The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #501
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackattack View Post
nice

where did you get the double din dash, or did you make it?
x2

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #502
Shoppy2387

I bought a kit from thedetailss.Com, but fibreglassed it all myself.
Shoppy2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #503
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy2387 View Post
I bought a kit from thedetailss.Com, but fibreglassed it all myself.
A little too expensive for me, so I guess I'll just get a different single DIN head unit. Where I live, a big nice nav/dvd player headunit is just more tempting to get your vehicle broken into (had one stolen out of my 'burb)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #504
Ackattack

The other day I finally got the hitch completely installed. It required drilling out 2 holes in the frame and grinding down some rivets a little. I guess that's what happens when you do a little modification.

In other news I finished up my MBA last night. So that will free up a little more time. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can finish up the last few things on the truck to do list. We're going to see what happens, but we may be moving as I start looking for a different job.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #505
Ackattack

I removed the auxilary leaf springs. The weren't really doing anything since I had to remove the rear contact pad when I put the shortbed on anyways. In doing so I also cut a little length off the center bolt.

Finally, I installed the rear air bags. These came off the dodge, but luckily they were set up for both 2.5" and 3" springs so they fit the narrower chevy springs.

I had to order a few fittings for the air lines, so it will be a few days until its all operational. I have a small air compressor that I'm going to wire up that will keep a small tank full, and I can fill these bags. Should work pretty slick.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #506
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Now that you have been driving the truck for a while, do you think that the GM radiator is adequate or do you think that a 2nd gen radiator is in the future?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #507
Ackattack

Well I have more than 3/4 of it blocked right now with it being winter.

Over the summer when it was 105 out, my temps would run under 200. Now when I hook up a trailer to it in 105 heat, I'm not sure. I figure the electric fan is more of a weak link than the actual radiator. No problems so far though.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #508
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Yeah, I honestly wish I had to block my radiator because of weather, but I was outside working on the "new" truck until midnight last night in SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT. So, since I am needing to install a new radiator, I was just wondering if I should upgrade to a 2nd gen radiator, or stick with the GM because it will hold its own. Haven't posted anything on the new truck yet, but I will once the time comes. I have read through this build several times now because you've gone the route I am thinking about going. Also, I am using some tips from your no-buck build on the suburban whenever I get back to that

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #509
Ackattack

I tried using the dodge radiator. It didn't fit real well, and would have required a lot more hacking on the core support.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #510
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Good to know.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #511
ryanroo

core support hacking aint no thang!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #512
Ackattack

Tonight's task was to get the air bags operational.

So first I had to do a little plumbing:

Hooked up the lines, installed the control valve and guages, and then filled the tank with my shop air.

Here it is "aired out"

And here it it is filled up:

Not a whole lot of change height was....oh well.

So I figured if I'm riding around with airbags, I better make sure people know it, so I slapped on a sticker:

I'll get the air compressor hooked up later.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #513
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice low rider there. Bruiser may have to watch out ....it may sneak under em.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #514
RoadDog

Might as well put some train horns on it as well.
RoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #515
classicthrasher

It was a few pages back...but Randolph just north of Manhattan has a decent park for your Jeep.The guys at 4x4 Land in Topeka can give you the low down...been a few years since I've been up there. Also pretty good wheeling around Lake of the Ozarks in MO, and Disney, OK (near Grand Lake). Very nice build. I have a 95 12 valve/nv4500 I'm attempting to stuff into a 49 Chevy 3600.
classicthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #516
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicthrasher View Post
It was a few pages back...but Randolph just north of Manhattan has a decent park for your Jeep.The guys at 4x4 Land in Topeka can give you the low down...been a few years since I've been up there. Also pretty good wheeling around Lake of the Ozarks in MO, and Disney, OK (near Grand Lake). Very nice build. I have a 95 12 valve/nv4500 I'm attempting to stuff into a 49 Chevy 3600.
I sold the jeep in January.....it was a rusted POS.

As for the truck, I got the front diff fluid changed. I inspected the gears while I had it opened up and everything looked great.

The truck is leaking power steering fluid, so I need to check into that. I'm not sure exactly where its leaking from. So we'll see.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #517
COS399

[QUOTE=Ackattack;5953268]I did some reading about dodge's hydroboost puking out fluid and bleeding the system, and I was thinking I had pretty much covered all of those bases. And got me to thinking.....my power steering cooler is about 12" long, and mounted vertically. Well when I'd turn the engine off is when it would puke out a bunch of power steering fluid. So it dawned on me that maybe all of this extra fluid was the cooler draining back into the reservoir (after I wasted a half a quart of fluid). So I rearranged the cooler, had my lovely assistant help me bleed it by steering back and forth and applying the brakes and it all looked good. Took it out for a spin and it all works great! Its SOOOO much nicer driving it with power steering that consistantly works...not to mention safer.

QUOTE]

Ackattack - Just got done reading your build thread and like what you have done. I am having the same issues with my Hydraboost puking. I don't have an external cooler but would you please expand on how to bleed this system. Thanks.

Also, I like your wheel and tire choices. I ordered up the same size tire and wheels. How do you like the Toyo A/T 2s? I ordered up the A/Ts (they were about 200 dollars less.
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #518
84chevyguyid

How is the ride with some air in the bags? did it make it any softer? I am doing air bags on my crew cab. I want to use a little larger diameter rolling lobe style bags and lift it enough that the springs arent holding any weight so its mostly riding on the bag. How many pounds of air do you have to put in to start lifting the truck?

Thanks,
Mike
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #519
ryanroo

If you lift the truck with the air bag, you have effectively increased the spring rate of the rear suspension. that will decrease the ride quality. the benefit of an air bag is to allow a lower spring rate when the truck is unloaded and increase as the load is increased. it allows for a better ride when loaded often, as it can keep the rear suspension at normal ride height under load and that makes the truck feel better. it can also offer stability when loaded as it has an increased spring rate. to get the benefit of better unloaded ride, you need to use the airspring as the primary spring, not as a helper. as a primary spring it can offer low rates that have a good ride unloaded and extreme capacity when loaded all from the same spring. going that route can be like kicking a can of worms over... trust me, hahaha

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #520
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post

Ackattack - Just got done reading your build thread and like what you have done. I am having the same issues with my Hydraboost puking. I don't have an external cooler but would you please expand on how to bleed this system. Thanks.

Also, I like your wheel and tire choices. I ordered up the same size tire and wheels. How do you like the Toyo A/T 2s? I ordered up the A/Ts (they were about 200 dollars less.

I didn't really do anything to bleed the hydroboost system other than operate the brakes and steering while it was running.

The tires are pretty good. I have about 12k miles on the truck now and they're starting to show a little wear, but still lots of tread left. They're pretty quiet (at least compared to the engine). The traction in snow/mud is OK. I did have to put it into 4wd to get out of my driveway the other day, but that is probably more having to do with the fact that I have open diffs than the tires The wear may be attributed to my alignment. The alignment guy suggested I get some offset ball joints to help it out a little, but I didn't. We'll see how they hold up over the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
How is the ride with some air in the bags? did it make it any softer? I am doing air bags on my crew cab. I want to use a little larger diameter rolling lobe style bags and lift it enough that the springs arent holding any weight so its mostly riding on the bag. How many pounds of air do you have to put in to start lifting the truck?

Thanks,
Mike
I haven't really used the air ride (other than messing around) Normally I don't have any air pressure in them and just drive around on the regular springs. The air bag set up may have actually made it a little worse, because when I bolted it all together the bolts that hold the airbag bracket to the leaf springs compressed pulled the springs together, so they're acting more like 1 higher rate spring compared to the multileaf setup that would get stiffer as weight is added. Its not much of a difference if any, although I may back the nuts off a little on the air bag brackets to "help" with this.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #521
Ackattack

My 4wd shifter had a really short throw, making it difficult to get it in the mode that you wanted. This was due to the GM shifter with the Dodge selector linkage and tab.

Basically I needed to increase the throw of the shifter. I could either shorten the shifter or lengthen the selector tab on the transfer case. I chose the selector tab.

The stock tab is approx. 1-1/2 inches center to center. I thought twice as much travel would work well, so I took a piece of metal and cut it 1-1/2 long and welded it into place:

The travel is just about perfect and its easier to get into the mode I want.

Then I moved onto the steering. There has been a lot of slop in the steering. I've had my wife help move the wheel back and forth several times looking for slop in the steering. All of the joints were tight, I had replaced the gear box (for the same reason). So I posted on the 88-98 section, and someone mentioned the rag joint. Well there was a plastic cover over the rag joint so I couldn't see it. When I moved the plastic cover up, sure enough the rag joint was shot. So I got a new rag joint and put it in. Took it for a test drive and its amazing how much better it drives down the road now!!!!

Next on the list is a sway bar. The crossover steering prevents me from using the stock dodge sway bar, the gm one won't fit, so why not try a ford sway bar? The ford swaybars (99 anyways) bolt to the back of the front axle, point backwards and then have links up to the frame. You can see them pretty easily if you look for them. So I went to the salvage yard and found one. I was hoping I could just mount it up to the axle and frame just like the ford setup. Well that didn't work cause it was hitting something.

So what I came up with is to mount the bar to the crossmember that the control arms attach to and then run it forward and attach it to the control arms. Doing it this way it won't be as effective as having it hook directly to the axle, but I figure it's about my only option and it should be an improvement over no sway bar.

I worked on modifying the straps that will bolt onto the crossmemeber, but I need to get some end links.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #522
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

how did you determine where to cut the floor for your t-case shifter?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #523
ryanroo

im pretty sure the cut out dimples are there in the floor pan even on a 2wd cab. so given that he said he used a gm shifter, i bet its in the gm stock location.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #524
Ackattack

Yeah, the floor has the "indention" where the shifter goes, so I just cut out along those lines. Pretty easy.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #525
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

guess I need to take a second look... and clean some grime off. Thanks man

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205