The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
w00dst0ck

C30 Western Chassis 3” Drop Spindles

Figured I would post this for anyone looking into buying them.

Purchased from Summit on Thursday, arrived Friday. Sweet right?

Immediately noticed the tie rods need to be inserted in the spindles upside down. No biggie.

Went to test fit it on my ‘65 c30 1 ton, and noticed the tie rod taper was considerably smaller than my original drum brake c30 tie rod end. I’ve never seen a c10/20/c30 drum brake tie rod end that’s bigger than a later model 73+ tie rod end.

Ok, must be a fluke?

Luckily we just rebuilt the front end of my brothers ‘82 c30 3+3 Cummins swapped truck and he still had all the old parts. Ran over to his house and picked up a tie rod end to verify my theory.

Same issue. Taper in the new drop spindles is considerably smaller than his stock square body c30 tie rod end (c10/20/30 squares all use the same tie rods anyway). The smallest portion of the taper isn’t even big enough to fit the tie rod through (ie, it won’t even stick out the other side to be able to put a nut on it).

I’m no stranger to this, I had the same issue with a set of McGaughy drop spindles a few years ago (left a review on here as well) where they sold me a 71-72 drop spindle tapered for non disc pre 70. They refused to accept responsibility and/or do anything about it so I just took the reamer to them.

Called Western Chassis, emailed them pictures, measurements and even a 2 minute video. No response all day after they gave me the wrong email address and said they would call me back. And no answer when I called to ask about it.

I’ve built dozens of these trucks and this is the 2nd time I’ve run into the exact same situation now with 2 different manufacturers (who knows they’re probably all made in the same Chinese plant).

At this point It looks like I either have to take the ream to them or send them back. Thank god I bought from Summit this time and they’ve already agreed to return them for free and even pay for the shipping back.

Anyone have any experience with other 3” drop spindles that actually fit?

Little quick video I made of the issue:
https://youtu.be/937uPGV-UgE
w00dst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: C30 Western Chassis 3” Drop Spindles

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dst0ck View Post
Figured I would post this for anyone looking into buying them.

Purchased from Summit on Thursday, arrived Friday. Sweet right?

Immediately noticed the tie rods need to be inserted in the spindles upside down. No biggie.

Went to test fit it on my ‘65 c30 1 ton, and noticed the tie rod taper was considerably smaller than my original drum brake c30 tie rod end. I’ve never seen a c10/20/c30 drum brake tie rod end that’s bigger than a later model 73+ tie rod end.

Ok, must be a fluke?

Luckily we just rebuilt the front end of my brothers ‘82 c30 3+3 Cummins swapped truck and he still had all the old parts. Ran over to his house and picked up a tie rod end to verify my theory.

Same issue. Taper in the new drop spindles is considerably smaller than his stock square body c30 tie rod end (c10/20/30 squares all use the same tie rods anyway). The smallest portion of the taper isn’t even big enough to fit the tie rod through (ie, it won’t even stick out the other side to be able to put a nut on it).

I’m no stranger to this, I had the same issue with a set of McGaughy drop spindles a few years ago (left a review on here as well) where they sold me a 71-72 drop spindle tapered for non disc pre 70. They refused to accept responsibility and/or do anything about it so I just took the reamer to them.

Called Western Chassis, emailed them pictures, measurements and even a 2 minute video. No response all day after they gave me the wrong email address and said they would call me back. And no answer when I called to ask about it.

I’ve built dozens of these trucks and this is the 2nd time I’ve run into the exact same situation now with 2 different manufacturers (who knows they’re probably all made in the same Chinese plant).

At this point It looks like I either have to take the ream to them or send them back. Thank god I bought from Summit this time and they’ve already agreed to return them for free and even pay for the shipping back.

Anyone have any experience with other 3” drop spindles that actually fit?

Little quick video I made of the issue:
https://youtu.be/937uPGV-UgE
The only alternative suggestion I know is Bell Tech.

I used Western Chassis spindles on my square dually w/no issues on the TRE so maybe it's an issue where they skipped a machining station step?? I purchased mine several years ago so it's possible something has changed since as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote