The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
blue22bomber

Suburban tank in truck

I have a 1979 k20 and was looking to install a suburban tank in the back. Does the 31 gal or the 40 gal tank work best? Is there any cutting I have to do to install it or is it bolt in?
Posted via Mobile Device
blue22bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Suburban tank in truck

Both work with about the same issues. Just the 40 gallon hangs lower.

You will need to remove the bed, and fab up cross braces. So the tank straps can hang from, but also pull the tank up against. After you remove the spare tire holder.

You will need to notch the frame for the filler neck. Then fab a fill cap in the back side of the bed.

Your bolt on class 5 tow hitch may have to be modified.

Then move you fuel lines to there no home. I just used 20 foot of fuel injection grade 3/8ths hose. As I had to make sure it was done that day.

It is a bit involved, but I did one in a day by myself. I went with a 40 gallon tank for my K20 as I planned to do exploring with it. Then i had a chance to trade for it, and went that way.

The tank hung down a bit, but wasn't that bad. I fabricated my hitch at that point, and square tube bumper that was tucked up higher. When I did it I put the hitch on in such a way as to protect the tank if i backed into something low, and give me options for a better skid plate. As when I bought my new tank I planned to double it up for safety. So I tracked down a old used tank for cheap, and cut the bottom off of it. I cut the top off which I didnt want, and then cut it width wise in 1/2. I glued it on to my new tank with JB weld which worked very well for me in the past with oil pans. That way if you smack something it doesn't just puncture the tank, and or bend it it till cracks..
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote