The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
cubber

Question Shorty header downpipes???

Hey, everyone. I was trying to figure out a way to fab up some downpipes so I could start and tune my motor. I have shorty headers that I got from JEGS that are made for our trucks (Hedman #69010), they were like $215 after shipping, if anyone's interested. I wanted something I could bolt or clamp up, as I don't own a welder yet. his would only need to be good enough for very temporary use, pretty much just to se the timing , and drive to the exhaust shop. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Attached Images

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
rogergodding

Re: Shorty header downpipes???

It's hard to tell from your dark pics I have the Sanderson/Chevelle headers that ECE sells and I just went to the muffler shop and told the guy what I was wanting.... I had the collectors with me... and told him a rough angle to bend some pipe to.... I had bought some glass packs as well and just clamped them to the pipes he made for me........ $25 for some temp pipes...
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

You can also use some stiff wire (like a coat hanger wire) that is the length you need and bend it at the angles needed and take that to a muffler shop. If the guy is good, he can use the piece of wire you give him and make pipes from it. I would try and be centered with your wire and make sure you tell him the wire represents the center of the pipe. it sounds more complicated than it is, really.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
cubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
It's hard to tell from your dark pics I have the Sanderson/Chevelle headers that ECE sells and I just went to the muffler shop and told the guy what I was wanting.... I had the collectors with me... and told him a rough angle to bend some pipe to.... I had bought some glass packs as well and just clamped them to the pipes he made for me........ $25 for some temp pipes...
Thanks for noticing the crappy cell phone pics.. I think that is what I'll end up doing, the exhaust shop isn't too far from the house. I guess I'm just a little bewildered. I see you're from Plano, I lived up in the Panhandle for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
You can also use some stiff wire (like a coat hanger wire) that is the length you need and bend it at the angles needed and take that to a muffler shop. If the guy is good, he can use the piece of wire you give him and make pipes from it. I would try and be centered with your wire and make sure you tell him the wire represents the center of the pipe. it sounds more complicated than it is, really.
I think that's worth a try. I wonder if anyone makes a bolt on downpipe?

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've learned over the years to try to get a complete exhaust set up on a rig when starting for the first time, and breaking in the cam. Open headers, or cobbled up short exhausts sound cool... but it's really a good idea to be able to hear what is going on with that engine during the first half an hour of it's life.

Gary.

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
cubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I've learned over the years to try to get a complete exhaust set up on a rig when starting for the first time, and breaking in the cam. Open headers, or cobbled up short exhausts sound cool... but it's really a good idea to be able to hear what is going on with that engine during the first half an hour of it's life.

Gary.
My motor already has 1500 miles on it, put on in a 71 Chevelle, but when I decided to repaint and replace cork gaskets, I had to pull the dist. to get the intake off for cleaning and painting. I just need to set the timing. I would really like to get downpipes that would be permanent, and some straight pieces, and put it all together with clamps and drive it to the exhaust shop to get it welded up.

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
cubber

Got some 3" flex tube at NAPA today. 5ft. for $20. I will clamp half to each side, and maybe even clamp some pipe behind that, for my trip to the exhaust shop. I don't have a trailer right now, and $20 is cheaper than a rollback, or even gas to haul it, so I think it'll do. Thanks for the tips, y'all.

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
SierraMtns

Anyone else running these shorty hedders?
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote