The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
68_GMC

Trailer Brake Control and 7 pin setup help.

I am wanting to install a new style trailer brake controller into my 68 GMC as well as making it safe to pull our 24 foot camper. It will be all new from the controller to the 7 pin hook up at the rear of my truck. If anyone has ever installed one or knows of a full kit please let me know. I have to make my wheel studs longer as well. Me and my son want to use the camper during the Magic Dragon Car Show at the Lake of the Ozarks, MO next year. Main thing I need information on is 7pin and wiring to the dash. I already have a really nice brake controller TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROL in my newer truck that I will switch out when I want to pull the camper with my GMC.

Last edited by 68_GMC; 11-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.
68_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Rick Bollinger

Re: Trailer Brake Control and 7 pin setup help.

I am going to follow this thread I am planning on doing the same thing. I have wired a few of these before in the past but it was the older analog style controllers. I would think these would be the same. And where did you get your hitch? Was it already on your truck?
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
68_GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
I am going to follow this thread I am planning on doing the same thing. I have wired a few of these before in the past but it was the older analog style controllers. I would think these would be the same. And where did you get your hitch? Was it already on your truck?
I made my hitch. It is made to fit inside the frame rails. There are two 1/4 plates inside the frame the hitch is arch wielded to. But the rest is in planning stage right now. I have never wired up a controller before Thats why I was asking here for pointers if anyone had some.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Trailer Brake Control and 7 pin setup help.

What is it you need to know?

Standard hookup for the 7 pin connector.
The #4 is for a battery charging while pulling the trailer are a winch hook up are any 12 volt hook up. You will have to run a seperate wire for it.
Here is a link on this subject also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=598373

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Rick Bollinger

The four wires if I remember correctly the basic brake wires with ground. One red directly to positive on battery. On this one at least 10 ga with 30 amp breaker at battery for power to camper. one for electric brakes from controller. Back up lights. here is a diagram.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Rick Bollinger

on this diagram it shows the 12 volt as a black wire but I think it is suppose to be red. and the center as the back up lights. I will look for a better picture.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
Rick Bollinger

I guess the black is the proper color for the aux 12 volt. This one shows both the female and male ends.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
firedemon

I ran a 7 pin on mine but made my own harness you will have to run 2 wires from the front to the back the red for the aux power and the blue from the brake controller . the red I ran from a keyed source so whatever you have hooked up isn't drawing the battery down when its parked . make sure you add fuses for these its a long run of wire and they can chafe and short you will be glad you did . I zip tied them to the factory harness and used the factory holders going back . the rest of the terminals can be connected right there in the back after the factory connector in the rear crossmember . inside the cab you need to just tie into the brake switch cant remember the color and another keyed power red and black ground

Last edited by firedemon; 11-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
firedemon

rick the one andy posted is standard gm I guess they do that because the black would get confused by most as a ground when ground is white standard on trailers for some reason
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
68_GMC

Thank you all for responding so fast with so much information and diagrams. I will be using this to plan out the wiring harness and the best way to install all of it. I can't wait to start working on this with my son. He is growing up to fast but was taught a lot of things over those years most kids don't even know about. Thanks again, Stephen.

Last edited by 68_GMC; 11-22-2018 at 08:02 AM.
68_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Trailer Brake Control and 7 pin setup help.

If you wanted to they make a tee for the flat plug that you take the factory connection at the back of the truck loose and plug it in. Then all you need to do is buy the 7 pin plug and run the brake wire and the aux wire from up front.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
davepl

I did something close to what Andy describes. From Amazon I got an adapter that split out most of the wiring I needed, then I had to run power (and maybe one other wire, it's been a couple of years). But the splitter/adapter breaks out most of the connections you need nicely.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
68_GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I did something close to what Andy describes. From Amazon I got an adapter that split out most of the wiring I needed, then I had to run power (and maybe one other wire, it's been a couple of years). But the splitter/adapter breaks out most of the connections you need nicely.
Sounds like that is the way to go. Less wires and would keep it nice a clean under there with less wires. Keep the ideas coming because I know I am not the only person out there wanting to do this.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Trailer Brake Control and 7 pin setup help.

At one time Wal Mart carried the tee for this for our trucks. They also carry the adapter 7 pin plug as well.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
projectking

This will get you close. Cut the flat off, add the brake trigger, and power wires and you’re set to wire the 7 pin.

https://m.autozone.com/electrical-an...let/c10-pickup
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote