The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
BLK96

Re: LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan

Many may disagree, but I will pay more, even double for USA made parts. Had way too many bad experiences with poor machining on CHINESE and India made parts. Some examples: New NAPA waterpump for Ford 460. After installing realized casting for lower hose connection was almost 3/8" too thick for hose. That was fun with a grinder. Made in China. Rear wheel cylinders for 72 Chevy. wouldn't fit in holes in backing plate. Close, but not quite. Made in China. Motor mounts for 79 Bronco 400. Rubber ripped as I tightened. Misaligned in mfg. Made in India. Engine hoist from Big Red. Welded crooked leaned dangerously with a Ford 460. Stopped and exchanged. Made in China. Engine stand Torin, same thing, ENTIRE lot was bad. China. I needed an idler arm and ball joint for a 90 3/4 ton Suburban, Chinese parts at Oreillys were about $90, I paid $190 for MOOG parts and had to wait a day. Worth it to me, and don't plan on keeping the truck forever either. If we always take the cheap option, that's all we will eventually have. Some things we still have the choice. I will not buy a foreign nameplate car for that reason. I don't care where its assembled. The revenues and profits still go overseas. I don't want to be any part of the reason my only option may someday be a Prius.
BLK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
It's all about money....& time. I would love to put all NOS and GM rust free parts on my restoration....my budget will not allow it to happen. If I can make the aftermarket parts work...I will use them. As others on here have said, time spent working on our trucks is part of the fun owning these 40+ year old vehicles. Here on the east coast, most of the remaining 67-72 Chevys & GMC trucks have severe body rot & take major work to make them roadworthy.
I agree to a point... with that being said if you take your time you can usually come up with the OE parts pretty close to what OER would cost you... that is what I did... I would rather spend my time repairing OE parts than fixing the errors in Aftermarket... That is just me... But however it is you enjoy working on these trucks the key is Enjoy it and I am looking forward to seeing your progress... Merry Christmas... Dan
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK96 View Post
Many may disagree, but I will pay more, even double for USA made parts. Had way too many bad experiences with poor machining on CHINESE and India made parts. Some examples: New NAPA waterpump for Ford 460. After installing realized casting for lower hose connection was almost 3/8" too thick for hose. That was fun with a grinder. Made in China. Rear wheel cylinders for 72 Chevy. wouldn't fit in holes in backing plate. Close, but not quite. Made in China. Motor mounts for 79 Bronco 400. Rubber ripped as I tightened. Misaligned in mfg. Made in India. Engine hoist from Big Red. Welded crooked leaned dangerously with a Ford 460. Stopped and exchanged. Made in China. Engine stand Torin, same thing, ENTIRE lot was bad. China. I needed an idler arm and ball joint for a 90 3/4 ton Suburban, Chinese parts at Oreillys were about $90, I paid $190 for MOOG parts and had to wait a day. Worth it to me, and don't plan on keeping the truck forever either. If we always take the cheap option, that's all we will eventually have. Some things we still have the choice. I will not buy a foreign nameplate car for that reason. I don't care where its assembled. The revenues and profits still go overseas. I don't want to be any part of the reason my only option may someday be a Prius.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!... My daily Drivers are Fords... while I know alot of it is built out of the country the end results is the profits go back to Dearborne, MI....
Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
DGulliver

I don't think "anything made overseas" is junk.

I'm certainly not bashing the good 'ol USA here, but consider-in the music recording business, the finest microphones in the world come from Austria and Germany as do our 3 Mercedes cars. Any time I work on one, it's easy to see they're built to the highest quality, assembly and build tolerances. I've had hundreds of collector cars old and newer from all over the world, and I feel the Germans have built cars to the highest standards. Honestly, our beloved Chevy trucks are more akin to tractors by comparison. Some of the best hi-fi gear ever made came from Japan and Denmark. In my experience, the highest quality leather clothing goods come from Italy. If you compare 100 year old American furniture to that built in England in the same time period, you'll see we were much less experienced, even lacking in lots of cases.

I do agree with buying American and doing business locally as much as possible. I have also struggled with the ill-fitting, bad quality parts as you guys have. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to any hard working forefathers from our country, either- the USA over the years has had excellent manufacturing and lots of top quality products as well. I just try to remember "you get what you pay for", do my research and buy accordingly.
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
brad_man_72
the boat guy

For those who think they are being patriotic by buying from an "american" car company. The profits are spent building factories and sending our jobs to different countries, or the ceo buying their fifth house in the cayman islands. Ill take jap junk made in the usa by american workers (who actually do get paid by the way) so did the guys who built the factory, the guys who take out the trash, the guys who ship the cars, the guys who sell the cars and the guys who repair those cars.
The most american car we can buy is a honda or toyota, if they can build cars right here in the usa why can't the big 3, I don't mind sending them the message. Did you know that the first jap automaker set up shop in an abandoned gm factory?
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
BurlyCrew

What are some identifying marks on lets say Fenders, hood, etc that can distinguish whether my parts on my truck are aftermarket or the original OE parts??
BurlyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
Most of the time when you order replacement parts you are unaware until you receive your parts when they were mfg at. Most companies like LMC, Brothers etc. do not indicate where the part you are ordering is mfg in what country. I have looked on CL for some parts but its not everyday someone is going to be listing OE parts for a 68' Chevy C-10. Yea, parts can be dusty here, but that aint nothing, they can always be cleaned. I would rather deal with a dusty part than a rusty part anyday....
You can ask before you buy where it's made. I already know with these repro parts,or should I say I know what few parts "are" made here. But,I ask if I don't know then decide.

Sad but true,it's pretty much impossible to live the way we live w/o buying foreign. You can do your best to avoid it. I do. I've grew up enjoying American and foreign products since the '50s. I mean,I want a cookoo clock from the black forest,not my hometown. But,it's come to our jobs going overseas to save little to none. Things aren't cheaper. The profit margin just expanded.

My '67 GMC project is 100% good used GM sheetmetal. What isn't GM on the rest of the truck is still pretty much all made in USA. Not sure about some things

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
mgchevyparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
But the cell phone and computer we all use didn't come with a MADE IN AMERICA designation ! Our trucks did and I think we should use every option available to keep them that way !

Or buy some stickers that say SOMEWHAT MADE IN AMERICA and stick those in you door jam so we can judge your ride correctly at the show ! Using fake fenders/beds/floors/hoods/etc etc means your not "Restoring" your ride by using out of the box bolt on parts , Your just enforcing the "I WANT IT NOW " mindset . it costs more to restore original metal than buy a new shiny one in a box ! I bought a new CAST IRON Ingersol Rand air compressor yesterday for my '67 build and I could have saved hundreds of dollars buying an aluminum harbor freight or similar brand but for me an American made brand was the answer .
Ingersoll Rand has 67 manufacturing plants world wide, they are not even an American company, they are incorporated in Ireland. That cast iron comp was probably made in China.

Company Facts:

Stock Symbol
Ingersoll Rand is listed as "IR" on the New York Stock Exchange since 1906

Countries
Ingersoll Rand provides its products and services directly or through distributors to customers around the globe.

Locations
As of December 31, 2012, Ingersoll Rand conducts manufacturing and assembly operations in 67 plants world-wide. Ingersoll Rand also maintains offices, warehouses and repair centers throughout the world.

North America Headquarters and Corporate Center
Davidson, North Carolina

Place of Incorporation
Dublin, Ireland

Date of Formation
The Ingersoll-Sergeant Drill Company and the Rand Drill Company merged in 1905 to form Ingersoll Rand.

Last edited by mgchevyparts; 12-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.
mgchevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #34
WIDESIDE72

It took time and work but all of the sheet metal with exception of inner/ outer rockers on my latest truck is oem. Fenders doors hood cowl and tailgate all came from different trucks! Everything else like trim and such is another matter though.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

My Aftermarket Side trim for my 67 was made right here in the USA in Oklahoma City... Most all if not everything that Mar-K sells was made by them in OKC, OK...
Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
DGulliver

There is no doubt that the best parts for these trucks are OEM ones, either used, or NOS if you can find 'em!
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
texjake

Just like that OE window regulator I recently bought at a salvage yard, none of the local autoparts had one in stock & would have taken days to get one from a warehouse. But because I "needed it now" I waited almost 2 hrs at this salvage yard for them to pull & find a correct working one & the fact they charged me for what a new one cost it was all well worth it because when I got home to install it I had no fitting issues at all & it made my job & day go so much smoother. And just like BLK96 stated, its worth it getting the correct fitting parts. It seems that the overseas mfgs tooling just isn't as to near spec as what came out of the US plants back in the 60's & what really sucks is when they re-pop a part that was once a metal part made here it comes from them as a cheap plastic piece of crap. I'm showing my age when things that I used & bought all use to say "Made in the USA" & they were well made too. We felt good about what we built and we took pride in what we built. I do have to say the carpet that I recently purchased from Brothers came from Trim Parts & their box is stamped "Made in the USA". We could go on about this until Dino comes back,(remember Ethyl gasoline?). But we all know when & why it happened and how we lost mfg'n & jobs to overseas workers. It was all about the companies struggling to make a profit to keep the company afloat & could not compete with cheap overseas labor. I saw this all happening as a teenager in 1976 as my dad use to cuss Datsun, Toyota, Honda & Mazda was making their way into our market. And they are the ones that made us having to buy metric wrenches & sockets. And when they talk liter sizes I don't know them, I grew up in the cubic inches size engines! The only liters I know is what my Coke bottles come in....lol
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
7D2N

I used aftermarket parts repairing floors on my blazer and it was way better than the roof tin that was there when I pulled the carpet. I like seeing these trucks on the road. Wouldn't be much to look at without the aftermarket.

7D2N
7D2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #39
Codez67Chevy

Just to let ya all know I'm a machinist. I'm darn glad to make the missiles that protect our great country. All made in the great USA!! As for our truck parts can't say much for them. As others have said cheaper to out source parts.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #40
dan42

I think the whole argument is about quality, not necessarily where the part is from, and that the countries that are manufacturing a lot of these parts are putting out crap to make maximum profit for themselves and the American companies that buy them. Until there is succesful competition from a company that emphasizes quality, they will continue to turn out garbage. It is an evolution, fortunately. If the demand continues to grow and it becomes feasible for someone to make money and a good product, then the crap vendors will be replaced. Hopefully someone will figure it out soon. There are huge differences in original and repop sheet metal at this point.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #41
leftybass209

Not everything made for these trucks overseas is junky or inferior to USA made parts. Not everything made for these trucks in the USA is superior and top notch. There's nothing more American than the ability to purchase or protest a variety of parts from different manufacturers. My suggestion is to search these forums before making purchases unless you have the part in hand. Just about everything that I have purchased has been used with excellent results and recommended by board members.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #42
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
As he types on a cell phone or computer
True statement. So can you tell me which phone company makes phones in the usa and which computer company does the same?

Also, If you can read the post it says clearly "Every chance I get."

Study history. It will indicate that the middle class is what made USA great. Most of the middle class was created by union manufacturing jobs. As they disappear the middle class shrinks and has to scramble for lower paying jobs. Sure wages might have gotten bloated and some people got lazy (communism doesnt work because theres always a guy who doesnt work as hard as the next). However, the parts we need to rebuild these pieces of history could be made here and cost the same or maybe a little more, but the profit for corporations would be smaller.
Like I said its a complicated mess of economics/politics/ and poor education.
Honestly brother I like my Iphone that was made by samsumg and includes ore mined in africa by some poor soul who got to live another day for breaking his back... I am aware. Instead of being a critic take those few seconds to type something creative. Unless you are the 1% you are in the same handbasket.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Dave K.

If the quality is good I really don't care where I buy it or where it comes from. We're in a global economy folks, embrace it or doom yourself to grumbling about things you will never change. Sorry, but that's reality. Enjoy life and your truck. As stated before I travel a lot and these parts keep trucks like ours going all over the world--not just here. You would be amazed where the Chev pickup turns up!
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #44
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

While MAR-K's product line is very limited After looking here for a good quality OE part I go there to look... They manufacture all of their parts in Oklahoma City... At this time their offerings for 67-72 is very limited it is growing... I think they offer a complete Stepside bed... I also talked to them when I picked up my stuff from them and they said they were looking at developing more for fleetside... Their side trim is EXCELLENT and cost less than and of the "big three" Aftermarket companies at 640.00...
Old 12-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
NobleSix

ive ordered some wiring harnesses from LMC a while ago and theyve done the job they were designed to do. i replaced the rear wiring all the way to the firewall and its lasted 5 years or so. i am also running the upgraded headlight harness and its worth the $30 ish i paid. then again im not running any sort of computer controlled LS or some performance minded rig. last time a part from riceland left me on the side of the road was when the dorman choke cable i bought from oreilys slipped out of the bracket.

american parts are for the most part great quality and are what i go for. but rice parts havent put it to me hard enough to just write them off completely. YMMV

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #46
In The Ten Ring

No doubt you guys are more knowledgable than me on this subject but I am of the mind that govt exists (these days) to price the startup guy out in order to protect the big guy who happens to employ lobbyists.

I saw that the other night on "Stossel" on Fox News.

My dad worked in the coal mines for over 20 years and he saw firsthand, how the union literally put his mine out of business. He warned his coworkers: "guys, if we don't give a little to get along, this mine will just shut down and bring in coal from Poland." "NO, NO, NO! WE AIN'T WORKN' ON WEEKENDS NO MORE!" was the reply he heard.

A few weeks later that same guy was applying for a job flipping burgers. The mine (owned by a Caperton) shut right down and moved overseas.

Unions are great WHEN they have their workers in mind (as they did at one time) but when they just exist to get a certain political party in office (such as the teacher's union I used to belong to) the country suffers. Unions demanding a exemption from Obamacare is a case in point. Anyone who demands something for others ought to have to take it themselves.

Myself, I go for the best deal. Until USA wakes up and stops demanding a handout, we'll continue to spiral right on down as a country.

*When it comes to my truck, I go NOS or OEM as much as I can. The only repro part I am considering is a passenger side front inner fender but only because I can't seem to find an original that isn't rusted to heck.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
No doubt you guys are more knowledgable than me on this subject but I am of the mind that govt exists (these days) to price the startup guy out in order to protect the big guy who happens to employ lobbyists.

I saw that the other night on "Stossel" on Fox News.

My dad worked in the coal mines for over 20 years and he saw firsthand, how the union literally put his mine out of business. He warned his coworkers: "guys, if we don't give a little to get along, this mine will just shut down and bring in coal from Poland." "NO, NO, NO! WE AIN'T WORKN' ON WEEKENDS NO MORE!" was the reply he heard.

A few weeks later that same guy was applying for a job flipping burgers. The mine (owned by a Caperton) shut right down and moved overseas.

Unions are great WHEN they have their workers in mind (as they did at one time) but when they just exist to get a certain political party in office (such as the teacher's union I used to belong to) the country suffers. Unions demanding a exemption from Obamacare is a case in point. Anyone who demands something for others ought to have to take it themselves.

Myself, I go for the best deal. Until USA wakes up and stops demanding a handout, we'll continue to spiral right on down as a country.

*When it comes to my truck, I go NOS or OEM as much as I can. The only repro part I am considering is a passenger side front inner fender but only because I can't seem to find an original that isn't rusted to heck.
Well said.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #48
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Well said.
x2!
you can find OEM parts but it will take some extra time
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
If the quality is good I really don't care where I buy it or where it comes from. We're in a global economy folks, embrace it or doom yourself to grumbling about things you will never change. Sorry, but that's reality. Enjoy life and your truck.
Well said.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #50
DWilbur

I ordered some hydraulic clutch parts from LMC and 1 part was OE GM part.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote