The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #26
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It is 200 4r by the way, not 200r4.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #27
joelboxt
71 Cheyenne SWB Fleetside

Longhorn, so how do i get the TV cable set right if i take it somewhere then? how do you know if its done right for sure? id hate to lose and transmission over something like that.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #28
flip66

I had a built one in an 88 Monte Carlo SS with a stong 350 it would bark the tires when it hit 3rd gear put 50,000 on it and not a single problem then sold the car.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #29
joelboxt

the more ppl talk about these things the more i want to go out and buy one.. but i need some money if anyone wants to start up a donation thread for me i would apprecite it?

haha

thanks

joel
Old 03-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #30
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

it is easier to show than to walk through, (and I'm a bit rusty....normally do this on allisons these days) but you remove a plug on the side of the tranny, and install a pressure guage. You fire up the engine (at operating temp) and observe the reading. Then, have an assistant place it in reverse...observe reading. Rev to X rpms in reverse...observe the reading again...then do the same in drive.
You compair the readings to the correct readings. The main thing is, you want the line pressure to jump up as soon as the throttle is touched. If it doesn't, then it'll be a paper weight in 30,000 miles...and with no warning usually.
If the readings are off, you can adjust the TV cable tighter or looser, and then retest. If there are still problems, then you need to address the rate of cable pull....think of it as chainging the gear ratio between the throttle shaft and the cable.
This is where bow tie overdrive comes into play. I have heard a couple things about there service now. (spoke to our tranny guy at work today...he's heard of issues with them too) however, the kit they offer is pretty much second to none.
Another thing you'll need is a way to lock and unlock the converter. You can't leave a lock up converter unlocked all the time, it'll slip exsesivly and burn stuff up. Some ppl will do a toggle switch on the dash. It works...but that's kinda crude. Besides, if you forget to disenguage it, it'll kill the motor when you stop....and in a panic stop it'll kill the engine too. And if someoen else drives it not knowing about it...then they will be runnin the tranny real hot.
There is a vacume det up that GM used on the TH350C that I have heard about....and I have heard both good and bad on it.
Then there is the aftermarket....B&M makes a cool one where you can adjust the speed that it goes into lock up from 45 MPH to 100 MPH (not sure on the numbers there...just an example) On that one, it is a set it and forget it. Mount the little black box in the glove box, and forget about it.

This is something I want to do with the caddy longhorn some day.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #31
C10 Club Tennessee

Can anybody give the applications that the 200r4's were in that will work with our trucks. Besides the grand nationals.

thanks,

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #32
Longhorn Man

any mid sized gm through the 80's pretty much.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #33
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Just make sure the bellhousing is a chev or has the dual configuration (two sets of holes)
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #34
joelboxt

what was in the old 442 cutlass's? in the early 70's? 4 barrel 4 speed dual exhaust?

whats 4 speed transmission?

joel
Old 03-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #35
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Found another good link in my favorites that I forgot to put in my other post
This one will tell you what cars to look in.

http://www.geocities.com/ramairgto72...ARD/TRANS.html
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #36
shortymac83
hmm...

they're good transmissions...hell, oldsmobile used them, they must have been good!

seriously though, they're about as strong (or weak) as the 700's, and they've got better gearing. They usually have the BOP bolt pattern though, so you'd have to run an adapter or have one with a chevy bellhousing.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #37
incoma

I'm going to be running a 200R4 behind my 383 also. Bolts where the 400 bolts, and my driveshaft fit right in. I had to monkey with the gear selector to get it just right. I had a piece of plate welded to the side, and I installed a bolt about 1/4" further forward to get the perfect shift connection.

I can even shift it all the way down into D1 with my stock auto column. One thing that makes me wonder about the tranny is that it doesn't have a tailshaft housing. The tailshaft housing is part of the main housing, and I wonder how much of a pain it will be if I have to change out speedo-gears....

I also installed a drain plug in mine. I find those handy. I've got fluid in mine, but haven't driven it yet. I also need to figure out how to get the lockup converter to work... Does anyone here know if it hurts the tranny to not have 12-volt to the lockup converter while driving? I want to get other things tweaked before tackling that guy.

Also, did someone mention that the tv cable should be adjusted using vaccum? I'm still curious about how to get it properly adjusted. The guy I bought mine from said that it's just like adjusting the kickdown on a T350 / T400. You can feel it pull the valve open...just curious. I paid $700 for mine from a guy in Illinois. That included all the kevlar stuff and hi-perf insides and torque converter.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #38
Longhorn Man

You can adjust it like he told you, but you need to drive straight to a shop and have it adjusted propperly with an oil pressure guage. (not vac)
Also, if you go with no lock up, the tranny will slip too much in overdrive. This will create too much heat and kill it.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #39
shifty
Questionable

You might find this article interesting (I'm just find all kinds of crap today!!)

Getting the Best TV Cable Signal
Easy Fix to Get 700-R4 and 200-R4 GM AOD Tranmissions Shifting Right
:

http://www.classictrucksweb.com/tech...ble/index.html

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #40
incoma

Longhorn Man - So the tranny will try to shift into overdrive without the 12 volt hooked up? I see alot of kits that cut the power to the tranny when the brake is applied, or when towing. Do you also have an opinion on those kits?

Thanks.

And thanks for the link Shifty!!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #41
71Longbed
Not Mine But A beauty

ive also heard direct bolt in cept for the tv cable and also if you pick one out of the junkyard and its not from a grand national it cant handle as much horses so i would make sure your tranny shop builds it to withstand the horses you want
71Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #42
Longhorn Man

Coma...I can't say anything about these kits.
I will say however, that the lock up converter needs to disenguage as soon as you hit the brakes, otherwise it will stall the engine and can damage the tranny/converter.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #43
incoma

One last question for the 200 tranny - will it shift into a gear without the tv cable hooked up? I got my engine running the other day, fluid levels look dead on, and the tranny won't go into reverse, drive, or anything. The linkage is right on, and it feels like I'm dropping it into gear correctly - just nothing's catching. I put it in all gears, got the engine up to temp, and the fluid is still ok...do I just have a bum transmission?
Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #44
nevada70chev

good food for thought, i got a th350 now. i have been considering a new tranny, what would a 200 4r cost to rebuild? plus all the other parts to get it installed? thanks.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #45
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Incoma, the TV cable is attached to a valve that controls fluid pressure in the valve body. If it is not hooked up or is adjusted improperly it will allow too much fluid pressure to bypass the valvebody either not letting it go into gear or making it slip. If your cable is not hooked up, the valve may be wide open bypassing your fluid pressure.

I would hook the TV up before you fire it up and run it for any length of time. If the fluid is bypassing then it is not getting to the rotating parts that use fluid for lubrication; and it will burn up quick, even without driving it.

Just my $.02

Last edited by screamin_c102; 04-09-2005 at 03:43 PM.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #46
incoma

Thanks screamin_c10. That's what I was looking for. So it sounds to me that I may have screwed up the transmission by not having the tv cable connected while I was tuning the engine... I'll attach it in a few minutes and see if it shifts into gear. I don't want to pull the transmission out if I don't have to. That's a pain the butt.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #47
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

If you sat there an revved the pi$$ out of it then you may have screwed it up, but the pumpwas probably still pushin' a little fluid up in there. Smell your fluid and see if it smells burnt.

Don't worry too much about that, but don't repeat the process either.

Good luck man, let me know how it turns out.

Last edited by screamin_c102; 04-09-2005 at 04:08 PM.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #48
incoma

I didn't rev it. not more than 1500 rpm - just to get it warmed up so it would idle. I think I've run it about 1 - 1 1/2 hours max. I'm going to go out to the garage now. Thanks again!!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #49
incoma

Well, its not the tv cable. I set the cable so that it was a bit open at idle, and I'm still not getting anything. I guess this guy's going to come out and the T350 back in.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #50
61corv

a very good site.... www.700r4.com , has awesome info and how to's. hope this helps. check on which years are the best to use, this is works for 700r4s too, . it does make a difference.