The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
msgross

Re: Automotive clearcoat on bed wood, how do i get the color?

I would go with a marine grade varnish...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
chipflyer

I liked the Satin look, this is what I used. 4 coats brushed on both sides of the boards required 2 quarts. This stuff can't be sprayed and you must be careful to avoid bubbles.

Jeff
Attached Images

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
gkesseru

You can now get water based satins in any color (actually a dye). My local Benjamin Moore store has a full set of wood dyes. You dye the wood to the color of your choice and then use the finish of your choice.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #29
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipflyer View Post
I wouldn't trust Lowes either. Go to a paint store and get their opinion. I bought the stain and the spar varnish for my wood at the local Benjamin Moore store. The guy even opened 3 different cans of stain and did a few scrap pieces of oak to show me how dark each got. A paint store will without a doubt tell you what products of theirs can be used over others.

Jeff
I emailed them directly, so we will see. ahah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
I would go with a marine grade varnish...
I think Minwax helmsman spar urethane is marine grade. Its just the best i have found so far after doing TONS of reading. ahah..

I was going to go with pelucid with helmsman over that.. Then found out you cant stain under pelucid. So im just going to go with a good stain and tons of helmsman. lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #30
OARNGESI

Can you use a red candy paint to get the tint
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
lyrikz
PITbut

Got some info for you guys if anyone wants to hear. Minwax got back to me and what they recommend on using on truck wood is.

Dear Del, The Wood Finish Stain does not contain UV inhibitors. The stain color willfade quickly once the Helmsman Spar Urethane begins to breakdown. Use theGel Stain and Helmsman Spar Urethane for the best outdoor stain and finishcombination. Maintain the Helmsman Spar Urethane by lightly sanding andre-coating as needed. I hope this helps! Thanks for contacting Minwax. Regards, KimMinwax Product Support

So, looks like i have my combination. lol..

and sold.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #32
Sammy

I used some marine stuff. Mixed a few cans of quality stains to achieve what I wanted on scrap. Then used the quality marine coating on top. Nothing is going to last for ever. However something designed for UV/ sal****er protection has to last longer than what you would get from another source. Talk to a guy who does restoration on boats. Thats where I got my ideas from. They have been dealing with UV and extreme conditions for several years. They know what works and what doesn't. Comparing outdoor furniture coatings or doors to what goes on a boat are different applications.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"

Last edited by Sammy; 01-29-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: sp
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #33
HighwayHum72

i was reading thru this thread and i just have to say that the bed pictures on the previous page are amazing! wow!!! unreal man...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #34
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

I used Bristol Finishes Marine Amber Clear. It is a 2-part mix. I applied 4 coats of that on both sides, ends & edges, then sanded with 400 grit and applied 2 coats of Sherwin-Williams Automotive Ultra 7000 clear, sanded with 400 grit and finished it off with 2 more coats of S/W clear. Alot of work, but it looks good and it is well protected.
I would stay away from the Minwax/Thompson's, etc. Go with a premium Marine finish. You won't be sorry.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #35
AZTowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Whats everyones thoughts on using walnut as a bed floor. The worst thing my bed will see is kids feet...
i am new here, but i have had some experience with wood. i would recommend a hardwood instead of pine. it is much more durable. walnut is very dark brown or black and would be hard to get a red tint. mahogany is a natural red wood and is less expensive that teak. as far as finishes, nothing holds up as well as marine finishes. if it rains a lot your part of washington, moisture will be worse on the truck bed than kids' feet. as noted in posts above, each board needs to be completely sealed (especially the ends). if moisture gets in through the ends, all the hard work is for nothing.

Last edited by AZTowman; 01-30-2010 at 11:27 AM.
AZTowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTowman View Post
i am new here, but i have had some experience with wood. i would recommend a hardwood instead of pine. it is much more durable. walnut is very dark brown or black and would be hard to get a red tint. mahogany is a natural red wood and is less expensive that teak. as far as finishes, nothing holds up as well as marine finishes. if it rains a lot your part of washington, moisture will be worse on the truck bed than kids' feet. as noted in posts above, each board needs to be completely sealed (especially the ends). if moisture gets in through the ends, all the hard work is for nothing.
I would honestly LOVE a hardwood. But 7 dollars a plank compared to 30 dollars a plank its just not in the budget.

and sold.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
Roman

This is what I used: Not rocket science, I just sticked to a wood finish. Select the shade of oil based stain, Minwax carries various shades. Then seal with Minwax Helsman outdoor urethane at least three coats. After it is totally cured dry, you may want to try sand lightly with 1200-2000 sandpaper and buff for a cristal clear gloss.
Attached Images

Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #38
madchopper

I work with wood al the time and the Helman's is an awsome product, I have never shot it before but it works great from a roller. Minwax has about every color you can think of for stainging the wood all types of colors. I have used the Helman's on every outdoor product I make it good stuff. I don't know if you plan on putting anything in your bed but pine is very soft and dents very easy, but it is easy to work with. I fyou can get some pacfic northwest lodgepole pine it has much tighter grain and is more dense then the southern pines, since it growes slower. Just some thoughts.
madchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #39
AZTowman

not sure if it is available in your area, but alder is a hard wood that is very economical. the grain is usually not as interesting and i am not sure what the current price difference is, but check it out. be sure to get plenty of the product you choose on the ends of the planks.
AZTowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTowman View Post
not sure if it is available in your area, but alder is a hard wood that is very economical. the grain is usually not as interesting and i am not sure what the current price difference is, but check it out. be sure to get plenty of the product you choose on the ends of the planks.
I spent two weekends pricing wood. Most economical i found was clear pine. That was still a bit much for me. Being mine will never see water and always garaged i went with pine/spruce. 50 bucks fo 56 feet worth. lol.. With a bunch of stain and a bunch of McCloskey marine grade urethane, i should be fine.

and sold.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
madchopper

Alder is a very good choice for a bed and has a very wild grain, but is a bit more spendy if you want it clear. Pine is good just look for grain that is very close together (rings per inch) in the boards you pick out these closer rings have a stronger and more dense with makes the boards stronger.
madchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #42
amccomb

I am about to start applying product to my pine boards. I decided to go with POR-15 pelucid, I am not sure what to use as a UV protectant top coat? I did research via mark-k. They used helmspare. Any better suggestions that will work with the pellucid?
amccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #43
96blazr

What's the goal here? You want to tint it and then be able to throw stuff in the back without damaging the wood "too much"?
I agree with a lot of the other guys suggestions and look for more of a Marine grade products.
I did mine with Carolina Ash with 2 coats of Minwax Medium-Oak and then 4 coats of the Marine Spar-Varnish. Oh and remember to sand between all coats of Varnish.
Good luck. Post pics on how it goes and the finished product.
Attached Images

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #44
peglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
Im doing my own pine bedwood and i want some red wood color to it. What can i put on the wood that will give me the color but then the automotive clear coat will stick to. I know how to paint metal, but im stumped with wood...
lyrikz your on the right track if you are considering a lumber yard pine id rethink its durabilty #1 but also it will not do red justice. sugar pine weighs about 18 lbs a cubic ft. where as red oak weighs in about 46-48, i may be off a few pounds one way or the other but you get my drift u can see how soft a lumber yard pine is so no mater what finish you use whats under it would be soft therefore not supporting any protective coating. if you like pine try finding a southern yellow pine it has beautiful grain and has been used for flooring in homes and factories for 150 years is salvaged & recycled today in great demand. As far as auto clear coat imho you picked the best, think about it what takes a beating & needs to be flexable more the auto paint? what protects it? ultra violet protection additive & auto clear has a high content.. if thats what you decide thin your first coat 50/50 it will soak in the pors deeper forming a better "sealer" first coat, use aprox. 220 grit sandpaper not by hand but with a block, any block & consider wet sanding with waterproof white paper your final coat shouldbe left alone.
now your color, fitz is right a dye would be best, stains will fill in wood pores a dye coats the walls of the pores accentuating the grain. be carefull i used an automotive blue for the stain on oak once appeared more greenish than blue .
if you decide on a varnish use epifanes http://www.epifanes.com/ used on some of the best yachts in the world for its high UV rating
if you are lookn for a high quality " glass" finish you may try a wood filler to fill the pores & to go one step further color it to accentuate the pore again.

Do a sample first i can give a few more tips if you let me know what you are shooting for show or driver? color matching your body color etc.
perhaps something really trick like sprinkling wet metal shavings on a prepared wood surface let dry blow off the shavings.
i read a comment here once bout sanding down to a 400 grit......no no. you are then polishing the surface, no finer than 220 grit

hope i made some sense its late here & this is my forte,its a blast tricken out some bed wood have fun with its a large part of this project that can make it as sure as it can break it
theres a lotta great tips here like botie suggestion to coat top bottom & edges all with an equal amount of coats<<<<<very important tip.
Attached Images

Last edited by peglegs; 12-06-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: additioal info
peglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #45
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

How bout spar varnish? It's designed for marine apps and weather and you can get it in high gloss. I've used it on the wood in convertable top bows and model a wood in the body with fantastic results. I believe it was a minwax product purchased at a Benjermin Moore store

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #46
lenguini

Are any of the beds in this post exposed to weather ?They all look great but Id be curious if they would last over a 2 year period before peeling and discolouring if not kept in the garage.

I have been doing some research on tung oil.A coat once every 2 years without having to remove the wood to do it.

Mar-k has done extensive tests and results prove there is no product that lasts longterm.

Thoughts anyone ?

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
gkesseru

There is no way that you can have a pretty glossy truck bed that sits out in weather and expect it to last more than one season. The best you can do with an outdoor wooden bed is to think of it as the same as your deck. Go look at deck treatments. Even then, expect to refresh it on a regular basis.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #48
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Look at the boards over on td&ttt. IIRC the Forums are Mikenchell.com.They build teardrop trailers and coat them with a clear waterproof epoxy.They then suggest auto clearcoat for the UV protection. "SPOILER ALERT" If you don't need a small light camp trailer to look good and tow behind your classic rig,just search for wood finish info.

BTW Their forum is a lot like this one.They have about the same rules and expect about the same amount of civility or maybe a little more(less banter amongst members).They tend to be a bit "Green" also.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 06-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #49
lenguini

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Look at the boards over on td&ttt. IIRC the Forums are Mikenchell.com.They build teardrop trailers and coat them with a clear waterproof epoxy.They then suggest auto clearcoat for the UV protection. "SPOILER ALERT" If you don't need a small light camp trailer to look good and tow behind your classic rig,just search for wood finish info.

BTW Their forum is a lot like this one.They have about the same rules and expect about the same amount of civility or maybe a little more(less banter amongst members).They tend to be a bit "Green" also.
Having trouble finding the info...maybe you could post a link to this specific thread ?

Thank you,
Ed.

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
Having trouble finding the info...maybe you could post a link to this specific thread ?

Thank you,
Ed.
I'm pretty sure this is the forum he was referring to http://www.tnttt.com/.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote