lifters. I didn't see any change. I am planning on changing the lifters out over the winter to fix that noise. Some of the 5.3 are prone to it. I didn't figure it would hurt but I didn't see any help after the fact.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #30
mike16

transmission fluid is also a good solution to certain stuck lifter problems.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #31
In The Ten Ring

Now that I have tested my truck's lights (most of them work) I will be changing oil, perhaps today.

Thinking about putting in 3 quarts of Valvoline 10W-30 and 1 quart Marvel's Mystery Oil before starting (she has not run in 12 years). 74K on odometer. What do you guys think?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #32
trkfrmr

A guy I know uses it all the vehicles in his collection,he has eight or ten.If he stores a car and doesnt plan on starting it for a while,he dumps a can down the carb until engine quits,then turns key off.He says it keeps carb and valve seals from drying out.
trkfrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #33
scooterpimp

I use mmo in my mower for a fuel stabilizer , & it works great on stuck engines that sat too long. Mmo & pb blaster mix in cyl. Frees up stuck rings/pistons in old 2 stroke engines too. Just my 2 cents.
scooterpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #34
mike16

pb blaster or wd40 work to unstick a motor. so will diesle.

diesle and 30 wt will preserve a motor that will be sitting for more than 6 months when poured down the spark plug holes. but it will coat much more when filled up and topped off at the carb level

aircraft engines may often sit for 9 months or longer with out running. they can cost anywhere from 30k for a base 4 cylinder on up to well over 130K. Both Lycoming and Continental have a fuel supplement that, when mixed with fuel and run in the engine will coat the internals and protect them during long periods of down time.

30K plus engine, factory reccommended fuel suppliment, approved by the FAA, about as expensive as a quart of Marvel Mystry Oil. Not a mystry and nothing to marvel at.

the good thing about that marvelous mysterious "oil" suppliment is that is gives you a psychological advantage when you need it. Thats why winning racers almost universally use it as a winning edge.

Since it contains vegetable oils... does anybody drink it too?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #35
gator2511

Talking Re: Marvel Mystery Oil....users?

I've been using MMO for 57 years. It unsticks lifters and cleans the engine. Once a year I substitute it for a quart of oil at oil change time. When I pulled the heads on my 72 K10 to install vortec heads and a comp cam kit the lifter valley looked like a new engine! My Dad used it for years. He used to pour it slowly down the carb. with the engine running and it makes tons of smoke. He swore it lubed the valve train and that's when I started believing in it. Works for me!
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #36
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I usually pour a little down the carb on my vehicles at a fast idle then shut them off when I pack them away for the winter. It lubes all the cylinder's and they always fire right up in the spring.
Same here also use 2.5 oz for every 10 gallons of fuel at every fill up.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:36 AM   #37
mike16

will somebody pass me the cool aid.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #38
WIDESIDE72

I used some in the oil of my 70 Longhorn to quiet a noisy lifter. I also have to use it in the gas of my farmall tractors to keep the carbs from flooding and help smooth the engine idle due to the ethanol in gas now.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #39
bennylava

I don't know what it is, but I never trusted that stuff. I don't like any "mystery" when it comes to taking care of my engines lol. The mystery part has an air of that old time snake oil type of thing. Where the tins all made these great claims about how their product was basically magic. I imagine porky pig telling you how great bacon is for the heart haha. I want to know all about what I'm doing when it comes to my engines.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #40
stepbox

I've used this stuff for years,I have a 53 ford flathead hotrod I use it on a regular basis ,in the oil, in the gas tank small amount in the carb.Helps keep everything clean,stops valve noise.Great stuff
stepbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #41
leddzepp

Works great for quieting down a noisy lifter, this so called “band aid” has lasted for years now Some people don’t like easy fixes, they have to make everything difficult

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #42
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Sure sounds great. Think I'll add a quart before the next oil change on my oil-loving C-20, and a 1/2 Qt. or so with fresh oil.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-23-2017, 11:26 PM   #43
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Sure sounds great. Think I'll add a quart before the next oil change on my oil-loving C-20, and a 1/2 Qt. or so with fresh oil.
I wouldn't expect too much. While MMO is great at unstickung things like lifters, if your engine is burning or leaking oil it won't help with that.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #44
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Could help free up a stuck ring if that's the problem ^^^

I think some people get hung up on the name. I take the "mystery" part with a grain of salt and enjoy a fantastic product that does much of what it claims and probably better than anything else out there, no matter what they call it. There are over a half a century of testimonials for proof it's more than snake oil. Is there a product on the shelves in a can at your parts store that isn't a mystery of what the contents actually are or what it is that makes the product do what it claims? What is Liquid wrench? I've poured out the whole can and never saw a wrench. What's in Kroil? Creep? PB Blaster? How about Sea Foam? I thought sea foam in an engine ruined it. It's just a name. These are all ready-mixed concoctions that most anyone could duplicate IF we knew the proportions and ingredients. Same as those taco seasoning packets we use. I'm sure the FAA wants to see a plane engine torn down and parts replaced rather than risk endorsing an easy fix. We're talking flying here, not breaking downing on the side of the road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-24-2017 at 09:26 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #45
truckster

I hadn't considered a stuck ring. It might help - it's certainly not going to hurt, and it's inexpensive enough that it's worth a try. I'm just saying it's not MMO's fault if it doesn't help with oil consumption. I'm a big fan of MMO - I always have a quart on the shelf for when I need it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #46
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I wouldn't expect too much. While MMO is great at unstickung things like lifters, if your engine is burning or leaking oil it won't help with that.
I wouldn't imagine it would. I don't know engines, but if anything, seems you'd be more likely to use more. The engine is tired IMO. If it was a good build, I'd guess it's on it's last 20K. It runs well though, no clicks, clanks or smoke. I figure MMO may extend some life.

My other 402 ran like a top before I put her to sleep. 40K on it, oil always crystal clear and not a drop added between changes. I'm thinking on the maiden voyage, which will have been 2-3 years, I may use that MMO. Perhaps not with the first start, but shortly thereafter. Not sure I'll run it for long though. See what happens.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 AM   #47
El Dorado Jim

I like MMO and I also like Sea Foam, and Berrymans Chemtool, I use them all ...not snake oil, just good stuff....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #48
skytop

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil for about the last 35 years. I always break in new engines with the magic elixir for perfect piston rings and valve seals. Also keeps valve and rocker noise down (Especially with my solid lifter engine.) Afterwards, I will add it at every oil change.
I miss the metal cans Marvel used to use before the plastic bottles arrived.

Last edited by skytop; 10-27-2017 at 11:33 AM.
skytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #49
bhayes1

For those of you that add it right before you change your oil...do you just run it a little over full or drain some prior to adding it? I've got a noisy lifter in a 292 and want to give it a whirl.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #50
davischevy

I wouldn't run it over full.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote