The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #51
CC69Rat

Re: LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan

My 67 year old Taiwanese father in law works two jobs. 4a noon then 2p -9p 7 days a week. One of the hardest working people I know. My Taiwanese wife works for the largest US based insurance company. Perfect quality scores for years. Its not the Asian people or work ethic that produces sub par parts for our trucks, its the QC dept at LMC that buys the parts from the companies that make them.

From the first post.. if that box said 'Made in good ole USA' and it didn't fit, crappy plastic.. would you feel better? Yeah, support american jobs I get it .. not my point or the point of this post. Parts made overseas could be far superior to GM made parts from the 60s and 70s but the QC of the companies buying them to sell to you and I would have to require it.

No offense taken. Good luck in your search for US made repro parts.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #52
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
My 67 year old Taiwanese father in law works two jobs. 4a noon then 2p -9p 7 days a week. One of the hardest working people I know. My Taiwanese wife works for the largest US based insurance company. Perfect quality scores for years. Its not the Asian people or work ethic that produces sub par parts for our trucks, its the QC dept at LMC that buys the parts from the companies that make them.

From the first post.. if that box said 'Made in good ole USA' and it didn't fit, crappy plastic.. would you feel better? Yeah, support american jobs I get it .. not my point or the point of this post. Parts made overseas could be far superior to GM made parts from the 60s and 70s but the QC of the companies buying them to sell to you and I would have to require it.

No offense taken. Good luck in your search for US made repro parts.

I take offense to the point you seem to be trying to make that anyone posted anything bad about the Taiwanese or Asian people , it just not so ! , Companies like LMC use those countries because of the low labor rate and lax EPA rules to bring sub standard parts to market here in the GOOD OL USA , and as far as " your claim of superior parts " I say HOGWASH ! NAME ONE TAIWANESE CAR COMPANY PRODUCING A BETTER PRODUCT ! also searching for REPRODUCTION US MADE PARTS IS UNNECESSARY AS MANY ORIGINAL PARTS ARE STILL IN USE FOR THE LAST 46 YEARS ! and the only people who buy reproduction junk are the I WANT IT NOW CROWD !

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-25-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #53
Codez67Chevy

That is very true. As the parts that I make they have to be held to a very high quality standard and our quality personnel are very through as are the buyer's inspectors as well. As stated above its all about what the buyer will pass as a " good quality " part. Its all about quality standards and the material that they use. And also what they will be willing to buy it for and how much it will cost to produce. Its too bad all of that comes into play for even the smallest things.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #54
CC69Rat

I said the parts could be superior IF the companies buying the parts to sell to you and I would require it. To clarify sir.. If I thought for a second anyone had directed anything at the Asian people the post would be reported. I am simply voicing my opinion.. no different than you Grumpy. Maybe you should re-read the post you quoted.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #55
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
I said the parts could be superior IF the companies buying the parts to sell to you and I would require it. To clarify sir.. If I thought for a second anyone had directed anything at the Asian people the post would be reported. I am simply voicing my opinion.. no different than you Grumpy. Maybe you should re-read the post you quoted.
The post I responded to you talked of your personal families hard working ethics and for that I applaud them , posters are complaining about ill fitting parts not the people of Taiwan , maybe you should re read your post ???? but I will say Taiwan has never made a superior car !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #56
CC69Rat

Perception is not always reality my brother. I was simply making a statement, and at no time did I say Taiwan made a superior car. Wow.

I said the US has a choice of what they allow to market, regardless of where it came from. The US and others have greater technology nowadays to make a product better than what GM made when our trucks were built but the cost would be astronomical. We wouldn't buy it.. why make it? Labor rates, taxes.. etc all keep costs down. China and Taiwan just happen to be where the products can be made the cheapest.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #57
special-K
Special Order

From what I understand, the problem with quality on parts made overseas is getting those who make the parts to produce the quality desired. Quality control happens within the plant,not the warehouse

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-26-2013 at 11:07 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
BlackedOut67shorty

Ok personally I dont care where some of my parts are made as l9ng as they work and do the job they were advertised. I could care less if something is made in the usa cause they can still come with defects. I bought a sticker for my wifes car and we noticed it was made in the usa and we thought cool not something I see everyday and when we pulled it out the sticker was cut wrong and all messed up. Im not trying to say usa stuff is junk. Im trying to say you can get bad apples here too. My door on my 67 is a tiawan door, sure its not as thick as the nos door but it got the job done with a little tweaking. Im just saying tiawan stuff works, if it wasnt for parts made overseas id never be able to afford to build my truck. All that matters to me is that it was made in strausstown pa by me with some parts that came overseas.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #59
Coley

Smile Re: LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan

Very interesting thread...and some great heartfelt points.
For myself...I try to do my part by NEVER entering either a Walmart or a Harbor Freight company (or Target) and buying...well 90% of what they sell which has typically arrived on their loading docks based on VERY cheap labor, usually offshore and when possible cheap local...but cheap nonetheless. This has been employment doom for the average working guy or girl for sure in terms of cost of living vs. quality of life, etc.
Even the ever popular GM Crate engine 350's are coming out of Mexico and their is certainly no lack of enthusiasm about picking those up for a good deal as everyone who is enjoying the crate engine thread knows...myself included.
The 'buy local' angle, which I believe in, would have the potential engine buyer paying a local guy and business to build him a motor...albeit at possibly twice the cost but at least it would be local U.S (or Canada) made and sometimes....well conviction hurts, even in the wallet. LOL
Regardless, by not buying anything from Walmart, Harbor freight (or Target for that matter) I am doing a little bit to try to help the local guys.
My two bits and Best of the Season to all!!
Respectfully
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote