The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
Accelo

I did the trim and the trim won.

I finally have both sides of the tail light trim installed. Drilling the holes in an already painted truck is not my favorite thing to do.
The get the LH side installed I needed to go above the stock recommended hole size. I also ended up denting the aluminum bezel when I taped it in too hard. That one when to the junk pile and I ordered a replacement. After carefully deburring the holes inside and outside and greasing the clip I got it to go without dents. Fast forward to the RH side. I drilled the holes the recommended size and deburred the holes and had absolutely no difficulties getting the aluminum bezel installed. So, I compared the clips from the two sides and low and behold they were quite different. More happy horse S** from the vendors. Picture of the two clips side by side. "It wasn't me."

Tip for laying out the holes for the aluminum bezel using the assembly manual dimensions. I installed the bezel by centering it using the tail light lens for my placement. Then drilled for the two screws. Then use the dimensions from the screw holes to lay out the holes for the clips. I outlined the bezel with tape just for the visual and to keep from making dumb mistakes. This was much easier than using the reference lines laid out in the manual. As the exact placement of the reference lines is almost impossible to ascertain.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 10-31-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
MDFarms

Re: I did the trim and the trim won.

Good work and Thank you for bringing light to double checking the mounting hardware. The Trim install is the single most worry for me when I go to do my build.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
BigBird05

I know it takes time but you should always test mount the trim after the body work and before the paint.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
LS short box

I know its not original but I ran into the same issue when I did the tail light trim on my 68.
So in lieu of drilling the big holes for the clips I added two screw holes to the trim. Upper and lower across from the factory holes. I drilled the holes in the trim and then dented the holes to match the stock holes. No one has ever has ever noticed.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote